☞︎ Chapter Five ☜︎

TW: Swears, death, homophobia

Lucy woke up to a message tone from her phone. Her best friend, Caroline. Also needing to blink to make sure she read that time of 8pm right.

They've been friends for as long as Lucy could remember, they had their ups and downs, but in the end, she was the only person Lucy could hold contact with.

Currently the holding contact is not working too well. They hadn't talked in at least two months.

Caroline
We gotta talk, my sister is picking you up in ten. We will meet in the park.

A cold shiver went down her spine. Everytime she wrote that, either Lucy or Caroline was in trouble.

Lucy suspected she was in trouble. Her friend was more likely to write 'I have to tell you something' rather than 'We gotta talk', if Caroline would be in trouble.

Of course with her suspicion her nerves were acting up. Lucy wasn't exactly the person to be anxious, but she was an overthinker, which often made her more anxious than she needed to be.

Her thoughts raced faster than she wanted them to while she got herself out of her pj's. She fingercombed her wavy hair quickly, obviously not having much time before Luisa would pick her up.

Lucy packed a small bag with anything important she'd need, quickly heading outside with just seconds to spare before the all too familiar red car turned up.

She quickly hopped in, flashing Caroline's sister a quick, nervous smile.

The car ride was awfully quiet. Lucy wanted to speak, but she couldn't. So they both sat in silence for the drive.

They stopped. Luisa motioned for Lucy to leave the car, and she did.

Caroline opened her arms up for a hug, nervously smiling. "Hello! I haven't seen you in so long!", Caroline said as Lucy awkwardly hugged her back.

Lucy smiled, her nerves being slowly eased.

"And how is life right now for you?", Caroline asked. "Quite good, I met a bunch of new people who all stream minecraft and somehow I didn't know them, but they seem to be at least somewhat famous or so, because I had to turn off my notification, since my phone wouldn't stop buzzing. The university send my official Bachelor certificate, so yeah, all that made me very happy.", Lucy rambled.

"WAIT. Do you mean I didn't dream, when I saw that Dream, Wilbur, Tommy and all those other mcyts follow you?!", Caroline looked at Lucy shocked.

"...No, I guess not, you probably just missed the streams where I played among us and jackbox with them...", she said unsure why Caroline was so shocked.

"WHAT?! Do you know how big they are?!", she stared at Lucy. "Why the fuck does their height matter now?!", Lucy asked completely confused.

"Not their height, the numbe- OHH, you don't look at numbers other than their birthday, sorry I forgot about that...", Caroline apologized.

"That's alright", Lucy chuckled, "but you wanted to talk about something."

Caroline nodded being taken aback, motioning for the two of them to sit down on a nearby bench.

"Spit it out. Who is in trouble?", Lucy asked. Her nervousness slowly returned as Caroline started talking.

"Depends.", she took a deep breath looking into Lucy's eyes. After just a few seconds, which felt like a lifetime it was all Lucy needed to have a good clue what this was about, making her even more nervous now.

"You and your smart brain probably already figured it out, but please I need to say it for myself.", Caroline took another deep breath.

"I don't remember the first day we met or the first time we called each other friends. But I do remember the time when my cousin died and you checked up on me everyday. I was never abled to forget about it. Since then I wasn't abled to think of anything but you. My cousin died a year ago. Before that we had known each other for roughly 15 years. But only a year ago I realised that what I feel for you isn't just a friendship.", she fiddled with her fingers, glancing up at Lucy from time to time as she continued, "I wanna kiss you, I wanna be with you. I like you, I have a crush on you. And it's alright if you don't feel this way, but I needed to tell you, if that is the end of our friendship it's alright, I just want you to know."

Lucy took a shaky breath, just now realising how long she had held it, while taking in the words and thinking of an answer.

"Listen... I- I don't feel like that for- for you, but I do not want to loose you as a friend... I like you, but, just as nothing more than a friend. I don't... want to let you go, I still want you to be my friend, because to me you sadly are just that...", Lucy said slowly, already regretting half of the words she already said.

Caroline stoped fidgeting with her fingers, looking up at Lucy. "You would still be friends with me?", she whispered. "Of course, why wouldn't I?", Lucy looked at Caroline frowning. "People I told about my crushes always thought it was gross since I am a lesbian and they just stopped talking to me.", Lucy smiled, she knew about her friend's sexuality, sometimes it had been blatantly obvious, though Caroline has never actually stated it to Lucy. "I am not gonna judge you for who you love, it's your life, not mine, also it would be very dumb if I would be homophobic. I mean I like women too in the way of romantic attraction, though a little less than men.", Lucy hugged her smaller friend, who was slightly sniffling by now.

"I don't know how I deserve you, even as just a friend.", Caroline sobbed a little bit, Lucy just chuckled. "You deserve the world.", Caroline stated smiling. "Says you", Lucy laughed.

It started to rain. Caroline let go of Lucy. "Well, this is unfortunate, ehm, I didn't tell my parents I was going out... So I would need to get home, could you give me a ride?"

Caroline nodded quickly. "Sure, my car is just around the corner.", she said. Both jogged to Caroline's car, quickly getting in. It was dark by now, since they met up just before the sunset.

Caroline started driving and Lucy closed her eyes, listening to the rain dripping onto the car and the relaxing melancholic music silently playing, as Caroline carefully and slowly drove. Lucy saw one last bright light with a loud noise before everything faded to black.