Chapter 15

Arabella had beaten Nyx to the library. He wasn't too far behind but he certainly wasn't anywhere near beating her. He landed beside her, trying to hide how out of breath he was. She already had her wings hidden and was walking further into the library, Nyx thought her sashaying hips were his own personal torture. He jogged to catch up to her.

"Next time, try a bit harder", she said over her shoulder, oozing arrogance.

Nyx scoffed, "it's not my fault Peregryn wings make you go faster".

"You shouldn't of challenged me then", she said smirking, amusement dancing in her eyes.

Nyx smiled back at her, before scooping her up, one arm under her knees, the other under her shoulder.

"Put me down, Nyx!" She said elbowing him and trying to wriggle out.

Nyx just dashed towards the library corner they always practiced in.

"Not until you apologise!" He said still running, Arabella still squirming.

"Apologise for what?!" She said slapping his arm and kicking her feet.

Nyx only ignored her until they got to their corner and he laid her down on the couch. She had gone silent when she realised their position. Nyx was hovering over her and he suddenly remembered what she had said about passing time. She seemed to remember too.

"Apologise for what?" She said softly.

For everything, Nyx thought. For making him drool over her for twenty years and then offering nothing but casual sex. He wanted more than that. He wanted the quiet moments, where he'd read her stories and she'd sleep on the couch. But instead he said;

"Apologise for being so arrogant about your win".

She smirked, "I don't apologise to losers".

He grinned and began kissing her neck, "are you sure you don't want to apologise?"

He kept kissing her, returning to the stop he finished this morning. He slowly pulled down the top of her shirt, just enough to get better access of her breast.

"I'm sure", she said, but now she was squirming for a different reason.

Nyx chuckled against her skin, his hand slowly sliding up her thigh, getting closer and closer to where he knew she wanted him.

"I can't wait to make you beg for my forgiveness", he said lowly.

She cursed under her breath as Nyx replaced his hand with his mouth and began kissing and sucking on the thighs he loved so much. His heart was pounding in his chest, god he wanted this. But at the same time, he didn't want to cross that line, not when she didn't know they were mates.

"OH FOR CAULDRON'S SAKE!" A voice shouted from the library entrance.

Nyx immediately threw himself off of Arabella, landing with a thump on the floor. He groaned in pain and looked up to find Azriel facing his back to them.

"Please tell me you're both decent", he sighed.

Nyx glanced at Arabella, checking she had rearranged her shirt.

"We're fine", Nyx groaned as he sat up.

Azriel turned around, face slightly red from embarrassment, but mainly he was glaring at Nyx.

"Horny fucking teenagers", he cursed under his breath.

Arabella was looking at the ground in embarrassment, Nyx rolled his shoulders before sitting on the couch beside her.

"Nyx, your father wants to speak to you", Azriel said pointing a thumb towards the exit.

"You didn't tell him did you?!" Nyx said suddenly panicked.

He was embarrassed enough that his parents knew he liked Arabella. He did not want them in on his sex life too.

"No, I didn't", Azriel sighed, "but please don't let me find you like this again".

Nyx stood up and mocked a salute towards Azriel before scrambling out of the building. He glanced back and saw Azriel sitting down with Arabella, he was probably there to take over her training. Nyx willed his wings to appear and took off into the sky. He hoped that perhaps the wind could wash away his arousal. Azriel was definitely getting the best Solstice gift this year.

Nyx swooped down and landed where he and Arabella had taken off. He smoothed out his clothes and rushed inside. He had no idea what his dad wanted to talk about, perhaps it was something with the camps, or a diplomatic mission he'd have to take. As Nyx entered his dad's office, he knew it wouldn't be good when Rhys was sitting behind the desk nursing a headache. This time, Nyx knew it wasn't because of alcohol.

"Take a seat".

He was speaking with the High Lord, not his father. This wasn't his dad.

"Dad?" He said cautiously.

He rubbed his eyes and looked up. He looked tired and worn out, he looked...reluctant. Whatever he was about to tell Nyx, he knew it wasn't good.

"I'm sorry", his dad began, "I don't want to tear this away from you".

"Tear what?" Nyx replied with venom, "what is it?"

His dad sighed, Nyx braced for impact.

"You can't date Arabella, she cannot be your mate, you cannot make anything official and she will never be your High Lady".

Nyx growled, "what are you saying?"

"Arabella is off-limits", his father said sternly.

"Like hell!" Nyx roared, "she's my mate!"

"She is the daughter of another High Lord", he stated plainly, "I allowed you to entertain this for a little while, but bottom line is, it cannot happen".

Nyx stood out his chair, "she's my mate!"

"I know!" Rhysand said standing up to match him.

Both their powers coated the room, Rhysand's pure night, and whatever fragments of the High Lords Nyx had inherited. It was a deadly concoction.

"Fuck you!" Nyx seethed, "a real father wouldn't do this, wouldn't deprive his son of happiness!"

Nyx's Night Court powers flocked Rhys, his eyes were flames, his finger nails turning to claws.

"You'll find happiness elsewhere!" Rhys said tightly.

"I ONLY CARE ABOUT HER!" He shouted.

An angry wind blew the papers off his fathers desk, Nyx didn't even realised he was shaking until he pointed a finger at his father.

"You're a piece of shit, did you know that?" Nyx said far too calmly.

His powers were pushing against his father's. Nyx could easily outdo him, Rhys was visibly struggling to push back against Nyx's powers.

"You'd kill your own blood for her?" He gritted out.

"She'd never betray me like this", he said before attempting to reel in his powers.

Nyx turned and stormed out of the office, his powers swirling around him like a storm.

"You're blinded by the mating bond!" Rhys called after him, "don't be a fool!"

If being foolish was wanting to be with your mate, wanting to treasure the time they had together, then he was foolish.