Chapter 29

Death.

Nyx was imagining the worst possible death for that man, trying to envision what way would give him the most satisfaction. A slow death, that is what this man deserved. Nyx would gladly spend months, years, heck even centuries torturing him.

"At least pretend you don't want to kill him", Cassian muttered elbowing Nyx in the side.

"Why lie?" Nyx gritted out, it was taking everything in him not to winnow at her side and stab him through the heart.

"To keep the peace, Nyx", his dad said calmly, "we have to pretend so we don't blow Arabella's cover, at least think of her".

Nyx huffed, "fine".

As the couple finally approached, Nyx flipped into the mask of an unbothered heir, he straightened out his jacket and looked ahead with the least amount of emotion he could convey.

At least try and smile, Nyx.

At the sound of her voice in his head, he almost went weak at the knees. For cauldron's sake did he miss the sound of her voice, especially when she said his name.

I can't help but be grumpy when he touches you like that.

I know, she sighed, but please try and remain calm, he is trying to get into your head, he knows about my time in the Night Court, he has a theory that I've got a lover there.

I'll try. At least tell me if you plan on killing the piece of shit.

Of course I do. I have a mate to get home to.

Nyx's heart swelled. Did she just imply she'd accept him? He didn't have long to think on it because suddenly his father's conversation with Zachery had perked his interest.

"You ought to learn proper etiquette if you think you're going to become High Lord", he said simply, "leaving guests waiting will leave a bad impression".

"My mistake", Zachery replied calmly, "I didn't see you arrive".

"Don't lie", Rhysand said picking a piece of lint off his shoulder, "I make sure my power is felt every time I walk into a room".

Zachery looked pale and Nyx delighted in it.

"Besides", his father continued, a wicked grin growing on his lips, "we can see inside your head".

If Nyx thought Zachery was pale before he was wrong, because he looked like he was about to throw up.

"Rhysand, Feyre, it's lovely to see you again", Arabella said curtsying politely but Nyx could see the hint of a smile on her face.

"The pleasure is all ours", Feyre said softly, her pregnancy glow brighter than ever in the Dawn Court lighting.

Zachery, feeling well enough to join back in on the conversation said, "it seems everyone is getting pregnant nowadays".

Rhysand's eyes seemed to zero-in on the poor guy, a warning in his eyes if he was planning on making any comment about his wife.

Zachery seemed to not notice or only ignored it, "perhaps it is our turn, what do you think?"

Arabella laughed far too politely, "don't be absurd, Zachery, we aren't even married yet".

Nyx was taking controlled, slow breaths. Arabella had promised him this man would die, she had said she would come home to him, everything was okay-

"That hasn't stopped people before", he said as he leaned down and kissed Arabella's neck.

His brain screamed, his heart was hammering in his chest and he was about to tear Zachery's head off of his body. He could practically feel the relief it would bring him to watch the life fade from that prick's eyes.