☞︎ Chapter Fourteen ☜︎

TW: slight body dysmorphia, swears

Lucy slowly awoke, Niki's bed next to her mattress was empty already, but she was thankful she had slept without a nightmare for two whole days now.

It still hasn't dawned on her, it was her 19th birthday. She had never cared about it enough, she would only receive small presents from dad and maybe also cousins or aunts and uncles. Her mother basically always forgot. The last birthday she had gotten a present from her mother was her 14th birthday, after then she would always forget or work until 7pm and then watch TV, not even wishing her only daughter a happy birthday.

Lucy slowly got up, changing out of the oversized black nirvana shirt and the pyjama shorts she was wearing, into another black shirt and simple sage green sweatpants.

She stretched one last time, before she walked into the bathroom. All of the apartment she had seen had been empty and eerily silent.

She brushed her teeth, checked if her wavy hair still held up the way it was supposed to and finally looked at herself in the mirror. Noticing the dark circles under her eyes, her cheekbones not even visible, just a round face. She didn't see the jawline, as she pushed her hair behind her ears, realising how big they were.

She didn't like what she saw. Or who she saw. She didn't recognize herself. Not realising how wrong that image of herself was. She was pretty to a lot of other people. Nobody ever dared to say it, but a few have had crushes on her, but she was too much of an outcast to ever come close to anyone.

She quickly wiped the tears that had fallen, washing her face in hope her slightly red eyes, and the bad picture of herself, would go away.

It didn't, but she left the bathroom and banned every thought about it.

She walked into the kitchen, finding Niki preparing pancakes.

"Hello Birthday Girl!", Niki cheered as she took note of Lucy standing in the door frame, walking towards her. "It's my birthday?", she asked, slightly confused before looking on her phone and seeing the date. Fourth August. "It is.", she said pretty dryly, blaming it on tiredness. She walked fully into the kitchen, getting a big bear hug from Niki, making Lucy smile just a little as they pulled away.

"I made pancakes with applesauce or nutella. You can choose!", Niki beamed. "Oh my god, this is why you are my favourite!", Lucy cheered, with no hint of a joke.

"Aye don't forget who's house you're in.", Wilbur smiled from behind her. Taking the place Lucy had stood at just seconds ago. "Happy Birthday", his voice was deep, so he had probably woken up just a few minutes ago. "Birthday hug?", he offered. "Birthday hug.", Lucy confirmed, smiling even wider now.

She wasn't used to this much affection, but she would gladly take it.

"C'mon I'm hungry.", Niki said, carrying plates and the pancakes into the dining room.

It didn't take long before all of them were eaten and everybody was full.

"Wanna go to the beach?", Wilbur asked. Lucy punched her fists in the air. "Fuck, yeah! I'm in!"

"Then get a hoodie, it's windy.", he mentioned, going to his room to change into warmer stuff too.

"You actually don't think I know how to dress for the beach in early August?", Lucy joked. "just saying", he held up his hands defensively.

Lucy dissapeared into her room, picking out the lilac hoodie she had packed. It had 'Good Things Take Time' written all over the back. Maybe that's true, Lucy thought, as she pulled it over her head.

She stored her phone in her jogger's pocket, running to Niki who was already waiting with Wilbur at the front door.

"That took you so long.", he said dryly, Niki just rolling her eyes. "Don't listen, he was here like two seconds before you.", she smiled at Lucy. "Hey!", Wilbur said, playing angry.

They started walking down the street, it would only take five minutes to get to the beach. These five minutes weren't filled with much more conversation than: "How do you forget your own birthday?", Wilbur asked, rather teasingly. Lucy just shrugged.

Lucy could smell the sea and hear the waves crashing and the seagulls screeching by then.

"I love the sea. I don't know why, but I do.", Lucy whispered to Niki. "Maybe it is life telling you it somewhen will be an important and nostalgic place to you?", the smaller girl whispered back. Lucy was about to respond as she was interrupted by a small group of what looked like to be teenagers yelling loudly.

"HEY WILBUR AND HIS TWO GIRLFRIENDS"

Lucy just looked towards the group as she heard Wilbur's name.

"Of course Tommy had to say that.", Wilbur complained with a small smile.

As the group came closer she saw all the people that were there. She recognised Tommy, Tubbo, Ranboo and Fundy. "No way.", Lucy jaw dropped with a smile.

"What are you guys doing here?", she asked, still smiling. "We're here for your birthday, because you are like the coolest person!", Tubbo answered smiling, directly tackling her in a big hug.

As Tubbo let go of her, Tommy and Ranboo engulfed her in a little group hug, saying "happy birthday" at basically the same time. Lucy couldn't remember the last time she had smiled like this on her birthday.

After the two teenage boy had pulled away, Fundy came around with a smirk on his face. "Happy Birthday, Birthday Duck!", he said while giving her the same big bear hug, she had gotten from Niki.

"Thank you!", inwardly she was jumping up and down in happiness, but she didn't dare show it in case someone would think it was weird, "But please call me Lucy, it's weird if you yell the name of an animal to get my attention"

Everyone just smiled and nodded at her.

"How long are you guys here?", she asked. "Tommy and Ranboo are here for one week, Tubbo is basically always here, he lives like half an hour drive away and I'll be here for two weeks.", Fundy explained. "Wait you're here for that long?", Lucy asked excitedly, mostly towards Fundy. "Yeah I am!", he smiled back.

Tommy already walked back the way he came from with the other three, yelling: "C'mon love birds, we still have movies to watch and Lucy has presents to unwrap!" "You guys got me presents? Like plural?!", she looked at the other people who had already all turned around to walk away.

They all did the exact same motion: stopping in their tracks, slowly turning to look at the girl. "Yes of course. That's what friends do on your birthday. You're today's queen and we shall treat you like that.", Niki said. Fundy just elbowed her from the side.

"Did your parents neglect you or something?", he laughed. "Not that I am aware of, no", Lucy answered truthfully. "It was a joke", Fundy made clear. Lucy just looked at him in slight disbelief. "I didn't realise that, sorry", she muttered.

"You say sorry too much, but it's alright, now come with me because we have a lot of stuff you need to do!", Fundy grabbed Lucy lightly by her wrist and dragged her to the others who were all giggling and smirking.

He had just learned a lot about her and he couldn't deny he was stunned by her. He just always denied it, but he couldn't anymore, after seeing her.