Chapter 2

Nyx and his family arrived back at the Night Court. The whole meeting was boring. The only thing keeping Nyx going was how delicious Arabella looked in that cream and gold dress. She looked so angelic, her wings poised behind her back, her hair swept into a crown of braids.

Nyx stomped into the estate, exhausted from the meeting and wanting nothing more than to go to bed.

"Nyx", his father said sternly.

It was the voice he used whenever he wanted to talk. Nyx pivoted. Azriel still stood behind his father, arms crossed. Azriel knew, Nyx knew he would at least have an inkling to how many times Nyx practically drooled over Arabella. However, Azriel wouldn't tell Rhys, at least not yet.

"Yes, dad?" Nyx was impatient.

"What's your opinion on Arabella coming to stay with us?" He said, no flicker of knowledge in his eyes.

Nyx sighed, "I think it will further improve our diplomatic relations with the Dawn Court, and now that they are in our debt we could rely on them in the future".

Rhys nodded once. Nyx resisted the urge to look at the spymaster who was no doubt smirking.

"I meant your opinion on Arabella", His Dad said, "you seem to know her well".

Nyx scoffed. He was alluding to all the very public arguments they had at meetings and fancy dinners.

"Are you wondering whether I can act civil while she is here?" Nyx asked.

Rhysand smiled, "no. You're a good judge of character I wanted to know what you thought of her".

Nyx tensed only slightly, "she's a very nice person", he said stiffly, "very caring too".

His dad nodded once, it was a dismissal. Nyx turned again, making his way up the stairs to his room. He wondered what it would be like to have Arabella here, which room would she sleep in? He silently hoped it was the one across from him.

Nyx wanted to tear these feelings from his chest, stomp on them and then maybe light them on fire. He should not like Arabella. He shouldn't want her in the way that he does, but for the 20 years Nyx had known Arabella, he could not think of her as a friend. He was drawn to her the moment they met, her hazel eyes, her glorious wings, he just had to approach her, had to find a way to always be near her. But she would become High Lady, just like he would become High Lord. Nowhere in history has two seperate rulers dated. So Nyx would never say anything, it would be too complicated and messy. It was better off untouched.

                                       ~~~~~~

"So Rhys tells me your favourite Dawn Princess is coming to stay", Cassian said by way of greeting.

Nyx slumped down at the dining table, beginning to put some breakfast onto his plate. He really didn't want to deal with Cassian's teasing today. Cassian should go home and take care of his pregnant wife not bother Nyx with his annoying comments.

"I do love watching you bicker", Cassian continued, "reminds me of Nesta".

"Please don't start", Nyx said, feeling a headache already.

This was the last thing he wanted to wake up to, Cassian's teasing was notoriously annoying. As Nyx began shoveling into his breakfast, Cassian said the most outlandish and Cassian-thing to say.

"You two should fuck".

Nyx choked on his breakfast, Feyre swore and Azriel seemed to hit Cassian on the arm. Rhysand simply raised a brow.

"Cassian", Feyre hissed, "you can't speak like that".

"Why not?!" Cassian said, not an ounce of regret on his face, "Nyx clearly wants to".

Nyx suddenly wished his chair would devour him and that hopefully its metaphorical stomach would be nicer than this conversation. But none of that happened, instead his face just turned red.

"Nyx?" Rhysand said, turning his attention to him.

Nyx looked for a way out, an escape route, he sent pleading eyes to Azriel but he seemed to shake his head.

"Nyx?" Feyre said sternly.

"No!" He blurted, "I promise I don't".

Lie. It was such a lie, but he continued anyway.

"I find her attractive, of course I do", Nyx amended at his parents skeptical looks, "I mean she is beautiful but, that would be too complicated, too messy for the courts".

Later, Nyx would destroy Cassian in the ring and maybe Azriel too since he didn't help at all.

"Nyx", Rhysand said sternly as if asking if that was the truth at all.

"You argue all the time", His mother said softly.

"Exactly!" Nyx said, "Hence why it would be a bad idea and we should all forget this conversation ever happened".

His parents still remained wary but they didn't say anything as Nyx returned to his food. If he left the table it would be too obvious that he was running away, so instead he settled for eating his food fast.

Nyx argued with Arabella, and he would continue to. As long as it provided an easy way to talk to her, to see her visibly restrain from shouting at him, as long as she was looking at him, anger in her eyes or not. Nyx would continue to flirt and poke her, as long as it was him she was looking at.

Pathetic, Nyx was utterly pathetic. Drooling over someone who wouldn't even look twice in his direction. Yet another reason he should drown the feelings inside him. Because as much as Nyx drooled and flirted, Arabella would never see him that way.

—————

Straight after breakfast, Nyx dragged Cassian and Azriel to the training ring. He was still angry at Cassian for mentioning anything to his father about Arabella, but most of all he needed to be hit in the face. He was like this every time he had just seen Arabella, it was like she was a drug and he was having withdrawals. His brain could not think of anything other than her gorgeous fucking lips and her long fucking legs. So Nyx made a point of getting punched in the face, it helped.

Azriel merely sighed as Nyx readied himself for the fight. He was probably sick of the routine. Nyx was to take on Cassian and Azriel at the same time.

"Don't go easy on me", Nyx said teeth clenched.

"I won't", Cassian said flashing a smile.

Nyx knew Cassian would never go easy on him, Azriel however always held back a little bit. Although, Nyx doubted he could take Azriel's full strength, shadows and all.

Nyx tore off his shirt, held his wings in tight and pulled his fists up.

Cassian raised a brow, "wings? It must be serious".

Nyx huffed but didn't disagree. He could only imagine the pummelling it would take to get Arabella off his mind after the six months. Until the next meeting, had been what his father said when Arabella asked how long she would stay. Six months of her. Her being the forbidden romance he could never pursue.

"Let's fight", Nyx said, honing his rage.

Cassian swung first and Nyx allowed the full force of it to hit him in the shoulder. Cassian seemed to hesitate a moment before he threw the next, which hit Nyx in the face. Shaking off the pain, Nyx began swinging back. A punch to the gut and several punches to the face later, Azriel joined in. He had previously been watching from the sidelines, observing both their stances and play. Nyx also presumed Azriel didn't want to be the one to hit him in the face.

Nyx took on both Cassian and Azriel, defending and punching when required, and allowing the occasional hit to reach him, especially if his thoughts travelled to Arabella.