Chapter 3

Arabella finished packing her stuff. A Dawn Court fighting uniform, several of her favoured daggers and anything else she thought she might need while away. Zipping up her bag and slinging it over her shoulder, Arabella was ready. At least that's what she told herself. No matter how much confidence she had, the knot twisting in her stomach said otherwise. There was no real logical reason that she should be nervous, it didn't make sense.

Arabella descended the staircase to the main entrance. She'd be flying to the edge of the Day Court where Rhysand would meet her, it wasn't far away, she'd probably be there in a few hours. The nerves increased with each passing minute.

"Are you excited?" Torin asked.

Arabella could see the excitement on her father's face. Mainly because she'd be training with the Illyrians and she knew Torin would have a thousand questions for when she returned.

Arabella shrugged in response to her father. She was excited but also petrified that she'd be a failure at her daemati abilities.

Thesan gave her a hug. He always was the most emotional out of her fathers.

"Be safe. Let me know if you need anything", Thesan said squeezing her tight.

"I will miss you both", Arabella said squeezing her dad in equal tightness.

Torin then wrapped his arms around the both of them.

"Don't get into too much trouble", he said, a slight seriousness lacing his tone.

Arabella would still be representing her court while she was away, which meant she was expected to be on her best behaviour.

"I won't", she said.

Finally her dads let go, Arabella ruffled her wings, ready to fly. Saying one last goodbye, Arabella made her way outside onto the entrance steps.

"See you in six months", she said smiling.

Then she took to the sky. Arabella always found flying to be the most peaceful activity you can do. The wind in her hair, the landscape ahead. It was perfect. She loved her wings, since she was half-peregryn and half-fae she could make her wings disappear and reappear when she chooses, most of the time she preferred to have them out. Her wings were somewhat of a comfort.

But she was still nervous. She was going to the High Lord of the Night Courts home. There was no protocol on how to act in that situation. Rhysand and Feyre were kind, Arabella had no doubt they would treat her nicely. It was just Nyx that bothered her. He was so arrogant and childish, despite their age. Everything he said really got to her, no matter how much she pretended it didn't. It seemed he had an ability to making her feel things.

Arabella would miss her parents. She was so used to them being around, sitting with them for breakfast, she was almost certain she would feel homesick without them. Arabella was very proud of her parents, Thesan and Torin had endured so much, especially when they came out as gay to the court. Many people hated them for it. Most were so sure that the Dawn Court's rule would come to an end, since at the time their was no way they could have an heir. At least not a biological one that would have their powers and the title to rule. But Thesan was determined to have a kid of their own. So he drowned himself in research and books, finding a way that him and Torin could have a kid of their own. And he did. After they found a willing surrogate, they combined their DNA and then Arabella was born. Arabella means "beautiful lion", a show of both beauty and courage. Torin had chosen it.

In the distance Arabella could see the border of the Day Court and Night Court. The border was mainly rough mountains and snow, from what Arabella knew, most of the Night Court was surrounded by mountains. The trip to the border had been quick, Peregryn wings were thicker and bigger than that of an Illyrians which meant she could travel faster and use less energy. Arabella swooped down, adjusting the bag she had been awkwardly carrying all flight. Then she landed gracefully, right in front of Rhysand and his Commander whom she had spotted from the sky.