Chapter 5

This is ridiculous, Arabella thought as she sat with Nyx in a library.

At lunch, Rhysand had the brilliant idea of making Nyx teach Arabella how to use her daemati abilities, since he was one too. Something about responsibility and being the heir to the Night Court. Arabella couldn't refuse, it would be rude. Nyx had put up a fight though, complaining that he was busy and had made plans with his friends. Rhysand had told him to reschedule his plans because Nyx would now be training Arabella's daemati abilities every day.

"Just enter my mind", Nyx said form his position on the couch.

They had been at it for an hour, Nyx's advice was always the same, just enter my mind.

Arabella scoffed, "it's not that simple".

Nyx sat up, crossing an ankle over his knee, "it is that simple. You're overthinking it".

Arabella scoffed again, "you're a pain in the ass, I wish I hit you harder in the ring".

Nyx flashed a wicked grin, "you could never hurt me, Belle".

Nyx seemed to delight in this back and forth. Arabella, however, was growing tired of his games.

"Trust me", Arabella said through gritted teeth, "I would love to hurt you".

Nyx swiftly swapped seats so he was sitting beside her, arm thrown over her shoulder carelessly. Arabella hated how he made her feel. She hated the fact her cheeks heated at the movement.

"How could you ever hurt this handsome face?"

She flicked him in the face, "it's quite simple really".

"As simple as this" he said into her mind.

"Get out of my head", Arabella said out loud, as she physically pushed him away.

Nyx listened and shuffled over so there was some distance between the two. Arabella sighed, she was getting nowhere with this, and she doubted she'd succeed on her first day.

"Can you show me Velaris?" She said spontaneously.

Nyx raised a brow, a gesture that reminded Arabella so much of Rhys.

"Skipping classes? I had no idea that the heir of the Dawn Court was so devious", he said sarcastically.

Arabella glared, "do you want to or not?"

Nyx grabbed her hand and pulled her up from the library couch, "I thought you'd never ask".

—————

Arabella adored Velaris. The beautiful smells of freshly cooked meat, and the sweet scent of the sea breeze tickled her nose as they walked down the streets. There were stalls along the streets, selling homemade jewellery and fresh produce, young fae rushed past kicking a ball between them. Arabella looked around at this wonderful place and suddenly left homesick.

"It's beautiful", she said to Nyx.

Nyx was already looking at her and smiled softly.

"Indeed it is".

Arabella continued looking around and subconsciously she began comparing it to the Dawn Court. They had the same sense of community, yet the fae didn't gape at either Nyx or Arabella, they simply nodded their heads and went about their business. Both courts seemed to be full of happy, smiling faces.

"Except your court doesn't have Rita's", Nyx said into her ear, his hot breath tickling her neck.

Arabella involuntarily shivered, yet she turned to glare at Nyx, "get out of my head".

He shrugged, "I can't help it when you think so loud".

Arabella playfully shoved him, "I don't think loud".

"Yes you do", Nyx said smirking, "it's almost as loud as your snoring".

Arabella gaped, "I don't snore! You must be hearing yourself".

Nyx chuckled, "you kept me up all night. Next time you have plans of depriving me of sleep, make it a little more fun", he said suggestively.

Arabella blushed but turned it into a glare, "you're disgusting".

Nyx swung an arm over her shoulder, "no, I'm honest".

Arabella pushed his arm away, "enough of your nonsense. Tell me about these friends I'm depriving you from".

She wasn't sure what sparked her question but she needed to change the subject, for her own sanity.

"Rex and Leon are the two biggest idiots you'll ever meet", Nyx said taking the subject change in his stride, "both of them live in the Illyrian camps, both of them delight in beating me up".

"So we'd be fast friends?" Arabella said smiling.

Nyx barked a laugh, "unfortunately for me, you would".

"Good. I can't wait to meet them", Arabella said smirking.

Nyx seemed to shiver at the thought, "I'd have to tell Rex to hold his tongue when you meet him, if you thought I said disgusting things you should meet him. He has no filter".

Arabella laughed, "how did you meet them?"

"Dad sent me to the Illyrian camps to train when I was younger, Rex immediately wanted the glory of beating the High Lords son, Leon was an outcast, he has the green skin of his mother and the wings of his father, a sure way to get bullied in the Illyrian camps is to be different", Nyx said.

"I thought the camps got better".

Nyx shrugged, "they did, clipping wings is a long forgotten old tradition, but bullying happens no matter where you go".

Arabella and Nyx were getting closer to the estate, she could see it in the distance.

"How often do you visit them?" She asked.

"As often as I can, they're going to be my seconds one day, just like Amren and Mor are to dad", Nyx said smiling at the thought.

"Do they visit Velaris often?"

"It's hard to leave the Illyrian camps", Nyx said, "they are basically training all day, they sometimes visit in the holidays".

"Well, Winter Solstice is coming up. Maybe I can meet them then?" She asked cautiously.

Nyx smiled down at her, something sparkled in his eyes but Arabella couldn't make out what it was before it was gone.

"I'd love that", he said.