Chapter 16

Arabella hadn't seen Nyx in days. Feyre informed her that he'd gone to Windhaven to train, but Arabella couldn't help but feel she'd done something wrong. He never returned for dinner, Rhysand had taken over her daemati training and she had heard zero information on why he was even there.

The timing of his disappearance made her think she'd said something wrong or did something to offend him. They'd only just started their agreement, perhaps he wished to bail but didn't want to confront her. She tried not to mope around the house and instead spent every other second training with Cassian, but it didn't help. She had quizzed Azriel on his whereabouts but the spymaster was reluctant to give up anything.

They all knew something she didn't, she could feel it in their stares. Not to mention the fact that Arabella often heard Rhys and Feyre arguing at all sorts of ungodly hours. She only caught snippets of their conversations but she knew they were about Nyx.

"Arms up!" Cassian said as he swung a punch towards the area Arabella unintentionally left open.

She quickly blocked it and corrected her guard.

"Focus", Cassian said sternly.

Arabella resisted the urge to argue with him. She was so grumpy and petulant now that Nyx was gone, they never even got a chance to finish what they started.

Cassian swung at another open spot Arabella had neglected, this time she wasn't quick enough to dodge it or block it. Cassian punched her straight in the gut which made her wince, the air being pushed out of her lungs.

"Focus", Cassian hissed again, "I won't coddle you just because you're the heir to Dawn".

Arabella straightened herself, forcing herself to pretend she was fine. She couldn't decide whether she felt betrayed or angry at what Nyx had done, but either way she was going to talk to him the next time she saw him, if they ever saw each other again.

An idea crossed her mind as Cassian swung another punch and she blocked it.

"Take me to Windhaven", she said between pants.

Confusion flashed across Cassian's eyes before he realised her true motive and said, "no".

"Why not?" She said angrily.

"Because we are here and training, you didn't come to the Night Court to chase around after Nyx".

Arabella growled at the insinuation, "take me or I'll take myself".

Arabella had no idea where the camp was situated, but she was sure if she was determined enough she could find her way.

"Don't be stupid", Cassian said bluntly, "are you really going to prioritise Nyx over your training?"

It did seem foolish, to pass up such an opportunity just to chase after the guy she wanted to fuck. But her head was spinning and anger flowed through her every bone. These people were keeping something from her, and maybe it was none of her business, but she couldn't shake this feeling that it was about her.

"Take me", she growled.

"Run fifty laps of the training ground and I'll consider it", he hissed back.

Arabella didn't hesitate when she took off at a run. Fifty laps was nothing compared to her usual training although she wouldn't tell Cassian that.

                                    —————

Nyx groaned as he allowed himself to collapse on the floor of the training ring. Getting punched in the stomach repeatedly did not help quench his anger or diffuse his lust. Arabella was so far away and he knew where she was, he knew she was angry.

"Come on, lordling", Rex said looming over him, blocking the sun, "it's lunch".

Nyx didn't want lunch, especially not Illyrian food. He had come to the mountains to clear his head and maybe resist the urge to kill his father. He didn't want to kill his father anymore but he was certainly still angry.

Nyx sat up, running a hand through his hair and brushing some of the dirt off of his bare back.

"I think it's roast potatoes again", Leon said offering a hand to help Nyx up.

Nyx took it and allowed Leo to help him stand.

"Are you going to tell us what's wrong yet?" Leon said calmly.

Nyx had already gotten pissed at them for asking the first time, he didn't feel ready to tell his mates what a roller coaster his life had become since Rita's.

"No", Nyx grumbled.

Leon sighed but helped Nyx out of the ring, the three of them trudging over towards the cafeteria. The hut that the soldiers called the cafeteria, was basically a kitchen and some old, wooden picnic tables. A different group was assigned cooking duties each day, many of the males were too ignorant to learn how to cook, hence, the bad food. Nyx, Rex and Leon sat together at the furthest table that was tucked into a corner. Rex jogged up to the serving table and grabbed them three plates of potatoes and beans.

"Nyx you're putting a damper on all our moods, what is wrong? We might be able to help", Leon said calmly.

Leo always had a way with being comforting and kind when it was needed, Rex, on the other hand, had no filter.

"Trouble with a certain Dawn Princess", Rex taunted as he returned with their food.

A growl slipped out of Nyx's throat, it was purely animalistic, and nothing like Nyx.

"Nyx?" Leon was both cautious and confused.

Even Rex looked startled by Nyx's growl, he hadn't meant for it to come out, the stupid mating bond was driving him crazy.

"I'm fine", Nyx said attempting to end the conversation by shoving unseasoned potatoes into his mouth.

Rex raised a brow, "that wasn't nothing, you just growled at us for mentioning her name".

Nyx felt anger prickled down his spine.

"Rex", Leon said in warning.

Rex didn't seem to want to relent, "what happened Nyx? Did she reject you?"

Nyx growled again, his anger at Rex radiated throughout the room, his power begged to be released. Leon was wide-eyed and panicked.

"Fuck! Rex! Apologise!" Leon said nudging him.

Rex seemed to ignore him and stood, Nyx standing with him. Rex was challenging him.

"Say it Nyx", Rex taunted, "who is Arabella to you?"

Nyx didn't say anything, his anger had made people looked towards them, some began retreating out of the room. Leon face-palmed himself as Rex said;

"Arabella is beautiful isn't she? Shame she doesn't feel the same way about you".

Nyx snapped and punched Rex straight in the face. Rex fell back onto the floor, a wicked grin on his face. Leon jumped up to hold Nyx back but Nyx shoved him away.

He bent down over Rex, grabbing him by the collar and bringing his face to meet his.

Nyx whispered to him harshly so only he could hear, "speak about my mate again and I'll rip you apart".