Chapter 46

The dark hallway of the Court of Nightmares basement was eerie. Arabella felt like the shadows licked at her heels and poked at her sides, it was terrifying. The only thing that held her together was Nyx's tight grip on her hand. She was sure that any loud noise or sudden movement would cause her to run right back the way they came.

"Almost there", Nyx whispered because talking at a normal volume felt too loud.

Arabella tried to gather her thoughts and silence her mind. She had to appear strong, if only to make him cower. Zachery's week of isolation had ended far sooner than she wished. A twisted part of her wanted to see him rot and wither until he was only a shell of who he once was. Nyx's hand tightened around hers as they met Azriel outside the cell of her abuser.

"Ready?" Azriel asked, his eyes locked on her.

No, she was not. He deserved to suffer, she knew that, and yet she fought with herself every day at the thought of his death. One part of her thought death would be far too easy, the other part was worried that torturing him would only make her just as bad.

"I will talk to him first", Azriel stated, "you'll both be watching from my shadows, I want my interrogation of him to be uninterrupted, once I have what I need, then you can take over".

The last part was directed towards Nyx who'd had a fierce scowl the whole walk. When Nyx agreed, Azriel nodded his head and Arabella felt a cold shiver run down her spine. That was when she knew she was cloaked. Azriel opened the door and didn't cast them a glance as he set his sights on Zachery. Arabella was ashamed to admit it, but she felt pity for the man in front of her. He was huddled into the furthest corner, his knees pulled to his chest, he looked broken. Did she look like that after her time in the dungeons?

Azriel didn't speak as he grabbed Zachery by the collar and dragged him into the middle of the room. Arabella stood with her back against the exit, just in case she needed to step out and breathe. Zachery tried to crawl back to his corner, but Azriel prevented his movements, using some of his shadows to hold him down.

"You're awfully quiet today", Azriel began, "no more threats to spew?"

Zachery didn't meet his gaze, but he stunk of defeat. It was in that moment that Arabella knew she'd won. He couldn't harm her like this. She felt dread fill in her stomach as she watched Azriel pull the dagger from his hip.

"I'm going to ask you some questions and you're going to answer them, okay?" The threat was clear in Azriel's tone. He had offered an ultimatum, confess or death.

Zachery could barely muster a nod.

"All those threats you threw around, was there any truth to them?"

"No".

His voice was raspy from a lack of water and a week of no human interaction. Arabella watched Azriel's reaction to those words. He was surprised. Zachery always lied, but her experience of him was that his threats always rang true.

"What about what you said about my High Lord and Lady? Is the heir in danger?" Azriel tightened the restraints on Zachery's arms.

"Which one?" He asked, finally looking up at Azriel.

Azriel didn't answer so Zachery rephrased the question.

"Which heir?"

Azriel's gaze narrowed, and Nyx subtly shifted to stand closer to Arabella.

"Both", Azriel hissed.

"The baby is fine", Zachery stated a grin growing on his features, "but I suspect Nyx is going to receive some bad news in the future".

Azriel stabbed his dagger right through Zachery's hand, causing him to howl in pain.

"If I wanted a cryptic prediction, I'd find a fortune teller", Azriel hissed, "what is the news he will receive?"

When the pain had left his hand, Zachery laughed, his head falling back and a wicked smile overtaking his features. Arabella held onto Nyx's arm tightly.

"They're here, aren't they?" Zachery's eyes wondered each corner of the room, "you're being nice to me today, shadowsinger".

"Answer the fucking question", Azriel growled.

"Arabella, sweetie", Zachery cooed, "I'm sure you remember the lovely Maria".

Her heart dropped. She had ordered that the stupid experiment had to end, she had made sure. It wasn't possible, it couldn't be.

"Mmm", Zachery hummed, sensing her fear, "she wasn't really the surrogate, no, the real surrogate had been successfully impregnated days before".

Arabella felt the blood leave her face. She felt Nyx's hand go slack in hers. In a flash, she was across the room, the cool feeling of Azriel's shadows falling behind. She stood over him, breathing heavy. He smiled.

"You didn't", she hissed.

"Oh, but I did".

Fuck him and his stupid games. She didn't want to entertain this a second longer, she didn't want to entertain him. Like she'd practiced, she entered Zachery's mind and rendered him immobile. Furiously, she sifted through his mind, watched his memories of torture, of scheming. She paused when she found the right memory, a girl barely seventeen. She was clearly poor and starving, a consequence of Zachery's own "reforms". She looked up at him with so much hope. The prospect of a full belly and a sack load of cash far outweighed any doubts she would've had. Why her? Was it merely convenience? Did she mean something? Was it twisted or poetic? Arabella exited his mind.

"Why?" She rasped.

"A little memento if you will".

"She is only a child" Arabella hissed before she pulled the dagger from Zachery's hand and aimed it at his throat.

"A powerful one", Zachery smirked, "one of the forgotten offspring from an Autumn Court son. She doesn't even know it, but she'll help produce a powerful heir".

"Wait", Arabella said catching on, "this child that is to be born, it isn't yours?"

"Honey, what powers do I hold? None", he continued, "It is your child, but it is also hers".

"What?!" Nyx was out of the shadows now too, judging by his expression he wasn't keeping up.

"I used the technology that Arabella's parents used to create her and instead made the most powerful child I could", Zachery smiled sadly, "I am not daft enough to think I will make it out of here alive, but I just had to see your reaction".

A child baring a baby from two courts. This would certainly be an interesting topic at the next meeting. Arabella sighed.

"And to think I felt sympathy for you", Arabella stated as she plunged the dagger into his throat.

All three of them watched as he choked and gagged on his own blood. Not an ounce of regret was in her heart for this man, perhaps only regret that she hadn't stabbed him sooner.