63.

Nicky: Kitten, do you mind opening the door?

I frown and look at the front door. My heart beats faster with hope, hope he's finally home.

But maybe it's a trap. I look at Asher and Easton and show them the message.

They nod and open the door, very cautiously.

And there he is, lying on the ground and coughing and looking half dead.

I sob and kneel next to him. He groans, rolling over to my side. "Wait. Wait," he pants, eyes closed. "I need a minute."

I nod and move his head on my lap, softly brushing my hand over his cheek.

"You're safe," he chokes out. I nod. "Of course I am, sweetheart. You're the one that wasn't safe."

He closes his eyes again. I keep brushing his cheek, hoping to give him strength.

"Everyone is safe now, Nicky. We are. I am. You are. Everything is okay."

He hides his face in his hands, but I think he's trying to hide something else. I gently take his arms and move them away, with just a little attempt of him to stop me.

And oh, yes, he's crying.

And now I've seen it, he cannot stop. He sobs in my arms. It's the first time he intentionally shows me his vulnerable side and it breaks me how much tears he has to spill.

"I'm- I thought they'd taken you too," he chokes. I tighten my grip around him. "I'm here, I'm safe. We're safe, I'll take care of you."

He nods in my lap but doesn't move at all. I decide to help him up, but he completely leans on me. He's too heavy.

"Asher!" I call. Ash helps me move Dominic to the couch, where he immediately slumps. "I'm so tired," he whimpers. I nod, brushing the hair from his face.

"We'll go to bed in a minute. First, I need you to tell us where it hurts," I whisper. He sighs. "Everywhere."

I unbutton his shirt and widen my eyes at the amount of cuts. There are old cuts, but many new ones and some are still bleeding. "Have you been stabbed?"

He groans and sits up a little, undressing his pants. At first I think he's been stabbed in his leg, or his hip, but he just throws the pants away and nestles into me. "Sleep," he mumbles.

I tap his cheek, wanting him to stay awake. He groans, irritated, and glares at me. "Let me sleep."

It's like he turns into a toddler when he's sleep deprived. "No," I tell him. He frowns. "First, Asher is gonna clean your cuts. Then you get to sleep." He frowns even more and tucks his head in my neck, but he holds his eyes open. 

I look over his head and over my shoulder to see Easton a bit lost, watching the two of us. I extend my hand to him, smiling and wiggling my fingers. "Come here."