Chapter Six: Mila Meets A Baby

Hazel POV:

Mila's currently bouncing off the walls in my office. She's excited because one of my coworkers are bringing in their newborn today. Kara is her name and she's still on maternity leave, but everybody's been dying to meet her son.

That includes Mila. I honestly think my little girl is going to hog the baby. She loves them. Whenever we're out in public and she sees a baby, she'll squeal excitedly and point at it.

Mila runs across my office again and wiggles her tiny body onto the couch, then proceeds to jump off of it. I roll my eyes and push my chair away from my desk saying, "Pea? You need to chill out. Little babies need quiet or they get scared. Okay?"

"Otay, Mama. When da baybee comin?"

"Kara will be here soon. Why don't we go see if there's any snacks in the kitchen?"

I know for a fact there's some donuts somebody brought in. They'll make a good distraction. "Come on, pea. Let's go get a snack."

Mila runs over to me and I lift her up, carrying her out of my office door. I'm just about to turn into the kitchen, when Mila squeals excitedly and shouts, "Baybee! Baybee!"

Kara is standing by one of my coworkers cubicles and holding her tiny son. She turns to the sound of Mila's voice and smiles at her. "Remember what I told you about keeping your voice down, pea? You don't want to scare little Jax."

"Good morning, little miss Mila. Do you want to see the baby?" Kara offers as she walks her way towards us.

Mila nods and Kara presents Jax to us. He's a tiny thing with light brown hair. His eyes are closed and he's sucking on a pacifier. My little girl leans over in my arms to get a closer look and a big smile takes over her face.

She looks up at Kara, smiles, then points at Jax saying, "Baybee."

"Do you want to hold him?" Kara offers.

Oh lord. The way Mila bounces excitedly is all the answer Kara needs. "Why don't we go to my office? I have a couch we can sit on so Mila can hold him safely. She loves babies."

"Sounds good to me."

I guide Kara into my office while Mila keeps trying to get a peek at the baby. She's giggles and smiles as I set her down on, surrounding her body with blankets and pillows so she can hold Jax safely.

"Pea? You need to be very gentle with Jax. He's not like one of your dolls, okay? Mama's going to help you hold him." I say softly as I crouch down in front of Mila.

Kara leans down and places Jax in Mila's arms. He's so tiny compared to my tiny girl. I make sure to keep one hand beneath his head and neck, supporting him where Mila can't.

"Look at you! Such a good friend." Kara coos, snapping some pictures on her phone.

My baby seems like she's in heaven right now. Her smile hasn't left her face as she uses one hand to hold Jax's. He grips her finger in a tight grip and Mila laughs. The sound wakes Jax right up and Kara holds her breath.

"He doesn't do good with other people holding him. I'm waiting on the tears." Kara admits while anxiously tapping her foot.

Jax slowly blinks his eyes open and his eyebrows furrow. He coos a tiny bit, but wiggles closer to my baby. "He likes you, pea!"

"Dis Miwa fwend." Mila says seriously while nodding her head.

"That's your friend? It's going to be a little bit before he can play with you, but I'm sure he's happy to have a friend."