Chapter Two: Ham Sandwich

Hazel POV:

My office is extremely modern and almost like Theo's. Large glass windows, gray furniture, and white marble floors. The only difference is mine is more feminine. There's touches of pink here and there, giving the room a homely feel.

My favorite aspect of my office is the large portrait of Mila and Kai hanging up on the wall. It was just a shot I took on my iPhone, nothing professional, but it turned out the best.

Kai is holding Mila on our couch and they're both fast asleep. He's laying back with his feet kicked up and she's asleep on top of his chest. The photo is in black and white, making the moment look even more precious.

"Hazel? Did you hear me?" A male voice says, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I clear my throat and apologize saying, "Sorry, no. Can you repeat that?"

My boss stands in front of me and smiles. He's in his late forties and is starting to go gray. Carter is a nice guy, but there's just something about him that makes me not want to relax when I'm in his presence.

"Welcome back. I'm sorry that we had to bring you back into the office after working at home for so long."

Carter smiles at me and I move to set my bags down. Carrying Mila, her diaper bag, and our lunch bags isn't easy.

"It's fine. Thank you for allowing me to bring Mila." I comment, taking a seat in my leather chair behind my desk.

"No problem. She's a very pretty little girl."

Carter walks around my desk and sits on the edge. He takes a closer look at Mila and reaches out to stroke the top of her head.

"Although she isn't Theo and I's biologically, she does look a lot like him. They have the same blonde hair and eye shape. It doesn't hurt that she's a Daddy's girl too."

I chuckle and so does Carter. My little laugh makes my chest bounce, startling Mila. She lifts her head off of my shoulder and smacks her lips together. Her innocent hazel eyes peer up at me and she blinks slowly.

"Good morning, pea. Are you feeling better now?"

"Wan chur bewbie." Mila whines while rubbing her face on my left breast.

A awkward laugh escapes me and I'm quick to say, "Hold on a minute, pea."

Carter is still standing by my desk and I implore him with my eyes to leave. Normally, I have no problem nursing in front of people, but Carter makes me feel iffy. I'm not comfortable nursing in front of him.

"I'll go ahead and leave you to get to it. It's good to have you back, Hazel." Carter says as he stands up and makes his way to my office door.

I'm glad he got the hint. Mila wouldn't have waited much longer for her morning milk. She usually nurses first thing after waking up and I'm surprised she made it this long.

"Okay, Mama's getting your milky."

I unbutton the top of my blouse and pull my breast out of the cup of my bra. I'm starting to regret not wearing a nursing bra today. Whatever, I'm just going to roll with the punches.

Mila latches on and I adjust her a little bit so it's not as painful. Her pink bow lips wrap around my areola and they move as she suckles.

"That's Mama's sweet girl. You drink your fill while I start working."

With that said, I start up my email and quickly shoot off a message to Scarlett and Camden. It's just a couple videos of Mila babbling about Briella, but I figured they would like it. Mila misses her little friend and I'm hoping they can meet up again soon.