Chapter 25

Arabella had barely had time to breathe since she got home. She had been doing Torin's usual jobs and some of Thesan's so he had time to be with his husband. She'd been ignoring Nyx's daily tugs on the bond, she hadn't had time to tell her fathers about it, and she really wanted to talk it out with them before making a decision. Her choice would decide the fate of their court, it wasn't to be made lightly.

Arabella had managed to squeeze in some time off to see Torin, which is where she is heading now. The corridors of the hospital wing were unusually quiet for this time of day, though, she supposed Torin was the only patient. Her formal dress billowed out behind her, it's pale satin folds contrasted her dark skin, she had just finished a meeting with the Captain of the Dawn Court's Naval army, it was dreadful. Never in her life had she met such an ignorant man, he completely disregarded all of her suggestions when it came to improving productivity. Ignorant men will be the death of her.

"Arabella, sweetie, I wasn't expecting you so soon", Torin smiled from his bed.

"My meeting with Captain Barnard finished early".

Not a total lie, it was just that Arabella had stood and announced rather improperly that she was sick of talking to a brick wall.

"Ah", Torin frowned, "he can be a handful".

"No need to be polite, father, he is a prick".

Torin laughed heartily at her joke. He was still bandaged up and definitely a little sore, but overall he was looking better.

"Arabella", Torin started, his face turning grave, "there is something I have to-"

Suddenly, before he could finish they were interrupted by one of the castle servants. He wore a white suit with gold trim and held himself with impeccable eloquence.

"Sorry to interrupt but there is somebody here for you My Lady".

The servant stepped out of the way, revealing a familiar face.

"Rhysand", Arabella said suddenly standing straighter.

Rhys leant against the doorframe, hands in pockets, a soft smile on his face.

"Arabella, it's lovely to see you".

Arabella smiled politely, avoiding those too familiar violet eyes of his. She'd been ignoring Nyx for a reason, Rhys only served as a reminder. She didn't like the fact that she had to ignore Nyx, she was ashamed that she couldn't give an answer, she wanted to, but it just wasn't that simple.

"Thesan told me you wouldn't be returning", Torin interrupted with an accusing tone.

"Arabella left some stuff back at the estate, I thought I'd drop it off", Rhysand's lips thinned.

"Then leave it on the floor and go", Torin grumbled.

"I'm afraid I can't", Rhys smiled, "you see, she has a gift for you and I don't want to ruin the surprise".

Arabella furrowed her brows, there was no gift.

"Fine", Torin said, "then drop it outside".

Follow me
Rhysand spoke into Arabella's mind, the words slipping in like butter. She'd have to work harder on her shields if she wanted to keep a High Lord out. Arabella was confused, but didn't voice her concerns out loud. Instead, she listened, she followed Rhys outside the door, closing it behind her. Besides the fact that Rhysand often got in the way of her and Nyx's relationship, she trusted him.

"Rhys, what gift-"

Rhysand grabbed Arabella by the shoulders and a popping noise echoed in her ears.

"Okay, nobody can hear us", Rhysand said sounding panicked, "Arabella, there is something you need to know".

"Rhys, please calm down", Arabella said softly, "what is it? Is it urgent?"

Rhysand took a long, deep breath.

"Arabella, I haven't told Nyx this yet, but you're unsafe here".

"Unsafe how?"

Rhysand's eyes flicked around them like a crazed man. He was jittery and nervous, like he was worried about something. Arabella had never seen him act like this before.

"Torin, he messed up. You're betrothed, Arabella", Rhysand sighed, "I knew he wouldn't tell you and I couldn't sleep at night knowing you were here".

"Betrothed to who?"

Arabella could hardly believe what she was hearing. Her parents always made sure she had a choice in things, how could they do this without her approval?

"We could leave, Arabella, I could take you back to the Night Court", Rhysand looked desperate now, and Arabella was no longer sure his desperation was for her.

"Who am I betrothed to, Rhys?" She asked more sternly.

Rhysand gulped and Arabella noticed how much his posture had slouched, he looked like the furtherest thing from a High Lord.

"An ex-boyfriend or something, I believe his name was Zachery", Rhysand winced at his own words.

Arabella felt her legs go weak, her heart rate picking up and her vision going blurry. Zachery. It can't be, they wouldn't of done this to her. Her parents, her loving father, they wouldn't do this to her. They know what Zachery did, they saw the pain he caused her. How could they?

"Arabella?" Rhysand was shaking her shoulder, "Arabella? Are you okay?"

She shrugged him off, regaining her consciousness she took several deep breaths.

"I'm fine, please give me space".

Rhysand took a generous step back, allowing Arabella to have the space she needed to breathe again.

"Arabella? Do you want to come back with me? I can come up with a ploy to cover for you?" Rhysand said calmly.

"No, no I can't".

"What do you mean?"

Because now that Arabella was thinking straight and she had temporarily calmed herself, she realised her predicament. She couldn't leave, because if anything ever happened to her fathers, Zachery would be next in-line, if Arabella wasn't in the Dawn Court, if she left, Zachery would be the heir.

"I can't go with you. I have to stay here".

"Why? Everyone is waiting for you, we will look after you", Rhysand tried to reason.

"It's my court or myself. I will always put my court first".

"What about Nyx?"

"He'll understand".

Rhysand shook his head, "you don't have to undergo this for your court, I'm sure there are other options".

"I'll figure it out. It was nice seeing you Rhys, see yourself out".

Because Arabella couldn't defeat Zachery by running away, that's what he wants. But, if a terrible accident were to befall upon her husband than she'd be nothing but an innocent widow.