Do i tell? Or Do i hide?

"Hey Dave, sorry for the mess, drank too much, fell over me own shoes haha"
Dave walked in he looked around then looked at Liam and couldn't help but think something wasn't right, things were in the wrong place, Liam's injuries didn't match the scene, Dave didn't know if he should say anything but he felt maybe it was time. For weeks now he'd noticed little things that seemed off, didn't add up or were just plain strange and he was worried. "So Liam what's up?" "What you mean? Nowts up" Liam tried to sound a bit jokey but it probably come across more defensive. He watched Dave as he looked around obviously taking everything in, worried Liam knew, he knew it was time, Dave was gonna ask and push for a true answer now Liam needed to decide if he should tell the truth or hide it and he knew he only had minutes.
Dave walked past him to the nearest seat pushed the stuff covering it onto the floor, he didn't say anything, just continued looking around.
Dave didn't know what to do, he knew Liam was lying and something was up, something he couldn't talk to Noel about. Usually it ended up liam got drunk, got high and got into a fight and all was well but lately Dave had noticed that sometimes Liam would go off too his room alone, he'd suddenly go quiet, off in his own world, he'd noticed injuries that Liam couldn't really explain or he'd outright lie about like last week he said he'd got in a fight when actually he hadn't left his hotel all that week, but how the hell to start asking about it he didn't know, Liam had a short temper, he'd get defensive and Dave may well be risking a punch in the face. He looked over at Liam who had now sat on the floor and to his surprise all he could see in Liam's eyes were fear and sadness.
Well here goes, it's now or never dave decided to risk it. "Liam listen I know somethings up, you've been different it's like your being you but it's tiring you out, things aren't adding up like stuff you say, stuff your doing. Come on you can talk to me, I won't tell Noel, hell I won't tell anyone just let me help" Dave braced himself for a mass of abuse, excuses and maybe a punch but nothing came Liam stayed silent and the silence seemed to be lasting forever.
Damn it he asked Liam's brain began to run in circles. Do I tell the truth, do I lie, can I get away with a half truth and half lie? Or shall I just go off on a rant of abuse maybe throw in a punch or do I just go on a rant of how I really feel? Liam was brought back from his thoughts by Dave's voice "Liam please talk to me" Liam lifted his head and looked up at Dave, god what must I look like sitting on the floor arms round his knees, empty bottles and cans, bits of broken mirror all around him and the blood on the carpet next to him. He took a breath in, reached for his cigarettes, lit one and took another deep breath.
"If I talk to you, you can't tell Noel, you can't tell anyone not even me Mam"
"Don't worry I promise, I promise nothing will leave this room and I promise I'll help you"
Again Liam took a deep breath he reached for his ashtray and cigarettes, then noticed he had some unopened cans of larger so pulled those over too.
"You want one?" Liam held out a can
"Aye thanx might as well"
So Liam knew it was time, he didn't know where to begin, what to say, or even if he should but he knew he had too and someways he knew it would help.
"Well, you know what I'm like, I'm a fucking nutter always doing stupid shit and stuff but sometimes I just feel so tired, like I've got to put on an act, keep myself looking like a nutter but I'm really feeling like so down like I feel alone, I just can't face things, can't get out of bed and I hate myself I look at windows and think of jumping out of them. I've been up and down since I was a kid, crazy one minute depressed the next, I mean you know the stories and stuff from back then"
"Yep I know you were a bit of a handful, your mum says you gave her more worry and hassle than Noel and Paul put together" Dave laughed
Liam smiled, at least Dave was not looking at him with pity. He knew he was still talking around the issues not directly about them but he had never been any good at talking about feelings, never been any good at explaining things, not used to talking about serious stuff but at least he was trying.
"I guess in short I'm depressed, I hate myself, I'm suicidal, I'm exhausted yet sometimes I'm on top of the world, I feel invincible, like I'm the best person around and fuck everyone else"
"So you gonna tell me what happened today? How I can help"
"I woke up having a bad day, I got angry with myself, with Noel, with everyone. I punched the mirror and yes I used bits of the mirror to cut myself, it calms me down. I've never wanted to slash my wrists on that side of things I tend to think about jumping out of windows. I saw a doctor they gave me some pills but I'm not doing to well at remembering to take them or to get my prescription, maybe you could help me with that? I can't ask Noel I haven't even told him I'm on pills"
"Ok right well I can help you with that, maybe set something up so I can get your prescription on a regular basis, send you a message every morning to remind you to take them how's that sound?
"Sounds good" Liam replied quietly his voice different, more scared not the confident voice Dave was used too. Looking at Liam sitting there was breaking his heart and the next suggestion he was going to make would be a tricky one, he knew therapy could be helpful but it was something totally at odds with Liam's personality, his upbringing, his attitude, it wasn't the done thing for a working class lad from Manchester but Dave felt it important to let him know the option was there.
"Have you thought of therapy, maybe talking to someone?" "Don't be fucking stupid I'm not a bloody pansy, I don't need some stuck up Twat asking me about my feelings. Anyway I can talk to you now can't i" "of course you can but I'm not qualified so I don't know how much use I'll be" "you'll listen, you'll keep me right" Dave knew it was going to be hard but he had to help, he couldn't leave Liam like this, he couldn't let him feel alone not when he knew who Liam was, what he could be, he knew how decent he was, how loyal he was, how could he leave one of his best friends to suffer. Liam looked up at him and smiled "we gonna do this then?" "Aye liam of course"