I Can Never Fly

You watch as Isabela's eyes widen at the revelation, standing still with an unreadable expression. Breaking the silence, you speak. "That was the reason I've been acting so different. And I'm sorry that I've been getting uneasy."

She swallows the lump forming in her throat, barely even able to speak clearly. "No, I understand why you'd be anxious..." She murmurs.

Taking a deep breath, you take her hand in yours, lifting her chin slightly with your other hand to make her face you. "I want you to think about what you want to do from here on. I hope you know I'm not trying to pressure you. I just want you to be ready, not blindsided."

She nods, almost about to give you a peck on the lips before stopping herself after realizing you were still in a crowd. "Let's talk tomorrow."

Parting ways, you spent the rest of Antonio's celebration away from each other, eventually going home after helping clean up.

And just as promised, the next day came. News of the proposal dinner spread all over the village. Isabela had left you a letter a moment later, stating to meet her in the flower field.

"You know... every time- every time I look in the mirror and see my reflection, I'm unable to recognize the woman who looks back at me." She starts, tears already springing in her eyes. "I see a woman who seems so strong, without any problems, and a heart made of stone. I guess the only thing we have in common is how lonely we were."

"The more I looked, the more I could see how I can't get away from it. All I could think was how I wished to hide from myself. Because the person I see in the mirror isn't me, and she's most definitely not the woman you fell in love with." She says with venom in her voice, disgust with herself dripping on the tone she uses.

"Isabela-" You take a step closer only for Isabela to take a step away from you. Just seeing your face and hearing your voice is making her lose conviction; what more if you touched her?

"But she is the woman I'm in love with. Why should you have a say in which parts of you I love? I love all of you, even the very sides of yourself that you reject." You state, looking directly into her beautiful hazel eyes, falling into their golden shine under the sun.

She clenches her jaw, her eyes desperate and confused as her voice starts to rise in tension. "Stop... I don't know her! Who even is Isabela Madrigal? I don't know the woman they claim to be perfect and well-loved! She's nowhere near who I really am so stop claiming to love a façade!"

Despite your lover starting to lose her temper, you remain calm, trying to keep your emotions in check. "I don't love the mask you have on, but the true identity behind it. I love the you that puts her family first, even if that meant having to put yourself second and leaving me in an indefinite spot of your priorities."

As you continue to speak, Isabela whispers under her breath desperately, and you barely catch it. "Please... stop."

"I love the you that bears the responsibilities and duties you have; the you that's strong-minded even if it's just a brave face you have on. Most of all, I love the you that's selfless; even if it meant being unhappy, you would take all the burden just to make other people pleased. And that makes you so strong, mi amor."

"Don't you get it?! That's the same as saying you love the woman that chose another man over you!" She states this with guilt all over her features. A part of her wanted you to be angry because the pain of being treated kindly was unbearable. "And you shouldn't. I can't keep letting you love someone that neither of us will eventually be able to recognize..."

You take another step forward hesitantly, and take her hand in yours, planting a gentle kiss on the back of it when Isabela doesn't try to avoid you.

"I do and always will recognize you. No matter how far you get or how much you change- I'll always recognize all the effort you're putting in just to live up to their expectations. All of that, and everything you've been doing up until now... it's still all you. It's what makes you, you. And that's exactly why you need me, to help you realize when you're pushing yourself too far. If I'm not around, I only fear that you'll push yourself off of that edge."

She places a hand on her head, gripping her skull slightly in stress. "So what are you saying, that we stay a secret for the rest of our lives? You deserve better than that!"

"I'm saying you need to use that strength in fighting for what you want instead. You deserve just as much as me; you deserve to be loved alongside all your flaws and imperfections. After all, it's what makes you so perfect in my eyes."

Shaking her head, she lets out a laugh, mocking herself with sarcasm in her tone. "We both know I don't have that kind of strength... Let's face it, I can never fly alongside you, not when I've never had wings in the first place. I've already told you once, I can't choose between you and my family... If we only could, I'd keep us hidden away forever if it meant you could stay by my side."

"Is that really your final answer...?" You watch your lover nod her head in shame, unable to look you in the eyes, the familiar feeling of feeling so small under a disappointed gaze.

In the end, she couldn't be the woman you needed while trying to be someone else for the rest of the people at the same time.

"I told you on the day I confessed that I wouldn't make you choose. I guess this is the day to finally fulfill that promise." Taking a step closer, you plant a bittersweet kiss on her forehead before taking several steps back and turning away from her. "I love you, more than anything. And if this is what you want to do, I won't stop you."

Your voice shakes, doing your best to stop yourself from crying in front of her and taking deep breaths, hoping the desperation in your voice won't be too obvious. "But if you change your mind... If you're ready to fight for us, then I want you to know that I'll be waiting."

As you leave, Isabela speaks as she watches your retreating figure. "This loneliness... The only one who saved me from it was you. Thank you, for loving someone as hopeless as me."

-

A/N: Lol I was writing this in the middle of work and teared up like an idiot :')

Someone started playing Reflection by Lea Salonga and it fit perfectly as the scenario played in my head. Anyway, hope y'all enjoyed this chapter and made y'all happy with the quick update. Sorry it's short tho lmao. Cheers.