Chapter 35

Cassian had dumped Nyx on the doorstep of Rhysand's estate. As Cassian flew away towards the House of Wind, Nyx rubbed his temples. This hangover ought to be one of his worst yet. He barely remember the night, he knew he was dancing on a table at one point but he wasn't even sure how he got there. While Nyx sat on his ass on the doorstep, delaying his father's lecture, Rhys had already spotted him from an upstairs window.

"Good morning!" Rhys shouted from the window above him.

Nyx groaned at the loud noise and raised a tired hand to his dad in way of greeting. In a flash, Rhys appeared at the doorstep beside him, a cheeky grin on his face.

"Rough night?" He asked smoothly.

Nyx huffed picking himself up off the ground,
"bad son! You should be more responsible!'", Nyx mocked his dad's voice.

"You missed the part where I make you train with Amren for a week", Rhys said crossing his arms.

"Not Amren!", Nyx grumbled, "isn't she still in the Summer Court?"

Rhys shrugged, his hands slipping into his pockets, "I'm sure the lure of torturing you will bring her back into town".

Nyx rolled his eyes knowing his father was joking.

"Why are you wet?" Rhys asked as if only just realising his son was soaking from head to toe.

"Cassian dumped me in the Sidra", Nyx muttered, embarrassed.

Rhysand burst out laughing, practically doubling over in laughter. Nyx only sighed, waiting for his father to finish his tormenting.

"I need him to show me that memory later", Rhys said as he casted a drying charm on his son before they entered the house.

Although it was only early morning, Nyx could smell the most delicious food coming from the kitchen. His stomach grumbled in anticipation. As Nyx began making his way to the kitchen he realised his father had paused.

Confused, Nyx turned back. Rhysand's eyes were glazed over, his face blank. He was talking to someone mind-to-mind. Probably Cassian, Nyx thought bitterly, his dad was definitely collecting that memory he spoke about. But as Rhys' eyes turned back to normal and his shoulders slumped; the power that radiated from him was potent.

"Dad?" Nyx asked hesitantly.

Was he angry at him? Why else would such a powerful rage overtake his father? Maybe it was the statue thing. Rhysand didn't say anything as he stormed through the house and up the stairs. He was radiating anger but there was real concern and fear in his eyes. Nyx had never seen his father like this.

A sinking feeling resonated in Nyx's stomach as he followed his father up the stairs.

"Dad?!" Nyx asked more sternly, he hated being out of the loop.

His father still didn't answer, he was taking deliberate long strides towards his room. Was something wrong? Was his mother okay? Panic fell upon Nyx at the realisation something was very wrong. Soon, Nyx too was speeding down the hallway after his father.

"Get Azriel and Cassian", his father turned around and snapped.

It was an order, not a request. Sensing the urgency and panic in his father's voice, as well as the anger in his eyes; Nyx didn't hesitate to winnow.

Landing with a thump outside the House of Wind, Nyx rushed inside. There was no time to waste. Training, they were usually training at this time of day. Nyx's hangover was forgotten as he ran as fast as he could towards the training ring.

Bursting through the door, Nyx barrelled in, practically stumbling to where he spotted Cassian and Azriel sparring.

Azriel had sensed him immediately, pausing their sparring and turning to the boy. Cassian raised a confused brow, moments before the young Illyrian was passed out and now he was running?