Chapter 33

A few days later and Cassian had barely seen Nyx.
Cassian had been busy himself, but he always made an effort to keep an eye on his nephew. He was the first person Nyx came to when he wanted to learn how to fight and together they had bonded over different fighting tactics and manoeuvres. While he always encouraged the youngling to stir trouble he had never expected to find his nephew practically passed out near Rita's, his companions a few meters away.

"Nyx?" Cassian was practically asking himself that question because it was very clearly his nephew on the pavement, he just couldn't believe it.

Nyx mumbled a few drunken words as Cassian looked at him disapprovingly. Looking up to the early morning sky and cursing himself, he tried to stand Nyx up, it didn't work.

"What are you doing to yourself?" He muttered, again there was no coherent response from Nyx but his companions, Rex and Leon, seemed more sober.

Cassian turned to Leon, the more level headed of the group, "why is my nephew practically dead?"

Leon blushed and shrugged, "I-I tried to get him to drink water but he was insistent on 'drowning his sorrows', or at least that's what he said".

Cassian huffed and nudged his collapsed nephew with the toe of his boat. One question remained, where was Nyx's shirt?

"I thought we were celebrating", Rex had mumbled from beside Leon.

Leon shot him a glare, "you are terrible at reading people's emotions, he was clearly upset at something, why else would he encourage a week long party?"

"Because he knows how to have fun", Rex said matter-of-factly.

Cassian raised a brow, "you planned on partying for a week?"

Leon struggled to stutter out a response so Rex took the reins, "that was the plan, although I think Nyx forgot it was a marathon not a sprint".

Cassian sighed, Rhysand would surely have a long lecture for the kid when he got home, although, Cassian was silently proud at their escapades.

"You two should go back to Windhaven", Cassian said sternly, "don't allow Nyx to try throw anymore week long alcohol related activities".

"Yes, sir", Leon spluttered out before turning on his heel.

"Yes, sir", a chuckling Rex mocked, "he's like seven times your age".

"Fuck off", Leon spat before they took off into the sky.

Cassian huffed, examining the peculiar angle his nephew had got himself in. Realising he was going to be late to training anyway, Cassian lifted a sleepy Nyx into his arms.

"Just be glad it was me that found you, not your dad", he said factually before taking off into the sky.

Cassian usually arrived to training early anyway, he often cleaned the weapons or set up a new drill, so he figured that he wouldn't be missed much. As Cassian soared above Velaris, he had a brilliant idea. Now, obviously Nyx deserved some kind of telling off for his actions, getting blackout drunk wasn't something he should be proud of, but Cassian was never really good at lectures. So Cassian swooped down low and plonked Nyx directly into the Sidra.

The half awake heir gasped loudly as he remerged on the surface of the water. Wiping the water from his eyes and spluttering for a breath, Nyx exclaimed;

"You prick! Why would you do that?!"

Cassian laughed to himself as he landed softly on the shore, "because you're a drunken idiot, also don't call me a prick, I practically saved your ass".

"Saved?" Nyx questioned.

"Yeah, what if your father found you passed out on a curb? What if your mother found you? Even worse, what if Amren found you?"

Nyx didn't reply as he swam to the shore, his dark hair stuck to the sides of his face as he pulled himself out of the water. Nyx sat on the shore facing the water, a clear look of defeat on his face.

"I have to ask", Cassian said, "where is your shirt?"

"Oh", Nyx said looking down at himself, "on the statue in the middle of town".

"THE STATUE OF THE MOTHER AND HER CAULDRON?!"

"Relax!" Nyx replied ruffling his hair, "nobody will know it's mine".

Cassian's mouth was still agape, but he shut it promptly, "I don't even want to know".

Nyx smiled to himself but it didn't quite reach his eyes. Cassian noticed his nephew's deflated face, and he didn't think it was caused by the hangover.

"What's on your mind?" Cassian said nudging Nyx in the arm.

Nyx sighed, running his hands through his hair.

"I can't feel the bond anymore", Nyx said so quietly that Cassian almost missed it.

"What do you mean?"

"She's not there, I can't feel her. Is this what it feels like when a mating bond is rejected?" He said softly.

Cassian's lips thinned, "I don't know, but I've heard it feels like a part of you is dying, it sounds very painful".

"I'm not in any physical pain", Nyx muttered, "I just don't understand it".

Cassian raised a brow, gesturing for him to continue.

"I thought we were doing so well. Of course there is still Zachery to deal with and her court business, but for once I thought we were on the same page, and now she does this", he sighed, "maybe a mating bond isn't worth all of this pain".

"Don't say that", Cassian said sternly, "I watched Nesta with countless other males before she even looked at me, but when she finally gave me the time of day it was worth it. It will all be worth it".

Nyx leant his tired head on his uncle's shoulder.

"Can we go get my shirt and promise not to tell my dad about this?" He said sweetly.

"I can do the first part but I can't do the second", Cassian said standing up and stretching his wings.

"Please Uncle Cass?" Nyx begged dramatically.

Cassian rolled his eyes, "no, and stop being so dramatic, you're just like your father".

A/N: had to bring Rex and Leon back, I felt like we haven't seen them in a hot minute. And yes Leon does have a little crush on Cass, who can blame him?