Chapter 8

Arabella had awoken in the library, still snuggled on the couch but Nyx was nowhere to be seen. The book he had been reading was left carelessly open on the table, however, his jacket had been gently placed over Arabella's shoulders.
It smelt like him. Sea breeze and vanilla. She knew that scent, slowly she sat up, allowing the jacket to slide off her shoulders.

She sighed before rolling her shoulders. Their daemati training would've ended half an hour ago. Arabella was late to dinner. Quickly, she put away the book Nyx had gotten out and carefully folded his jacket before rushing out of the library.

Making her wings appear, she took off into the sky and headed towards the estate. She still cradled the jacket in her hands as she flew. It was kind of him to leave it for her, she'd have to return it as soon as possible, only so he didn't get any ideas. Because she didn't want to keep it, absolutely not. At least, that's what she told herself.

She landed as gracefully as possible before rushing into the house, jacket now tucked under her arm. When she opened the door and rushed into the foyer, she didn't expect to see Feyre standing there, as if she'd been waiting.

"Sorry I'm late", Arabella blurted out.

Feyre waved a dismissive hand, "not to worry, just join us when you're ready".

Arabella nodded her thanks before shuffling upstairs. She'd leave Nyx's jacket on his bed then head down for dinner. She wasn't overly hungry, and if anything she wanted to get into a bath the most, but she was their guest and would attend anything they did for her.

Arabella shuffled down the hallway, listening out to see if Nyx was in his room. She didn't feel like talking to him, she was...embarrassed. She had been far too vulnerable with him this afternoon, perhaps she too preferred their back-and-forth, it was easier and didn't involve feelings. But Arabella didn't have any feelings for Nyx, that would be ridiculous and nothing but a foolish dream. Because if Arabella did like Nyx, it would never work, they were heirs of different courts and it would be impossible to unite their courts.

Slowly and carefully, Arabella pushed open Nyx's door, jacket in hand. She stepped into his room closing the door behind her. His room was beautiful. Unlike hers which was full of dark blues and golds, Nyx's room seemed to mainly contain silvers and blacks, with a hint of purple. It was grand, and fit for the heir of the Night Court. Arabella resisted the urge to look around, she knew she'd kill Nyx if he did that to her room. Arabella shuffled over to the bed, which was well-kept and had satin sheets, before placing down his jacket carefully.

"Belle?"

Arabella jumped out of her skin, turning to see Nyx, hair wet, towel around his waist. He had just gotten out of the bath, she realised. And Arabella tried her absolute hardest not to stare at his beautifully defined body.

"I was just dropping off your jacket", Arabella said blushing, and forcing herself to maintain eye contact less her eyes travel elsewhere.

"Oh. Thanks", he said walking over towards his jacket.

As much as Arabella wanted to step back and away from him, her feet seemed rooted to the ground. Which meant as Nyx reached for his jacket, his shoulder brushed hers. A shiver went down her spine.

"I should go have dinner", Arabella said suddenly, forcing herself to take a step back.

Nyx observed her, head tilting to the side. In his defence, she was acting strangely, he was just so close and shirtless that Arabella seemed to lose function of her brain.

"Belle?" He said.

Arabella swallowed as Nyx stepped forward, reaching out a hand to brush away a strand of hair that had fallen. He seemed to think better of it and stepped back.

"Yes?" Arabella replied, her eyes wandering down his body, curse him for looking so good.

"Eyes up here, Belle", Nyx said.

And when Arabella did look up, Nyx was smirking.

"Pig", Arabella hissed.

"I'm the pig?" Nyx said feigning hurt, "who was the one checking me out?"

"I wasn't checking you out", Arabella said, cheeks heating at the obvious lie.

"You totally were. I'm flattered", Nyx said turning and shoving his jacket in the draw of his dresser.

"You're obviously delusional", Arabella said folding her arms.

Nyx laughed, "whatever helps you sleep at night, Belle".

Arabella glared at him and Nyx mocked her glare back.

"You're insufferable", she said.

"You know you love me, gorgeous", Nyx said playfully bopping her on the nose.

Arabella gaped, "did you just bop me on the nose?!"

"I can't help it. You're adorable when you're angry".

Arabella growled, "I'll have you know that I bet you in the ring yesterday!"

Nyx shrugged, "but that was only a fist fight, I'm sure my power outranks yours".

Arabella resisted the urge to kick him in the balls.

"And to think I was going to thank you for this afternoon", she said grumpily.

Nyx raised a brow, "I can think of a few ways for you to thank me".

"Rot in hell!"

"Only if you're with me", he said smiling.

Arabella huffed before turning around and heading towards the door.

"I hope you drown in the Sidra", she said.

She heard Nyx laugh from behind her, but she didn't wait for his reply before leaving his room.

Arabella had met Nyx when they were fifty. It was at one of the biannual meetings that they were introduced. Both of their parents had brought them along to start roping them into court business. At first, Arabella had found herself admiring him, he was beautiful and carried himself with such envious power and grace. She was hoping to find a friend in him. But then, he opened his mouth, and Arabella found herself wanting to take everything she thought about him back. Since that moment, Arabella and Nyx were known to argue during whatever meeting of ball they attended, and yet, each time Arabella said something she was sure would send Nyx away, he only smirked and came right back. She couldn't get rid of him, so she began to try and deal with him. He is, of course, still insufferable, but sometimes Arabella finds her original thoughts about him coming back.

Because he was beautiful, powerful and incredibly handsome. But she'd be damned if she let him know it.