Chapter 11

Arabella was getting ready to go out with the Inner Circle. They were going to Rita's with the plan of drinking and dancing. Arabella definitely needed a drink. Why had she kissed Nyx? It was a foolish, impulsive decision. She had wanted to thank him for not only helping her when she was bleeding out, but for being so kind in the library and showing her around Velaris. She didn't need to kiss him to show him that gratitude. And yet she had, and even worse, she didn't regret it.

A small part of her felt giddy at the kiss, and was excited to see his reaction, what he'd do if she dangled the possibility in front of him. Because despite their constant teasing and arguing, deep down Arabella knew Nyx had a crush on her, and even deeper down, she knew she had a small crush on him.

That fact had become even more apparent as she dressed. She picked a dress of typical Night Court fashion, something Mor had given her this morning. It was sleek, and black, and had two slits to show each tanned leg. So yes, Arabella needed a drink, because all she could think about was how Nyx would react when he saw her. She was greedy for his attention, she had never been an attention seeker, and yet, when he drooled her heart skipped a beat.

Smoothing out the dress and checking herself in the mirror, Arabella wanted to slap herself. She had to remind herself that Nyx and her could never be a thing, even if she really wanted it to. They lived and will always live in different courts. They had two different lives that weren't meant to intertwine.

She took a deep breath and pushed open her bedroom door, she had to show her face eventually. Apparently someone had the same idea.

"Arabella?" He gulped.

She pushed back her shoulders, "yes Nyx?"

"You look beautiful", he said honestly, "the Night Court suits you".

Arabella blushed, her cold demeanour defrosting, "thank you, you look good too".

And he did. He was wearing sleek black pants and a silk shirt that revealed the hard muscles of his chest. The urge to touch him, to reach out, was like an instinct.

"Rex and Leon are coming", Nyx seemed to blurt.

Arabella snapped out of her daze, "what? Now?"

He nodded, "I invited them to come with us to Rita's, they said they'd meet us there".

Arabella smiled, "I'm excited to meet them".

She was also nervous. What if they hated her? Although she supposed that shouldn't matter, she wouldn't be seeing much of them anyway.

"Let's go", Nyx said, "I think my parents are waiting downstairs".

Arabella nodded and followed Nyx down the staircase to where everyone was waiting. Mor gushed over Arabella's dress again, Feyre complimented her too. Nyx seemed to be speaking mind-to-mind with Rhys, but almost as soon as the two arrived, people began winnowing to the party. It was Feyre that grasped Arabella's hand and winnowed.

They appeared in front of Rita's, just in time to catch Mor dragging Cassian in, Nesta at his side. Feyre and Arabella had their way in, both of them marvelling at the beautiful lights and loud music.

"It never gets old", Feyre said to her.

Arabella hoped so. Rita's was amazing, she definitely understood why the whole family loved it so much. As soon as they were in, Feyre was whisked away by Mor to dance. Cassian and Nesta were perched at the bar, Cassian drinking a beer and Nesta sipping on water. They were talking to two Illyrians, one that seemed to resemble Cassian, all broad shoulders and long hair, the other had green skin and seemed to survey the room with cat-like instincts. Nyx's friends, Arabella realised. And as if she called him, he appeared at her side, looping an arm through hers.

"Staring isn't very polite", he said as he led them towards his friends.

Arabella faltered in her steps, "what if I say something wrong?"

Nyx raised a brow, "trust me, you'll be fine. Apply some of that Bella charm and I'm sure you'll win them over".

She glared at him, "my charm?"

He grinned, "it's one of your winning characteristics".

She scoffed but allowed Nyx to drag her over to his friends. It was the green-skinned one, Leon, that noticed her first, then he nudged his companion. Before she knew it they had jumped off their chairs and met them halfway. Arabella untangled her arm from Nyx's.

"Leon, Rex, this is Arabella", Nyx said gesturing to each of them, "be nice".

Arabella smiled politely, "it's nice to meet you both, Nyx tells me we have the similar interest of beating him up".

Rex, the boisterous one, barked a laugh, "so I hear. I'm sure we will get along swimmingly, beautiful".

Nyx tensed at her side but she ignored him.

"I can't believe Nyx is friends with the Dawn Court heir, how did he convince you to meet us?" Leon asked smiling softly.

Arabella chuckled, "it was actually my idea to meet you all, but I didn't expect it to be so soon".

"Surprise", Nyx said sarcastically.

"Well it's not a party unless you drink. Would you like me to fetch you a cocktail, beautiful?" Rex asked brandishing a hand towards the bar.

"Yes, that'd be wonderful", she replied.

Rex had disappeared into the crowd towards the bar, Nyx still looked uncomfortable but Arabella continued to ignore him as Leon told her about his holiday in the Dawn Court. Both of his friends seemed lovely, in fact, Arabella really enjoyed talking to both of them. Soon Rex appeared back with a tray of drinks, they all grabbed one and Arabella sculled hers. She was glad faerie drinks were stronger than normal ones.

"Let's dance!" She said as conversation went quiet.

Leon seemed to cringe away from the idea, "I am not a dancer".

"Oh come on! It'll be fun!" Arabella said excitedly.

Because maybe if she danced and felt nothing but the beat of the music and the faerie wine, then maybe Nyx would finally be off her mind. Because she still couldn't stop thinking about him in that silk shirt.

"Yeah come on Leo!" Rex whined.

Leon sighed but pointed an accusing finger at Nyx, "if I'm dancing then so are you".

Nyx shrugged but Arabella could still see some tension in his shoulders. Nevertheless, all four of them swam through the crowd and found the dance floor. Dancing with all of them was fun, Leon did look hilariously awkward, but Rex kept spinning her around and making her laugh. Arabella didn't even realise Nyx had disappeared.