Chapter Ten: Big Brother West

Hazel POV:

Kai returns home around lunch time. West is with him and they both seem to be in a good mood. They're clinging to each other as they walk in the door, both sporting large smiles. It's cute to see them all cuddly like this.

"It's nice to have you boys home for a change." I comment when Kai rounds the sofa to give me a hug.

"Yeah, we thought we would come visit you and see how you're doing." Kai shrugs and puts his hands in his pockets.

"I'm doing better today. My head still hurts, but it's going to be that way for a while." I smile at Kai while West comes up to my side and gives me a gentle hug.

"I'm sorry this happened to you, Hazel. Mom said if you need anything she's just a call away."

"Thank you, West. That's very kind of your Mom."

To be honest, I haven't really spoken to West's parents. I have their phone numbers, but haven't used them. They seem like a nice couple. I'm just really hesitant to let anybody else in on our lives. Especially neighbors.

Mila doesn't grow and in a year or so they'll be wondering why she isn't getting any bigger. Close family knows and I'm sure Kai has even hinted at it with West. I'm just not ready for the judgment that comes with telling people about Mila. I'm not embarrassed by her. All I'm trying to do is protect her.

"Where's Mila?" Kai asks as he plops down on West's lap.

"Upstairs taking a nap." I hold up the baby monitor, showing Kai the footage. My baby is sleeping on her tummy with her butt in the air. She's sucking on her pacifier while making these cute little noises.

"When can I wake her up? West wants to try and get her out of bed."

That's not a very good idea. Mila and West go together like oil and water. They don't. Mila just doesn't like him since he takes up a lot of Kai's time now. She misses her brother and wants him all to herself.

"Why do you want to get her out of bed, West?" I question.

His cheeks get red and he clears his throat before saying, "My Mom just told me she's pregnant and I want to practice a little bit before the baby comes. I don't really have experience taking care of a baby."

West scratches his head awkwardly and I smile. This is going to be so cute watching him try and take care of Mila. Pulling out my phone, I text Theo to grab his baby monitor to watch. He's out in the garden with my parents. They'll enjoy this too.

"Oh! Well, come on then. I'll just stand outside the door so Mila doesn't see me. She'll automatically want me if she sees me." I wave my hand towards the stars and slowly stand up so I don't get a head rush.

We all slowly walk upstairs and stop at the nursery door. Kai opens it a bit and looks around inside. "Let's go." He tells West.

***
West POV:

Kai guides me into the room by the arm of my shirt. I'm nervous. I'm going to be a big brother and I have no idea how to handle that. Mom's probably going to get a nanny, but I want to help out as much as I can. That includes changing diapers and all that good stuff.

I've taken care of my cousins in the past, but never when they were newborns. They were also older than two. Pretty much out of diapers.

"Just lift her and let her slowly wake up in your arms. She might be cranky at first, and that's okay. All you have to do is hold her." Kai instructs once we're both standing in front of the crib.

Leaning down, I gently grab Mila under her armpits and lift her up into my arms. She rests her head on my shoulder and whines in my ear. I don't think she was done sleeping.