Chapter 23

Arabella was enjoying her afternoon off by bathing in the warm sunlight and reading on the back porch of the estate. She had avoided thinking about Nyx and their mating bond, she told Azriel that she didn't want to visit Nyx until she had an answer to give. She didn't want to lead him on if it was never going to work.

Arabella had concluded that she did like Nyx, or at least, more than she intended to when beginning their "arrangement". However, her thoughts on relationships still stand despite the mating bond, no matter how bonded you are with someone they could still break your heart.

She was hoping to clear her head and relax in the afternoon sun. Her thoughts were disrupted when Rhysand winnowed to her side, blocking out the sunlight.

Arabella resisted the urge to sigh, did this male have to ruin everything.

"Arabella, I'm sorry to disturb you but it's urgent".

The worry in his voice made her sit up. Her brain immediately rushed to thoughts of Nyx, was he hurt? Had he been captured?

"What's wrong?!" Arabella asked.

"It's your father", he spoke.

Arabella stood up, this caught her attention. What had happened to her father? She cursed herself for thinking of Nyx first.

"What is it?" She said, panic evident in her voice.

"He's injured, they request that you return home immediately".

Arabella didn't have to think twice before running into the house and up the stairs. She hurriedly packed her things, throwing in anything she could find. She didn't know how long she'd be gone, but her parents and her kingdom would always come first.

                                      —————

The Dawn Court was as gorgeous as she left it. The pillowy, white clouds hung low over the city, the gentle breeze caressed Arabella's face. But she didn't have time to sightsee and enjoy the view, as soon as Rhysand winnowed them to the steps of her home, she practically threw herself through the front doors. She knew that if one of her fathers were hurt, they'd be sent straight to the castle's private infirmary, so that is where she ran first. Rhysand was hot on her heels, begging her to slow down and think rationally. Arabella was always rational, and her rational brain told her to assess the injury before panicking further. Rhysand had no obligation to stay, he only had to drop her off and leave, Arabella's winnowing powers couldn't quite get her all the way to the Dawn Court yet.

"Arabella! Slow down!" He called.

She ignored him. Despite the fact she was the heir to the Dawn Court and would soon be the ruler of these lands, meaning her job would include keeping friendly alliances, she found that in her rational opinion, Rhysand was being annoying.
Once Arabella made it to the infirmary, she busted the king's private room open.

"Dad?" Arabella's voice croaked.

Torin lay on the crisp white sheets of the bed, a bandage around his torso and a leg half suspended in the air. Thesan sat beside him, the chair pulled close to the bed.

"Arabella", he said attempting a smile.

She rushed forward to hold his hand beside Thesan. Rhysand had just burst into the room behind her, breathing hard and struggling to talk.

"What happened?" She asked as calmly as possible.

"A training accident", Thesan filled in, "apparently your father decided to demonstrate a risky move which didn't end well for him".

Thesan frowned at Torin, the latter smiling weakly.

"The doctor says he will heal fine, just needs a few months off", Thesan said placing his hand on top of his daughter's.

Arabella took several calming breaths. Her father was okay, she was okay, everything will be okay.

"I'll stay and help you", she said to Thesan, "while dad can't work I'll take over his position".

Thesan furrowed his brows, "Arabella, you don't have to do that, I can handle it on my own".

Arabella shook her head in determination, "no. I want to help".

Rhysand frowned, "The next annual meeting is in a few months".

Arabella turned to Rhys who occupied the doorway, "then my training is over".

Thesan protested. He didn't want her to finish up so soon, especially since she still had much more to learn. However, Arabella was far more stubborn than her father.

"My people come first", Arabella said sternly, "I can complete my training another time, when dad is healed and the pressure is off".

Thesan sighed reluctantly but agreed. Rhysand seemed...saddened by something, a look that Arabella had never seen on his face before.

"Thesan, may we speak outside?" He asked.

Arabella's father squeezed her hand once before leaving the room, allowing Torin and her to have some privacy.

—————

Rhysand waited until the door was shut and they had moved further down the hallway.

"Thesan I have to be completely honest", Rhysand said nervously, his eyes flicking to their surroundings.

Thesan furrowed his brows but motioned for him to continue.

"Torin has been lying to you and I've made some terrible mistakes regarding Arabella", he blurted.

Thesan immediately got defensive, his shoulders squared and he seemed to glare in Rhys' direction.

"Trust me Thesan. Arabella is not safe here".

"That is quite an accusation, care to elaborate?" Thesan questioned with malice.

"I'd been meeting with Torin, he threatened my family so I could make sure Arabella returned home alive and without any...attachments".

"Attachments?" Thesan questioned, seemingly sceptical of Rhysand's whole rant.

"It's a long story", Rhysand sighed, "just trust me when I say Torin is bad news, I know this might be hard to hear but I'm certain Arabella is in trouble".

Thesan scoffed, clearly he refused to believe Rhysand's story. Rhys didn't blame him, if someone had burst into his house and told him Feyre was evil he'd deny it until his last breath.

"Your theatrics are as impeccable as ever, Rhysand. However, I think I'd know if Torin were evil, I've known him most of my life, I fell in love with his caring attitude", Thesan replied grumpily.

"If you don't believe me, ask him", Rhysand pleaded.

Torin was a terrible father. He'd explained his situation to Rhys before threatening Feyre's life. Zachery was an ex-boyfriend of Arabella's, Torin had secretly discovered their relationship and proposed an idea to the young boy. It was going to be a surprise for Arabella. An arranged marriage between them. Torin explained that the boy had manipulated him into thinking they'd been together for years and that marriage was something Arabella wanted. He'd thought he was doing the right thing, but after the papers had been signed his daughter came running to him explaining her years of pain. He'd fucked up. He'd fucked up so bad that the fate of their kingdom was at risk.

"Go home Rhysand", Thesan spat, "save your lies for a more gullible High Lord".