Chapter 24

"What do you mean she's gone?" Nyx growled.

Azriel had appeared at Windhaven late afternoon, Nyx, Rex and Leon were already drinking in their hut. When Azriel had knocked Nyx expected to feel Arabella's presence close by, but the other end of the mating bond had never felt further away.

"I only found out a few hours ago", Azriel stated, "she's not dead if that's what your worried about, you would know".

Nyx clenched his fists, his two friends looked on in concern.

"Then what happened?" Nyx could feel unbridled rage sizzling beneath the surface of his skin.

"She's just staying in the Dawn Court for a few months, her father is injured and she is staying to help out", Azriel stated plainly.

No that wasn't right. Something didn't feel right. Nyx began to pace. Of course, it made sense that Arabella would put her family above him, but she hadn't even tugged on the mating bond to let him know. Reluctantly, Nyx gave the mating bond a tug, but there was no answer.

"Is she safe?" Nyx asked sternly.

"She's home", Azriel said stating the obvious, "of course she is safe".

Nyx huffed, "she won't answer me down the bond".

Azriel shrugged, "maybe she is ignoring you. She did tell me she didn't want to lead you on".

"Lead me on", Nyx repeated, "I still would've liked her to talk to me".

Azriel crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow, "so you're telling me you could of ignored your feelings for her if she was sitting beside you?"

Nyx glared but didn't disagree.

"I'm sure she'll be fine Nyx, she's the heir to the Dawn Court", Leon spoke up from the couch.

Nyx ran a hand through his hair, maybe he was being stupid and Arabella truely was fine. She could take care of herself. Either way, Nyx's stomach was churning with worry.

"I have to go", Azriel announced, "Rhys wants me back. I'm assuming you can come home now, if you'd like".

Nyx sighed, "I'll see how I feel. Let me know if anything happens with Arabella".

Azriel turned to leave but paused momentarily, "Nyx, I know she's your mate, but you can't go to her uninvited, it's still another court, you'll be trespassing".

"I know Uncle Az. I'm not about to do anything stupid".

He was going to. But, Azriel had a point. Nyx was a heir, trespassing is breaking a law and then he could potentially, if Thesan was having a bad day, start a war. Court business was unruly.

Azriel disappeared into his shadows and Nyx was left standing in the hut with his two best friends.

—————

"Azriel, I've done something stupid".

In all his days of work, Azriel had never seen Rhysand look so...stressed. He had eye-bags that were a purplish black, and his hair was far from its usual neat position. His office was a mess, papers were on the floor and big, leather books were open on his desk, one read Marriage and Divorce, the other was titled Bargains and How to Reverse Them.

"Cauldron Rhys, is there something up with you and Feyre?" Azriel said eyeing the books suspiciously.

Rhys followed and his line of sight while scrunching his brow, he shook his head, "what? No! Everything is fine with Feyre and I. I've fucked up on a totally new level".

Azriel resisted the strong urge to sigh. If he had a coin every time Rhys called him in because he'd done something stupid, he'd have three coins, which isn't much but it's strange its happened that many times.

"Elaborate", Azriel drawled.

"This is serious, Az. I think I've simultaneously destroyed my son's life as well as the entire Dawn Court!"

This got Azriel listening. His mind instantly began swirling with the hundreds of possibilities and solutions. One factor in all of these possibilities remained the same, Nyx was right about Arabella leaving, something wasn't right.

"Arabella is not returning. And she isn't safe in the Dawn Court", he said breathing heavily.

"Why would you?-"

"I HAD NO OTHER CHOICE!", Rhys blurted, "he threatened Feyre and...the baby".

"THE WHAT?!"

Rhys sagged in his seat, "Feyre is pregnant again. We didn't have time to tell anyone because it took us by surprise".

"Shit is she okay? Is it going to be like last time?!"

Rhysand shook his head, "the baby doesn't have wings, she'll be okay".

Azriel took a calming breath, "okay, we will talk about that later. Now tell me how you destroyed the Dawn Court, should we be preparing for war?"

"No, there won't be a war", Rhysand replied, "Arabella has an ex-boyfriend, his name is Zachery. He was manipulative and abusive, somehow, he managed to convince Torin that a surprise marriage would be a good idea, they made a bargain".

"Idiot", Azriel grumbled. If it was his daughter he would've done a hundred background checks before considering anything like that.

"When Arabella finally spoke out about her abuse, the papers had been signed, they were, by law, officially married. Zachery is the Prince of Dawn and Arabella has no idea".

Azriel sighed, "how can we help her?"

"That's the problem, we can't. I tried to tell Thesan but he won't believe me and Torin has already threatened my family. But I've just sent that girl to her death and she's oblivious", Rhysand was visibly holding back tears, "am I a terrible person, Az?"

Azriel blinked in shock for a few seconds, "what? No! You did what you could in the moment. Now, we see what we can do from here".

Rhysand was crumbling under this stress, Azriel had to take some pressure off.

"Go get some sleep, brother. I'll continue researching and see what we can do", Azriel patted Rhys on the back and watched as he left.

Azriel scanned the work Rhys had already done. Dawn Court bargains were different from Night Court ones, similar premise but they appeared differently. Torin would bare no physical markings of the bargain that they could use as proof, only that when questioned directly he could not lie. But there is no way they could get in there to interrogate him, not without breaking several laws.

Azriel felt bad for Nyx, the poor boy had just met his mate and now she is never coming home.