Chapter Thirty-Four: Broken Bones

Theo POV:

As is our luck, Mila's arm is broken. Snapped right in the middle of her forearm. If that wasn't bad enough, it's not something that can be repaired with just a cast. She needs surgery to place pins in her arm. This girl just can't seem to catch a break.

My poor baby is currently laying in my arms, sleeping soundly from the pain medicine. She whimpers every once in a while, settling quickly when I start to pat her diapered butt.

The staff have continued to give us weird looks, since they know Mila's real age. Some have even outright asked why we're treating her like a baby. Hazel explained it's because that's how Mila's grown comfortable with her size. A partial truth.

Hazel sighs from her sitting position on Mila's hospital bed, tossing her phone to the side. She runs her fingers through her tangled brown hair, growling in frustration before she puts it up into a messy bun.

"I'm going to get us something to eat from the cafeteria. You okay here with Mila?" She asks me.

I nod, looking down at my sleeping girl. She's now wearing a hospital gown, an IV is in the back of her hand, and a monitor is wrapped around her big toe. Her pink bow lips are parted as she sleeps deeply. I can even see the purple-ish veins underneath her eyelids.

My little cherub baby.

"Do you have a taste for anything?"

"Chicken salad if they have it. If not, a burger would be fine. The doctor said Mila can eat since her surgery isn't going to be tonight. They don't have enough operating rooms open." I comment with a shrug.

"I'll grab her something. She has to be hungry. Alright. I'll be back." Hazel stands, leaning over to place a brief kiss on Mila's head.

Our girl mumbles, her head tossing back and forth with her lips pursing. Oh lord. She wants the boob.

"Here. I expressed this in the bathroom. Your mom is going to bring my pump. I texted her." I'm handed a twelve ounce bottle full of milk. God, my wife is an overproducer.

I rub the nipple of the bottle over my baby's lips, waiting for her to latch on. It takes her a second to realize there's a bottle right there. When she does, she latches on and suckles for all she's worth.

"There you go." I murmur, lifting the bottle to make sure she's not sucking on air. We definitely don't need her having an upset stomach on top of a broken arm.

While feeding Mila, I hear a nurse approach our door and three sharp knocks. Yelling for them to enter, I pull the bottle out of my ladybug's mouth. I doubt she wants the nurse seeing that.

In walks a middle aged woman in green scrubs. "Hello, I'm nurse Alana. I'm going to be Mila's overnight nurse. How's she doing?"

"The pain medicine is working, as you can see." I gesture with my free hand to where Mila's sound asleep, a drop of milk running out of her open lips.

I laugh awkwardly, swiping the drop away. Alana seems to catch on pretty quickly. She walks over, crouching down in front of me.

"Don't be embarrassed. Honestly, the nurses have been talking about the 'baby dwarf', but it's clear that she loves you and y'all love her, so who cares how you guys chose to live your lives. I think it's quite sweet."

A frown forms on my face when I think about those people making fun of Mila. She doesn't deserve that, especially when she's not feeling well.

"Well, thank you." Leaning over, I grab the bottle and offer it to Mila again.