Chapter 37

"I'm truely honoured that you chose me for this experiment, your highness", Marie spoke softly.

Her eyes were full of admiration as she looked up at Zachery, and he smiled back to her. Arabella felt sick as she watched Marie preen over her abuser. For the last half an hour they'd been discussing how the next few months would play out. Marie would birth their child and then happily hand it over to them and the child would become the heir to the Dawn Court.

Arabella had felt a great wave of relief at the discovery that Marie was not yet pregnant, and that they'd been having difficulties trying to get her body to accept the fertilised egg.

"I hate to be rude, but I must ask, why do you need a surrogate?" Marie had directed the question towards Arabella but it was Zachery that answered.

"Since Arabella was born under...different circumstances", Zachery spoke, resting his hand on her knee, "she's been unable to produce an heir. I do hope you'll understand the delicacy and confidentiality that this requires".

Lies.

"Oh of course, my Lord! I'm great at keeping secrets", Marie smiled kindly.

The woman was caring and kind, she was clearly only doing this for the large sum of money that Zachery had offered. Either way, Arabella was sure she'd make a wonderful mother.

On the other hand, Arabella could only feel great dread at the thought of motherhood. There was no child yet, but she felt guilty over the life it could - would - be living if her plan didn't succeed.

Her powers were out of the question. The new shackles Zachery had made for her, were discrete and feather light, they were bound by a magic she didn't understand. Arabella could feel them subduing her power, she had already tried to pull them off or break them, but nothing worked.

So he would have to die the old-fashioned way.

And his death would have to be soon. Arabella recalled her training with Cassian and Azriel. She hoped to lean on the weapon-wielding skill of Illyrians to drive a dagger into the beast's heart. Now, she only had to sneak a knife up her sleeve and kill him when the time was right.

Arabella no longer cared what the other High Lord's would think of Zachery's death. Maybe it was selfish but Court politics no longer mattered to her when her life was at stake.

Because Arabella was scared.

She had never felt this afraid before. She always thought Zachery would spare her, that his love for her ran so deep he couldn't bare to see her dead. But he had let her starve in a dungeon for weeks. Arabella could see the malicious intent in his eyes whenever he looked her way. If she didn't kill him, he would surely kill her.

Of course, she would try to minimise the political damage his death would have. But at the end of the day, she would do what she needed to and deal with the consequences later.

—————

Nyx had been staring at the same piece of paper for an eternity, his mouth agape, anger brewing in his stomach every time he read it.

Dear High Lord Rhysand,

A party will be held at the Dawn Court Palace on Friday. Refreshments will be supplied, bring all your friends and family for a night of fun and celebration.

Signed,
High Lord Zachery.

They had received the letter a few days ago. And Nyx could hardly contain his anger. High Lord?! He didn't want to believe it. The prick just kept adding to the list of reasons he needed to die.

Today was the day they'd be attending the wretched meeting, today was also the day they planned to break Arabella out. Azriel had been watching her for the last week, and he had confirmed all of Nyx's fears. She was struggling and tired. He had wanted to rush over there immediately, to hell with Court politics. But his father had restrained him, they had to think strategically.

"Are you ready?" Feyre said poking her head through his bedroom door.

Nyx smoothed out the folds on his suit, it was mostly plain black but there were two silver stars embroidered on the cuffs.

"I guess", Nyx said.

His mother frowned and approached him, softly closing the door behind her. She gently took the letter from his hands and threw it into the fireplace. The flames caressing Zachery's hand writing.

"I know this has been really hard for you", she said placing a hand on his shoulder, "the odds were never in your favor since you met Arabella".

Nyx frowned too. He supposed they were always destined to struggle in their relationship, he didn't want to admit it but both their lives were incredibly complicated.

"I just want you to know, I'm so incredibly proud of you".

Nyx could hardly tear his gaze away from the letter that was burning in the fire.

"No matter what happens, you have followed through with your heart at every turn and that takes a lot of bravery. I'm the proudest mother in the world".

Nyx leaned forward wrapping his mother in a fierce hug. She meant everything to him. Even though he couldn't draw as well as her and he didn't share many of her features, she was his mother and he wouldn't change it for the world.

"I love you", Nyx muttered into her shoulder.

"I love you too, Nyx".

Breaking away from the hug, he watched as his mother brushed away a few stray tears.

"It must be the baby, I'm getting all emotional", she huffed brushing her hair away from her face.

Nyx chuckled before adding, "stay safe while we're gone".

Feyre smiled, "Amren and Mor are fierce protectors, I'll be perfectly fine".

Nyx always worried for his mother. Ever since he was little and found out his parents had a death pact, a small part of him resented them for it. Because if one of them died he'd be without both parents and at first he thought that was incredibly selfish of them.

However, as he got older, a small quiet part of him wished there was someone out there who would love him so much that they too could not live without him. He hoped someone would love him just as unconditionally as his parents loved each other.

He had hoped he could find that in Arabella.

A/N: On a deep note, Nyx's feelings about love really resonate with me. My upload schedule might be a bit all over the place for the next month (I'll do my best for you all).