Chapter 39

Arabella barely had a second to comprehend Nyx grabbing her arm and Zachery's before they winnowed. They appeared in a dark corridor, one Arabella had never seen before. Small yellow lamps lit the way down the hallway as Nyx held Zachery tight. Zachery protested as Nyx dragged him down the hallway, claiming this was an act of war. Arabella stood rooted to where they had landed, the dark hallway making the hair on her arms stand up. A cold breeze tickled the backs of her legs so she turned around. Azriel had appeared masked in shadows, he gave a tight-lipped smile to Arabella before he followed after Nyx.

She could barely comprehend what had occurred, one second she felt the weight of defeat on her shoulders and then Zachery was pinned against a wall. And now they were here...wherever here is.

"Are you coming?" Nyx called as they waited outside a heavy steel door.

"I-", Arabella swallowed her panic, "where are we?"

Azriel lit an extra lantern, before walking back and handing it to her, "we are in the Court of Nightmares, this is where we torture people".

She nodded her head slowly, she came to the realisation of why they were there. To torture him. Nyx was still waiting on her to walk forward, to come to him.

"Put him in there and leave him for a week", she said sternly, "let him suffer in the darkness like I did".

Nyx nodded once before shoving Zachery harshly through the steel door. Arabella could still feel her powers healing her body, she could feel the mental drain it was taking. She had never been hurt like this before she wasn't sure how long it would take until she was back to herself. She didn't like how dark the corridor was, it reminded her too much of the darkness in her cell.

Azriel hadn't left her side, still waiting for Nyx to return.

"You get used to it", Azriel said softly so only she could hear.

She raised a brow.

"The darkness. You'll get used to it", he said kindly before Nyx reappeared on the other side of the door.

Nyx immediately returned to her side, grasping his hand in hers. He turned to Azriel.

"How angry is dad?" He asked.

Azriel smiled, "not as angry as you're expecting him to be".

Nyx sighed in relief, "come on, Belle, let's get you home".

They winnowed again and Arabella realised home meant his house not hers. They appeared in front of the estate's front door, Nyx moved to go inside but Arabella pulled him back. Azriel hadn't appeared with them, she suspected he was going else where.

"Nyx I can't stay", Arabella sighed, hating that she couldn't.

"Why?" Confusion flashed over his face and she realised that he was hoping this would be their happy ending.

"My court is in ruins. I have to go back and repair the damage he made", she made circles on the back of his hand with her thumb.

"I'll come with you", he said, a new look of determination in his eyes.

She shook her head, "you'll be a distraction".

"Arabella, please. I can't keep living like this", he sounded desperate, his voice cracking.

"Like what?"

"This stupid back-and-forth where you disappear and I keep following you like an idiot!"

"Nyx, I-"

"Do you love me or not? Do you want to be my mate or not? Because I'm so sick and tired of putting in all this effort when you just leave me anyway!" He huffed, letting go of her hand and stepping back.