☞︎ Chapter Nineteen ☜︎

TW: death, implemented suicide

Floris :]
plane landed 5 mins ago. I'm at baggage claim

Lucy :D
very cool, I outside the exit of terminal B!

She let her phone slide back into her pocket. It had taken one weird 3am thought. She was constantly questioning if it was a good idea. Her mother wouldn't be at the hospital for a while and while Lucy had arranged it for everyone of her father's relatives to have a day with him, she got told by the nurses that her mother wasn't allowed to enter, until it was forseeable that her husband would die the same day.

Lucy was picking at her cuticles, she'd really need to find something to fidget with soon, otherwise her cuticles would start to get infected.

She heard the door open, quickly glancing up, she saw it wasn't him just yet.

Lucy had to take a deep breath, collecting and calming herself. Since she had found out her father was ill, she had been a mess. It caused her constant thoughts about Caroline to disappear, but now she was just crying about someone else than her.

The door opened another time, she glanced up again, being met with a sadly smiling Floris, who, without saying a word, hugged her.

It was an embrace she felt safe in, even if it took her by surprise at first. She inhaled his scent. "I'm sorry, Luce", Floris whispered into her ear. "It's not your fault. Nobody knew." "Then please don't make yourself responsible though, too" "It's hard", she chuckled.

Floris chuckled too.

"What are we doing until tomorrow?", he asked. "We're gonna take the train back to the apartment, you settle, but we'll need to go somewhere after that."

"Lead the way, darling.", Lucy couldn't help, but turn away with a little blush. Floris chuckled, noticing what happened. "You're cute when you're awkward, because you can't take compliments.", she just poked his side aggresively. They both laughed, though Lucy was still awkward.

They took the train, walking the last five minutes. Lucy was abled to get an apartment pretty central, three minutes on foot from the hospital.

"This looks pretty empty for a creative person like you.", Floris noticed. "I don't live here. It's rented, I can't go home. I don't want to see mum."

His knitted his brows. He wanted to ask, but he knew he shouldn't touch an open wound with salty fingers. Lucy understood though, she turned around to the big window, showing the whole city merely in the orangy light of the dawning sun.

"She yelled at me when I went to the hospital directly after I got home. I try to not think about it, but your mother screaming at you on full volume in a hospital about you being a whore, because she sexualises her children, is not easy to forget.", she smiled, with just a little pain written into her eyes, "The irony of being asexual"

She turned back around. "No time to think about the past, it's done and all I can do is think back and learn or forget."

Floris looked at her in pity. He put down his suitcase, opening his arms again. Lucy smiled at him, accepting his hug. One single tear fell down her cheek. She didn't mind. She was with her head in the clouds.

"You said we needed to go somewhere today", he said suddenly, reminding her. "Right."

She silently dragged him out and without saying a word. They spend twenty minutes in a train, Floris only abled to guess where they could be going.

After hopping off the train, she gently took his wrist and dragged him around a few corners. They ended up in front of a bench, looking into the sun, starting to set behind a forest, which was mirrowed by the lake in front of it.

"Wow", was all coming from Floris and even that just as a quiet whisper. "I know. The sunsets are always pretty. Enzo and Caroline make sure of that and I hope dad will too.", Lucy looked at the sunset. The nearly full moon already rose up behind the trees, halfway across the sky.

Floris couldn't do more than stare at Lucy in awe. Just because he couldn't take his eyes off her, since they've met.

Lucy turned around, he didn't avert his gaze, she smiled, knowingly. "Wanna go down to the shore?"

"I mean, shore.", Fundy joked, Lucy snorted. "Good one."

They both stumbled down the rather steep stone and gravel dispatch. The beach was just as stoney, which didn't stop Lucy from taking off her shoes and socks and run into the cold water.

"Come here!", she yelled for Floris to join her. "No way! You're crazy!", He yelled back, smiling. "It's no fun if people don't call you crazy for it!", she yelled back laughing lightly. He chuckled and took off his shoes and socks too, running into the, actually, ice cold water, tackling Lucy but catching her, before even the end of her wavy brown hair could get wet. They looked at each other, realising the same thing. They fell. Lucy may have fallen in a literal sense, but both had fallen in metaphoric sense, long ago, only now ready to realise it.

Floris picked her up slowly, putting her back on her own feet. She looked down, a smirk rushing over her lips, but quickly disappearing again.

Lucy looked into Floris' eyes. The same hazel-brown ones, she had fallen for. Though even before she had fallen for just the way he was himself.

They were only a few inches away from eachother. Floris was looking down to Lucy, who was looking up at him. She broke the eerily silent eye-contact to look at the sun. Floris kept staring at her and eventually she turned back, taking a small step closer to him, locking eyes again. They both sunk into a trance of the other's eyes. A smile tugged Lucy's lips.

"Can I kiss you?", she asked Floris was being just himself and had to joke about it. "I don't know. Lucy, can yo-", he was cut off by Lucy pulling him in by his hoodie collar. His thin lips were soft, though they looked chapped.

Her action took him by surprise, but he quickly adapted to her, his hands cupping her face on both sides. She enjoyed it, Floris did too, though nobody would never admit to have been thinking about this moment a dozen times at least. They imagined it to happen when they first met, on the beach or when she picked him up from the airport, but here?

On the shore of this lake, with their feet in the ice cold water, spiking their heart rates even more than the presence of each other or them kissing. It was better than they could have imagined and they would have never stopped this moment if there wouldn't be the problem of needing oxygen and maybe also forgetting to breathe when you kiss the person you've been falling for the past 5 months.

Lucy only took one moment to breathe, "To answer your question, Floris, yes, I can and will", she smiled at him. His intuition peaked again. "Really? Prove it.", and without hesitation she went in for a second kiss, lasting for, what felt like, a magical eternity.