Chapter Twelve: Theo's Birthday Morning

Hazel POV:

A small cry emits from the nursery, signaling that Mila is finally awake. I'm quick to get her before she wakes up Theo. It's his birthday today and I want him to have a day where he sleeps in. Especially because he's been taking good care of me in the two weeks since the mugging, and my subsequent head injury.

It's truly ironic how close together Theo and Mila's birthday's are. We talked about having a joint birthday celebration, but ultimately decided against it. This is Mila's first birthday with us and we want it to be special. Hence, the trip to Disney Land. We're just going to do a small dinner with our family for Theo's birthday. He's turning thirty-seven and just wants something small.

I couldn't figure out what to get him as a present. Not to sound pretentious, but we're rich. If we want something, we just buy it. That makes it hard to shop for Theo. He said he didn't want a present, but I had to get him something. That's why I got him something to open at dinner, and something to open in private for tonight.

Another cry comes from the nursery and I finally decide to get up. Walking into the nursery, I spot my baby girl sitting up in her crib. She's rubbing her eyes while whimpering. "Good morning, pea. Did you have a good sleep?" I ask in a whisper, lifting her up into my arms.

"I dweam of chu an' Dada." Mila states while laying her head down on my shoulder.

"You dreamed of Dada and I? Wow, what were we doing?" I comment as I lay Mila down on her changing table.

She's silent for a while as I change her diaper, dressing her in a onesie that says 'Daddy Is My Hero' once I'm done.

"Chu gibbin Miwa kissys." Mila says with a sleepy smile. Instead of heading back into my bedroom, I move to the rocking chair and sit down. I'm wearing one of Theo's shirts and a pair of underwear, so all I have to do is lift my shirt for my breast to be revealed.

My baby doesn't seem to want to nurse right now. She's content to just sit in silence while I rock the both of us. She'll occasionally smile at me when she realizes I'm staring at her. "You're so beautiful. Mama loves you." I whisper sentimentally, leaning down to press a kiss to the top of Mila's head.

Finally, Mila notices my breast is out. She leans over with an open mouth and latches on. I swipe some of her blonde hair out of her face and watch her lips as she suckles. Her whole body practically melts against mine as she relaxes.

Her tiny pink lips move as she suckles, her left hand already sneaking under my shirt. I chuckle when I feel her grasp my other nipple, playing with it. "Is that fun, baby?" I question with a smile.

She nods and goes back to drinking. It's a peaceful kind of quiet right now. I savor it, knowing that Mila is going to be as loud as possible once she's finished nursing.

Twenty minutes pass until Mila unlatches herself. She releases a loud burp, then wiggles off my lap. I follow close behind her as she marches into my bedroom and tries to climb up on the bed. Before she can wake Theo, I lift her up and whisper, "It's Daddy's birthday. You have jump on him and yell, 'Happy birthday Daddy!' Can you do that for me?"

Mila nods and points to the bed, signaling that she wants to be put down. I place her on my sheets and watch as she slowly crawls towards Theo. When she reaches his side, she stands up, and proceeds to jump onto his stomach yelling, 'HAFFY BWIRFDAY DADA!"

Theo grunts, his eyes shooting open. I'm pretty sure Mila just knocked the wind out of him. "Is chur bwirfday!" My baby reiterates.

"It is! Thank you for the birthday jump, ladybug." Theo groans as he rubs his side.