Chapter 14

Nyx was sitting next to his father at the lunch table, moments after he and Arabella were all over each other. He was fiddling with the ring on his finger, twisting it around to distract himself. Arabella was sitting across from him eating her lunch as if they hadn't of been mere minutes from having sex in his bedroom.

Nyx's heart had both skipped a beat and shattered when Arabella asked to be friends with benefits. He wanted more, he wanted so much more of her than just her body, but he would settle for this, only if it meant being close to her. He hated himself for saying yes, but if he had said no, he was sure Arabella would turn away and never speak to him again. The other downfall about saying yes, is that now the mating bond was screaming at him. It wanted him to ravish her and protect her with his life. He didn't even realise he was tapping his foot until Azriel kicked him under the table.

Nyx sent a glare his way, but Azriel pretended to ignore him. He'd have to deal with Azriel later, there was only so much the shadowsinger would keep secret for him.

Nyx was glad everyone else was still hungover. Nobody looked twice at his jittery movements and stare that was stuck on Arabella. Cassian hadn't even arrived at lunch, probably looking after Nesta, his mother was nursing a headache over a warm cup of tea. His dad seemed to be almost fully recovered, still groggy but not as bad as his mother.

"Will I be practicing my winnowing today?" Arabella asked Rhys.

Nyx didn't realise how quiet the table was until she spoke. And gods her voice, Nyx would do murderous things to have her say his name again.

Rhysand shook his head, "not today. Tomorrow we will".

Arabella nodded and returned to her food, glancing once at Nyx. He began tapping his foot again. He was impatient to see her, to hold her, to kiss her. He was so utterly whipped and he knew it.

Azriel kicked him again, "stop tapping your foot", he hissed, "you'll make me go mad".

Nyx sighed, "sorry Uncle Az", he mocked.

Azriel glared but returned to his food. Nyx really needed to do some fighting right now, he needed to use his old trick of getting punched in the face to get these thoughts of Arabella to leave him. But Cassian wasn't going to do it, he was too hungover, and Azriel was never the one who'd punch him in the face.

"Cauldron sake, Nyx!" His mother said, "why are you so anxious?!"

Nyx had been tapping his finger on the table. He immediately put his hands under the table at his mothers grumpy voice.

"Sorry", Nyx winced, "I might go for a fly".

"That sounds like a good idea", Feyre said returning to her tea as Nyx stood up.

Nyx wandered out to the backyard where he often took off for his flying. The garden hasn't been the same since Aunty Elain moved away. His mother had done her best to keep it going, she even hired a gardener, but it never had the same personalised love that it did when Elain did it.

Nyx stretched his wings wide. It's been a little while since they've been out. The cold air bit at his face and arms. Winter was most certainly coming.

"Where are you going?"

Nyx jumped at Arabella's voice. She was still in those lilac pyjamas that she had worn this morning. Nyx felt privileged to be able to touch her like he did, especially when she wore those.

"I don't really go anywhere", he said, tucking his wings in tight at the cold, "I just fly around until I get bored, then I come back".

"We could go to the library", Arabella shrugged.

"We'd be at least two hours early for our lesson", Nyx said crossing his arms and raising a brow.

"I can think of a few ways we could pass the time", she said stepping forward, and admiring his wings.

Nyx growled involuntarily, "such a dirty mind".

She blushed and reached out to touch his wings, Nyx knew she had done it out of curiosity but he still grabbed her wrist to stop her.

He tutted, "that's not a good idea. Certainly not here".

She blushed a deeper red and withdrew her hand.

"So are Peregryn wings like Illyrian wings?" He asked remembering the question she had punched him for a few weeks ago.

"Yes and no", she replied vaguely, still admiring his wings.

Nyx watched her as she circled him, admiring the purple and membraneous texture of his wings.

"Our wings are thicker and in order to get the reaction you are alluding to...", She averted her eyes as if embarrassed, "...you have to be a lot rougher".

Nyx smirked, "so you like it rough?" He said and delighted in watching her blush, "I'll add it to my list".

Arabella huffed, and stepped away slightly from Nyx, as if to avoid getting too close.

"Show me them", Nyx said spontaneously.

"Huh?"

"Show me your wings. I want to see them", he said softly.

Arabella straightened herself before making them appear. They were far more gorgeous than the rough texture of his wings. The feathers seemed soft and he had a strong urge to reach out and touch them. She looked so angelic and wonderful, Nyx would bow to her, a queen, she looked like a queen.

"They are beautiful", he said in amazement.

"They're okay", she deflected.

He smiled at her before it turned into a smirk.

"Race you to the library?" He said taking off, not waiting for her response.

He heard Arabella behind him and that she cursed something about being in her pyjamas still. Nevertheless, she caught up to him faster than he thought she would. Nyx knew he would not win the race, Peregryn wings were far greater than an Illyrians but that wouldn't stop him from trying.