Chapter 28

"The lavender ones look better than the yellow", Arabella instructed the maid.

The maid shuffled off with the two flower choices, instructing the other maids. She couldn't bring herself to care about this ceremony, her thoughts had been elsewhere. It was Zachery's ceremony, he was being announced as her fiancé, it would also be Arabella's first time seeing Nyx since she left.

While she was already nervous about seeing Nyx, he had made it ten times worse with the note he had sent. It had arrived in a plume of darkness on her bedside table, a pen appearing with it.

Do I need to bring an army with me? Or at the very least my favourite fighting sword?
~ Nyx

Her breath had caught in her throat when she'd read it, not at Nyx's attempt at a joke but at the fact he was waiting for her, willing to help. She had convinced herself that he'd want nothing to do with her anymore, that he'd be angry at her for staying with Zachery. She had happy tears in her eyes as she wrote back.

No army needed. Just a very deadly glare.
~ Belle

As soon as she'd signed her name the note had disappeared again and it returned faster than she expected.

I've already had Azriel practicing. Are you okay?
~ Nyx

Arabella had looked to her door when he'd asked that, Zachery slept across the hall. She was not silly enough to allow him anywhere near her at night, she'd already changed the locks.

I'm fine, I'm excited to see you again.
~ Arabella.

She'd been hoping to change the subject, she didn't want him worrying, not when Zachery had hardly touched her. He had dealt annoying taunts and snide remarks but he always hesitated to hurt her, Arabella couldn't figure out why, she was waiting for him to hit her so she could legally hit back. But every time she angered him and he raised a hand, it would always return to his side.

I miss you
~ Nyx

Arabella had to throw the note in the fireplace when he said that. She couldn't distract herself from her end goal, and unfortunately Nyx was not involved in those plans.

"Good afternoon, sweetie", Zachery said kissing her neck as he walked passed.

Arabella resisted the urge to gag or at the very least shiver. She'd been trying to play the part of the doting fiancé, but it turns out it's really hard to be meek and forgiving when that wasn't who you were anymore.

"Afternoon", she replied sweetly, "I've almost finished all the decorations and dinner is already beginning to cook".

"Perfect", he smiled, "I can't wait to show you off tonight, you'll be wearing the gold dress I brought you?"

"Of course", she smiled back.

Arabella had began to hate the pink and gold of the Dawn Court, she missed the dark hues of the Night Court, she felt more comfortable in those pieces. Zachery always put her in gold, his trophy she supposed.

"I do like the way it hugs your curves", he said stepping forward and brushing her dark hair over her shoulder, "you must save me a dance, honey".

She batted her lashes, "who else would I dance with but you?"

                                     —————

Arabella could hardly breathe in the high-necked dress, it was gold and sickeningly covered in glitter. She wore high heels and a head piece that screamed "future Lady of the Dawn Court", because if Zachery got her way she would not be High Lady, but just Lady. Tugging at her collar, she tried to regain her breathing. Tonight was either going to go really well or terribly wrong.

"Ma'am the guests are beginning to arrive", a maid said through the small crack in the door.

"I'll be there in a moment", she sighed, trying to sound content.

Arabella was far from content, she could practically feel her lunch curdling in her stomach. After a few more deep breaths she pushed open the door. In order for her plan to work she had to appear happy, she had to convince the other High Lords and Lady's that she was happy handing her title to Zachery. Otherwise when he dies, they might suspect her. Because he will die. Arabella had considered many methods, but the only one that would give her the most satisfaction would be infiltrating his mind and crushing him from the inside out. Yes, even thinking about it made her smile.

"Honey!" Zachery called from across the dinning room, "come meet High Lord Eris and his wife Victoria".

Arabella glided over, a pleasant, dumb smile on her face, "Eris it's lovely to see you again, Victoria I heard about your pregnancy, I hope all is well".

She gave a soft curtsy and made pleasant conversation with the two rulers of the Autumn Court.

"All is well, Eris and I have been brainstorming names, if you have any ideas let me know", Victoria said, her belly in full bump.

"She insists on it being something fire related but if I have to hear another fire related name again I might burn myself alive", Eris muttered, ever the dramatic High Lord.

Arabella stifled a laugh, "what's wrong with a fire related name?"

"It's something my father would've done", he grumbled.

Victoria put her hand on Eris' arm before smiling kindly at Arabella.

"Maybe something forest related", Arabella suggested, easing the tension, "the Autumn Court has such beautiful forests".

"That's a lovely suggestion", Victoria said sweetly.

The two excused themselves as the High Lord to Winter entered, Eris said they were having border issues that they were hoping to discuss.

"How do you do that?" Zachery whispered harshly.

"Do what?"

"Navigate the other courts so nicely", he huffed, "I was right to choose you".

"It comes with experience", Arabella said choosing to ignore his last comment, "you'll get it one day".

Not before he's dead, she thought.

Arabella knew as soon as the Night Court entered. She could feel the bond tugging at her incessantly, the need to run to him was excruciating and yet she had to remain still, to act indifferent.

It was Rhysand and Feyre that led the way, Nyx by their side wearing a black suit with silver embroidery. Azriel and Cassian flanked either side of their ruling family, both of them were wearing their meanest glares, Arabella tried not to laugh.

Nyx's eyes locked onto hers immediately, his beautiful violet eyes showing nothing but concern. She wanted to run to them, to him, she hadn't realised how much she missed them until they were right there, so close and yet so far away.

"Shall we dance?" Zachery said stepping into her view.

"What?" Arabella said genuinely confused, "shouldn't we welcome our new guests?"

As the hosts of the party, it was proper etiquette to meet all the guests at the door before celebrating in any activities.

"Dance", Zachery said sternly, before forcefully grabbing her arm and tugging her into the designated dancing space.

While they waltzed around the room, Arabella could feel Nyx's eyes on her, she could feel the darkness he radiated and the anger that he sent down the bond.

She had never felt him so angry as when Zachery's hand slid further down her back and rested millimetres from her ass.

A/N: I'm back bitches and it's about to get juicy, buckle up!