Chapter 1

Arabella gazed out of the floor to ceiling window. The sun was shining bright, washing Arabella in its warm glow. She observed her court with quiet delight, the Dawn Court had come far from what it was when she was a child. She was only young when her father had made any progress with repairing from Amarantha, from the King of Hybern. To see their court in all its glory made her smile.

Arabella smoothed the fabric of her cream and gold dress, made perfectly to accommodate her Peregryn wings. It was the biannual High Lords and Lady's meeting today. Thesan, Arabella's father, often invited Arabella to join. It was educational for her to see how the court worked, how trading was discussed. They had created these meetings not long after everything had settled down in Prythian. They were designed to help maintain peace and prosperity on the continent, and to help encourage trade and friendly relations between courts. Although, Thesan and Arabella had an ulterior motive for today's meeting.

Arabella made her way down the lavish, gold trimmed stairs. She was only a little nervous. She had attended the last twenty years of meetings, but the whole concept still felt foreign to her. Arabella flexed the muscles in her wings, their pale white complimenting her outfit perfectly.

As Arabella entered the chamber in which they held these meetings, she was greeted by her fathers.

"Nervous?" Thesan asked.

"Yes", Arabella replied honestly.

Torin, Arabella's other father, chuckled.

"Of course she's nervous", he said, "who wouldn't be".

Torin is the Captain of the Peregryn army. Thesan had hired him not only for his long list of qualifications but also because of his looks. Torin had shoulder-length brown hair and bronze skin just like Thesan.

"Thanks for the encouragement, dad", Arabella rolled her eyes.

"Don't worry", Thesan said, "they have no reason to decline you".

That was also a part of her worries. If the Night Court agreed to train her, she'd have to stay there, and she'd have to stay with Nyx.
It was no secret amongst the courts that at meetings and gatherings, Arabella and Nyx tended to argue, a lot. He was just so insufferable, he always poked and prodded where he needed to mind his own business, and he always asked the most ridiculous questions. He gave Arabella a headache.

It wasn't long until the courts started winnowing in. First the High Lord of the Autumn Court, Eris, and his wife joined them. They made light conversation and passed around refreshments. Then the High Lord of the Day Court appeared, making excuses for his wife, the former Lady of the Autumn Court, who had to stay home with their newborn son. Very soon almost all the courts had appeared, everyone talking politely but not yet delving into the topics of trade and politics.

Then Arabella felt it. She could feel Nyx's presence before him and his family winnowed in. He had such a stupid smirk on his face when he spotted Arabella, as if he knew all the annoying things he planned to say. Thesan walked over and exchanged pleasantries with the High Lord and Lady of Night. To Arabella's dismay, Nyx came to her.

"Bella", Nyx said smirking.

"It's Arabella", she corrected straightening her shoulders.

Nyx seemed to smirk more, "Arabella", he seemed to purr, "such a fancy name".

She resisted the urge to scoff, "we've had this conversation a thousand times, Nyx".

He smiled, "say my name again, it sounds good when it comes from your lips".

Arabella wanted to slap him. Nyx and his stupid arrogance, his stupid flirting. She was sick of it.

"Arabella", Thesan called from Rhysand's side, "you wanted to speak to Rhysand".

Nyx raised a brow but Arabella ignored him as she approached Rhysand. The High Lord of the Night court oozed darkness, but not the same darkness that his shadowsinger behind him did, this darkness had substance.

"It's a pleasure High Lord and Lady", Arabella said giving a swift curtsy.

Nyx had moved behind his father and mocked Arabella's curtsy, the shadowsinger seemed to elbow him in his side.

Rhysand smiled, "the pleasure is all mine. Now what is it you ask of me?"

Arabella clasped her hands behind her back, slipping into the mask of the future High Lady of the Dawn Court.

"I've discovered that I'm Daemati and nobody in the Dawn Court possess this power", Arabella began, Rhysand seemed surprised at her confession, "I believe you would be best to train me".

Feyre, the Lady of Night, smiled brightly, "we'd love to train you".

"Really?" Arabella couldn't help the surprise in her voice, she had expected rejection.

Feyre nodded, but it was Rhysand who spoke, "are you willing to stay at the Night Court for a few months?"

Arabella's eyes flicked to Nyx, who seemed to be hanging off her every word.

"I'd love to", Arabella replied smoothly.

"Then it's settled", Rhysand said coolly, "give us a few days to prepare for your arrival, can you winnow?"

Arabella shook her head in embarrassment.

"Not to worry", said Rhysand, "we can teach you that too".

After a short discussion about sleeping arrangements and how long she'd be staying, it was decided that Arabella would fly to the edge of the Day Court in a few days and Rhys would winnow her from there. Rhysand even offered that his Commander trained Arabella in fighting as well. Arabella already knew how to fight but training from the Commander of the Night Court's armies wasn't something you passed up.

Not long after, the meeting began. They all sat at the circular table, each High Lord or Lady presented a problem or an idea to the group and collectively they discussed it. Arabella listened and observed the different courts and how they interacted, such things would be useful for her future as High Lady. However, Arabella couldn't focus, Nyx was staring at her from across the table, it irked her, couldn't he just look away and not be annoying?

Arabella glared at Nyx, hoping he'd catch the hint. He did nothing but smirk and blow her a kiss. Arabella wanted to throttle him. If he wanted to be a successful High Lord then he should be listening and observing too, not staring dumb-eyed at Arabella.

And then he entered her mind, she hated it when he did that, it felt like a violation.

He tutted in her mind, "so you're daemati? How come you've never entered my mind?".

His silky smooth talons scraped at the edges of her mind.

"Why do you think I'm asking your father for help?" She hissed back.

"Indeed. When did you find out you were daemati?" There was something sharp in his tone.

"That's none of your concern", she said, attempting to push him out of her mind.

Nyx wouldn't budge, "you know I could just sort through these memories and find out".

"Leave, Nyx. Let me have some peace before you bother me for six months".

And Nyx did leave her mind, seeming to focus more on the meeting than he was before.