Chapter 19

Nyx had become a shell of who he once was. Having no idea what went on at home, Leon could only guess that something had happened with Arabella, especially after the recent outburst in the cafeteria. Nyx had done nothing but mope since he returned, he trained and he ate but he'd never smiled or laughed with Rex and Leon.
It was terrible seeing him this way. It tore at Leon's heart to watch him waste away.

As he approached the training ring, the ground squelched with mud. Leon could hear Nyx before he saw him, he recognised the familiar sounds of fighting and saw the growing crowd. Nyx fought everyone in the camp, claiming he'd give them hundreds if they could beat him. Nobody ever did. The allure of money, however, brought in many spectators and many frequent attempters.

Leon pushed through the crowd of Illyrian brutes just in time to see Nyx punch an Illyrian male unconscious. Nyx was bleeding from the side of his head and his nose looked like it had broken again. As the male collapsed, Nyx washed his mouth out with water, preparing to go again.

Leon had seen enough of this. It was bullshit. Nyx was acting childish and Rex wouldn't contain him, he loved the fighting too much.

Leon scrambled into the ring as some bystanders dragged out the unconscious Illyrian. Nyx only rolled his eyes as Leon shouted at the crowd.

"THE SHOW IS OVER! GO HOME IDIOTS!"

The crowd grumbled but reluctantly left as Leon glared them down. He may be considered "different" among the Illyrians but he could be just as scary.

"Go away Leon. I don't need you interfering", Nyx muttered as he pressed a wet cloth to the side of his head.

It was Leon's turn to roll his eyes, "oh because you seem in such a mentally stable place right now".

Nyx didn't say anything, only continuing to clean up his wounds. Idiot. He was such an idiot.

"I can read your thoughts, dumbass".

"Good", Leon scoffed, "maybe you'll see how fucking disappointed I am".

Nyx grumbled, "just give me your lecture so I can go about my business".

Arrogant prick. Selfish bastard. Leon stomped up to where Nyx was standing and before he could see it coming, Leon slapped Nyx across the face.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" Nyx hissed at the pain.

"What's wrong with me?!" Leon yelled, "what's wrong with you!!??"

Nyx didn't say anything but Leon could see he was struggling to maintain his cold exterior.

"How many slaps, how many punches, kicks, and broken noses is it going to take before you realise your friends are standing right here?!!" Leon huffed, "we are your friends. We want to help you. Stop putting yourself through so much pain when you could just talk to us!"

Nyx sighed, his cold exterior deflating, "you wouldn't understand".

"Help me understand".

Nyx ran a hand through his hair, looking up at the sky before taking a deep breath. It was only then that Leon realised Nyx's eyes were glassy.

"Arabella is my mate, and my father has forbidden me from seeing her".

"But she's your mate", Leon said slightly confused, "shouldn't he understand".

Nyx shrugged helplessly, "that's what I thought too".

Leon sighed, turning over this new piece of information in his mind.

"Does she know you're mates?"

Nyx shook his head, grimacing.

Leon sighed, "maybe that's where you should start. No point beating yourself up if you might be able to work around your father's rules".

                                     —————

Rhysand adjusted the cuff links of his suit. The sun shone down on him, making him squint into the distance at the approaching figure. He had been masking his scent for the last few days because you could smell it on him, the guilt. Feyre noticed it immediately and forced him to confess. He had hoped he was wrong, that the rumours were a lie, but they weren't and the evidence was approaching over the hill.

He couldn't tell anyone. Only Feyre knew the truth. He had damned his son. To a life of pain, of torment. He was terrible father, that was the truth. He couldn't do anything to help his son, expect for separating them.

"High Lord, Rhysand", the feathery general bowed.

"High Lord, Torin".

Rhys kept his responses short and clipped. There would be no kindness in his eyes when he looked upon this male. He'd damned them all.

"I'm assuming everything is under control".

Rhysand nodded once, "Arabella and Nyx have been separated".

Rhysand supposed that Torin wasn't really the villain, but he'd certainly played a part in both his daughters demise and Nyx's.

"Rhysand, I'm sure you know I wish it didn't have to be this way. I want her to be happy and in an ideal world it would be with your son, however-"

"-she has been promised to another. We don't need to have this conversation every time we meet".

Torin frowned, "you haven't told Thesan, have you?"

"No".

"Good", Torin sighed.

The sun was setting on the Day Court and Rhysand really wanted to go home, but Torin seemed on edge.

"I am sorry, Rhys, for what it's worth".

"It's Rhysand to you".

Torin frowned and Rhys watched as he resisted the urge to glare.

"Zachery will take good care of her".

Rhysand didn't care about Arabella. No offence to her, but more importantly his son would suffer because of Torin's mistake. Mates being separated was a dangerous thing, especially when they had formed a connection. He was a terrible father, but Torin was worse.