Chapter 47

Arabella pulled the hood tighter over her head, the cold breeze nipping at her cheeks. It had taken her a few weeks to track down the young girl. She had instantly started looking once Zachery's body had been disposed of. She lived in a small village towards the border of the Dawn Court. The village was humble and welcoming, it made Arabella really appreciate her own court. Nyx had wanted to come with her but she worried that he'd be far too recognisable in her court, his darkness too obvious.

Arabella calmly wandered down the street, casually looking for the number that the girl resided in. Her heart was thumping loudly, this girl was carrying a very powerful baby, Arabella still wasn't sure what they were going to do about the baby, or the child.

House number 71. Arabella checked the street around her for anybody watching, before removing her hood. She didn't want to scare the child and approaching the door wearing a hood would make her look suspicious. Taking a deep breath she knocked on the door. Quiet shuffling was heard on the other side of the threshold before the door was only opened a mere inch.

"Hello", Arabella smiled kindly, "is this Bronwyn's house?"

The girl, who Arabella knew to be Bronwyn, looked her up and down.

"Who's asking?" She said sceptically.

"I'm your High Lady", Arabella answered in confusion, "may I come in?"

Bronwyn seemed to realise why she was here and swiftly opened the door.

"Zachery said I wouldn't need to see you until a few more months", Bronwyn muttered to herself as she led Arabella to the kitchen.

The girl had a slight baby-bump and even though she was young, there was a clear maturity about the way she held herself.

"Zachery is dead", Arabella said firmly, "shall we sit?"

Bronwyn seemed to pause at that information.

"Will I still get my money if he's gone? Potential death wasn't something I read in the contract", Bronwyn sat down at the small dining table.

Arabella examined the kitchen, clearly her weekly payments from Zachery had been put to use. In his memory, she was nothing but a fragile girl, but now she seemed stronger.

"Circumstances have changed", Arabella sighed as she sat across from Bronwyn, "I was not aware of this baby, it was a way for Zachery to trap me in our relationship, he wasn't a good guy".

"He was acting a little strange, he happily agreed to whatever terms and conditions I made up. He seemed desperate", Bronwyn grimaced.

"He was desperate", Arabella confirmed, "now, I know this will be weird but I have to take you to the Night Court".

"What?!"

"You'll be safe there, I'm friends with the High Lord and Lady. If anyone finds out about your existence we might have a war on our hands".

"Because of the baby?!" Bronwyn frowned down at her stomach, "am I still getting paid?"

"Yes, you'll still receive your weekly allowances", Arabella sighed, "you'll just be living in the Night Court under the protection of their most trusted soldiers".

"Once the baby's born, we will take it off your hands and you'll be free to do as you please", Arabella stated.

Bronwyn chewed on the inside of her cheek, "why the Night Court? What's wrong with here?"

"Bronwyn, there is a lot more I have to tell you, and it's going to be very shocking, but I can't say it here".

"Why not?"

"Your enemies are too close".

"My enemies?! I don't have enemies, I hardly have friends", Bronwyn crossed her arms.

"Yes, well, we aren't exactly sure if they are enemies as such, but I wouldn't say they have your best interests at heart", Arabella frowned.

"And you do?" Bronwyn narrowed her gaze, "no offence, High Lady, but I don't know you, and my feelings towards power-figures isn't warm and fuzzy".

"I understand you've been dealt a hard hand in life".

Bronwyn scoffed, "that's an understatement. I had to get pregnant to survive, and I fucking hate kids".

"Please, let me take you to the Night Court and I can explain everything there", Arabella reached out her hand, mentally preparing to winnow.

Bronwyn sighed, knowing she was far better off with the High Lady then on her own in her lonely house.

"Fine, but I want to know everything".

Bronwyn grabbed Arabella's hand and then they winnowed.
They appeared on the balcony of the House of Wind, Arabella helped the girl steady herself before Rhys and Feyre appeared in front of them. Rhysand's eyes watched Bronwyn carefully, it had taken him some convincing to let a stranger into his home, especially since Feyre had only given birth a few days ago. Feyre, however, was always welcoming and smacked Rhys every time he suggested not letting Bronwyn stay.

"You must be Bronwyn, I'm Feyre", she reached out a hand kindly for the girl to shake.

Bronwyn looked confused, she'd clearly never winnowed before and now the High Lady of the Night Court wanted to shake her hand. Blinking back her surprise she took Feyre's hand in hers.

"It's a pleasure", Bronwyn muttered, her eyes flicking to Rhysand wearily.

"Don't worry about him", Feyre said glaring at Rhys pointedly, "he's just possessive".

The girl scoffed at those words but shook Rhys' hand when he presented it anyway. Nyx was quick to come bounding around the corner, his gaze falling from Arabella's to the slight baby bump Bronwyn had. He visibly gulped.

"I'm Nyx", he said brightly, shaking Bronwyn's hand, "you have my girlfriends child inside of you, that's weird".

"Nyx!" Arabella hissed.

Nyx shrugged, "it's true isn't it?"

Bronwyn just laughed it off but Arabella was ready to drag Nyx by the ear and tell him off for being so harsh.

"Now", Rhysand said, clapping his hands together, "shall we have the difficult conversation".

Arabella winced at the thought of what was coming and the expression remained on her face as Bronwyn looked back for support.

"What's the difficult part?" Bronwyn questioned, taking a step back in fear.

"The truth", Rhys smiled wickedly before he spun on his heel.

Feyre followed after him, whispering harshly in his ear but Arabella remained still as she noticed the fear grow in Bronwyn's eyes.

"I promise it's okay", Arabella whispered, "we aren't going to hurt you, we wouldn't do that".

She didn't seem fully convinced, but reluctantly she followed them towards the dining room.

A/N: hey! Sorry I've been MIA. Work has been kicking my ass, hoping to post more in the future.