☞︎ Chapter Twentythree ☜︎

TW: yelling, arguing, death, implied suicide

Lucy took one last breath, before ringing the door bell. She looked down at the folded carton boxes in her hand. It took a while, before her mother showed up.

The expression said enough, Lucy knew what was going to happen. She threw Floris an 'I'm sorry for dragging you here'-look, but quickly looked back at the person she had been fond of. She wasn't anymore. Lucy knew the moment she'd leave this with everything she owned, this woman would be dead to her.

"I am here to get my stuff.", Lucy kept her sentences short. "Awh, my girl, I missed you so much! I am so sorry for what I said at the hospital!!", her mother whined, opening her arms for a hug. Lucy declined.

"I am not your girl. I am here to get my stuff.", Lucy repeated coldly, looking into her mother's eyes. Lucy exactly knew what was going to happen. She had her mother's mind figured out.

"Who is that lovely boy? I think I saw him at the funeral. Is he your boyfriend?", her mother asked with a big smile on her face. Lucy knew she was distracting and trying to find a point that she could use against her own daughter. "A work colleque of dad's, he'll just be driving me."

Lucy had told Floris, her mother would ask and they agreed to just using the same lie as before.

"I am getting my stuff now.", Lucy said, after the smile on her mother's face disappeared.

She walked in, immediatly being held back by her mother. "I love you.", she said. Lucy just looked at her neutrally. "An 'I love you' will not make up for the times you showed me and my brothers that you don't."

With that sentence, she left her mother at the door, walking up the stairs to her room.

She opened the door to it. It only took one look to the bed, directly opposite of the door to get dragged into memories.

"dad? this doesn't work and I don't know why?", the little 10-year-old whined. Her Dad looked over, trying his best to conceal his chuckles.

"You put it together wrong, Luce. It's supposed to be a bed, not a cube like you built it"

Lucy heard faint, soft voices. Now averting her gaze to the closet.

"Luce? Where are you?!", she heard Enzo's voice. She was smiling, sitting cramped up in her closet.

"come and find me", she said. Enzo immediatly caught on, but made it fun for his 13-year-old sister. "Hm, I don't know where you could be!", he walked around, "You're not under the bed, you're not in the pillow fortress", he let it sound like he was thinking intesively, "Maybe you are... in the closet?"

He opened the door, finding a laughing Lucy and laughing with her.

One of the voices had moved closer. She didn't mind, because she took note of the desk.

"Alright, Build Battle!", her dad said, "You each have to build one leg of this desk. If Marv wins, Luce will have to do his homework for a whole week and if Luce wins and Marv looses, Marv is not allowed to complain if Luce wants to cuddle."

Luce and Marv looked at each other, competitiveness taking over.

Back then she didn't know their parents decided to renovate the house to get the kids thoughts away from their oldest brother. It made her sad. Enzo left, Marv left.

Both in different ways, but both hurt 14- and 15-year-old Lucy the same. Marv getting kicked out was like finding Enzo, all over again.

The voice reappeared. "Luce. You there?"

Lucy immediatly snapped out of her dreamy state and got to what she wanted to do in the first place. Floris helped her, neither of them speaking a word.