Chapter 40

"I'm sorry, again. I hope you understand where I was coming from", Rhysand spoke softly.

Arabella had returned home, Rhysand winnowing her onto the steps of her castle. The High Lord had not stopped apologising the whole way.

"You don't have to apologise. You were protecting your family the only way you knew how. You were backed into a corner, I don't blame you", Arabella said for what felt like the one hundredth time.

Rhysand thinned his lips, "Nyx said he'd like to apologise to you as well".

Arabella looked down at her feet. She hadn't spoken to Nyx since their argument, she only requested to see Rhys so he could winnow her here.

"I will be busy for a while, but when I get the time I think a conversation between him and I is long overdue", Arabella replied vaguely.

Rhysand nodded once before saying goodbye and winnowing back to his estate. Arabella turned her gaze to her castle. It looked pretty from the outside, the clouds caressing the highest windows. But Arabella was sure there was nothing but chaos inside.

Taking a deep breath, Arabella entered the castle. All the guards and servants were whispering to each other as Arabella walked the halls. A part of her felt bad that she'd have to fire them all, she couldn't be sure who had been working for Zachery and she didn't want to take any chances. Arabella approached the closest servant.

"Could you fetch Torin and Thesan, tell them to meet me in my office".

The servant bowed politely before scurrying off. Arabella had a few choice words she wanted to say to her parents. They had disappeared during the time Zachery had let her out, and they certainly didn't visit her in her dungeon. Arabella glided down the halls, making a b-line towards her office. Because it was hers now, legally the line of succession will fall to her. Arabella was now High Lady. It was a title she always wanted but this wasn't how she wanted to receive it.

The floor to ceiling windows of the office allowed for a beautiful view of the clouds and the sky that was beginning to grow darker and darker. Arabella paused to look at the stars, she felt guilty that she had left without trying to remedy her relationship with Nyx. But she would stick by her plan, her court would come first, she couldn't afford for it to be any other way.

There was a knock at the office door before Thesan and Torin entered. Both of them had dark circles around their eyes and Arabella had never seen Torin's wings so droopy. Yet, there was no guilt in her heart for them.

"Take a seat", she said gesturing to the two chairs across from the desk.

She could tell her parents wanted to speak, most likely to apologise and grovel. But both of them sat down without saying a word.

"Due to unexpected circumstances, Zachery is no longer High Lord and instead I am High Lady", she began, taking the head seat across from them, "since I am High Lady, my first rule of order will be your exile".

"What?" Thesan gasped, "you can't do that, you're not ready to be High Lady, I haven't had a chance to train you".

Arabella ignored him and continued, "you will be exiled from my court, you can choose where you'd like to move, though I wouldn't recommend the Night Court".

Torin shook his head, "Bella this isn't necessary, I understand my exile but Thesan has done nothing wrong".

"Thesan may not have done anything outright wrong, but he didn't do anything right. You are both my parents and yet, you both chose each other over me. Congratulations, your love has lost you both your court and your daughter", she hissed.

"Ara-"

"I am your High Lady, you will not defy me. I have requested your immediate leave, do as I say".

"You don't understand", Torin said, "it was hard for us too, we had to watch you suffer and Zachery wouldn't allow us contact".

She shook her head, "all those years ago when you told me you had exiled Zachery and beaten him to a pulp, had you?"

"Of course I did!" Torin reasoned, "I was furious at him, but the bargain had already been made, and he reminded me that he'd be back to collect his end of the deal".

"Good parents do not sell their children off, even if they think it's what they'd want. You took away my freedom, and my title, fuck you", she hissed.

Thesan reached out and grasped Torin's hand, the action alone made her bristle. Where was her comfort? Had they always been like this and she was just too naive to realise?

"Get out of my castle, and get out of my court", Arabella said fiercely.

Torin and Thesan stood reluctantly, and still holding hands, the two of them left her office.

Arabella slouched in her chair. She had just exiled her parents. It was something she had never thought would happen in all her life. Her parents had created her with the purpose to be the heir. And now their own creation had cast them out.

She closed her eyes, allowing her emotions to wash over her, then suddenly she felt dark talons in her mind asking to enter.

Nyx? She questioned and she hated how weak she sounded.

Arabella, I'm sorry about what I said I didn't mean any of it. I was completely out of line.

I really wanted to have this conversation in person, but I'm sorry too. I also said things I didn't mean.

There was tense pause of silence.

I have no intention of rejecting you, Nyx. A mating bond is a rare and powerful thing, I'm not going to cast you aside because of one argument.

She felt him relax down the bond, a clear sign that she had truely scared him in her anger.

You're welcome to come back to the Night Court, if you'd like...

I can't. But it's about to get pretty lonely here in the castle, if you'd care to join me.

You want me there?

Of course, but give me one hour to prepare.

Prepare?

Arabella chuckled at his confusion.

I have to prepare your food.

A/N: yeah I did just do that. What do you think she should cook for him? Soup? A three course meal?

Hold onto your hats, it's about to get smutty... and a little emotional :)