Chapter Thirty-Two: Just Like Mila

Hazel POV:

"You better get your bum bum on that potty, Mila!" I bellow across the room when my baby girl begins to squat down in her telltale pooping position.

She stares up at me with my innocent eyes, running barefoot into the bathroom to sit on her training toilet.

"Are we supposed to go poopy on the floor?" I question her once she's safely on the pot.

She shakes her head slowly, blinking those big hazel eyes at me. She hasn't gone yet, so I squat down in front of her to sing the potty song. That usually helps her go.

Except my song doesn't work this time. All Mila does is stare blankly ahead. "Fine, you can get off the potty, but don't go poop on my new floors. That will make Mama very angry."

"Miwa nu pewp on da fwoor." She confirms with a cute rapid nod of her head.

"That's right. Go ahead and get off the potty." She stands and pulls her underwear back up, running off into her playroom.

As soon as I straighten up and stand, my phone let's out a shrill shriek. Groaning, I kick Mila's toilet to the side and rush off to my office where I left it. I get there just in time to answer with a breathless, "Hello?"

The other line is silent for a second, static crackling every now and then until a throat clears. "Is this Hazel Thomas?" A distinctly feminine voice asks.

"This is she. May I ask who this is?"

"My name is Everly. It's taken forever for me to get into contact with you. I know it sounds crazy, but just hang on for a second," She pauses, taking a deep breath, "I have a son. He's two years older than your little girl. I think they may have the same condition.

"His doctors have only heard of one other person with his disorder. They directed me to you. Lucus is seventeen, yet hasn't grown past the size of an average four year old. He has the same toddler-like features and the same sweet voice.

"I found your Instagram and through your Instagram, I found your business phone number. I... I just want Lucus to have a friend. He's so lonely. He wants a friend that understands his struggles. I know Mila lives her life has a toddler and so does Lucus.

"But when he gets into the frame of mind where he's actually acting his age, I see the desire to not be the only person like him. I guess I was wondering if maybe some day the two could at least FaceTime? That way he understands that he's not alone? That's all I ask of you." The woman's hopefulness sinks into my ears.

This is huge! Another child like Mila! She could have a friend. An actual friend that understands her struggles.

"Do you maybe want to do a FaceTime right now?" I offer the woman. This is big news and I can hardly contain myself.

"Sure! This is great. Thank you." The call drops for a second while she switches over to a FaceTime call.

The first thing I see when I accept the call is a woman slightly younger than me. She has shaggy brown hair with matching brown eyes. There's tears in the corners of her eyes as she yells for Lucus in a heavily accented voice. I'm guessing Italian, based on her darker features.

A little boy comes running into the room dressed in Superman pajamas. He's carrying a sippy cup under his arm with a big smile on his face. He has the cutest curly brown hair with green eyes instead of brown. I'm guessing her got those from his father.

"This is Mila's mommy, Lucus. I finally got ahold of her." Everly tells her son.

His jaw drops to the floor as he grabs his mom's phone, his sippy cup now forgotten. "You're really her? Mila is truly like me?" He asks in the sweetest voice ever. Second to only my pea.

"Yeah. Hold on, let me call for Mila."

Muting the phone, I shout for my pea. She comes running in not even a second later, dressed only in her little mermaid underwear.

"Pea, I understand you're feeling little right now, so you might not understand what I'm telling you. All you have to do is listen. Okay?" I wait for her to nod before saying, "A woman named Everly called me earlier. She has a son with the same disorder as you. He's seventeen and wants to talk with you on FaceTime."

Mila has the same reaction as Lucus. Her mouth drops open in shock, her hazel eyes widening to the point where I think they're going to pop out of the socket.

"I gotta go put some clothes on!" She shrieks, rushing out of the room only to return in her big girl clothes.

I've never seen her come out of headspace that fast. It's truly amazing. She must be really excited.

"Gimme the phone, Mama!" She demands.

Passing her the phone, I watch as she unmutes it. "Mila?" I hear Lucus ask.

"Yeah, I'm Mila." Her cheeks redden adorably.

"I'm Lucus." He states lamely.

"Cool. You're like me?" My pea questions.

"Just like you. Only I stopped aging physically at four. Other than that, I'm exactly like you. Mom took me to a lot of doctors and they only knew of one other case, yours. Mom's been trying to find you for like six months now because the doctors wouldn't give us your names.

"Just the state you guys lived in. They were scared of violating HIPPA. She ended up finding you through old court documents from when your bio parents abandoned you. I'm sorry about that."

Mila shakes her head vehemently. "It's okay. I have Mom, Dad, and two brothers now. Well, technically one, but my brother has a boyfriend and he's like a second brother to me."

"Cool! I have an older sister. She's nineteen and is off at university in the states."

"Where do you guys live?" Mila inquires.

"Italy. Mom wants to come visit the states to meet you guys. I told her it's way too soon and we don't have a lot of money." Over Mila's shoulder, I can see Lucus turn his head away with a pout.

"Then how can you sister afford to go to school here?"

"She's on a scholarship. She's really smart." Lucus' voice takes on a proud tone. It's clear that he looks up to his sister.

"My mommy and daddy have lots of money. We can come see you! That would be awesome!"

My kid is signing me up for something we haven't even talked about yet. Yes, Lucus has the same disorder as Mila, but they could still be dangerous. I'll have to get to know his family before I even think about hopping on an airplane to a different country.

"For real!? That would be awesome! I could show you my superhero room!" Lucus is bouncing on the spot, clearly excited about the prospect of showing off his prized bedroom.

"I have a huge playroom! There's a castle and a ball pit. Maybe mom and dad could pay for you to come here instead."

In the background, I can hear Everly chuckling. "I'm glad you kids are getting along, but this is something that the adults have to plan and it won't be right away."

Just hearing Everly say that has my nerves calming slightly. It seems as though she agrees with me.

Mila turns to look at me with her big pleading eyes. "Please, Mama? He's just like me. I've never met anybody just like me!"

"Mila, I just met these people. Let's give it some time, okay? Rushing off to meet strangers in a different country isn't a good idea. We'll get to know them, then make the decision to meet when the time comes. Okay? For now, you're more than welcome to speak to Lucus whenever your want as long as it's okay with Everly."

She pouts and nods, clearly not happy. At least she isn't arguing. I would hate to have to discipline her in front of her new friend.

"I can already tell we're going to be the best of friends, Mila." Lucus exclaims happily.

"Me too! I can't wait until Mama says it's time to meet each other."

Lord, I know she's going to drive me nuts over the next few weeks. I might as well set up FaceTime on her iPad. I'm just worried about how Theo is going to react. Especially because it's a boy. He'll probably have a heart attack.

He'll just have to deal with it. I think Lucus is just what Mila needs.