Chapter 9: Real Life Juliet

Leo had finally decided to take the role for Romeo + Juliet, but now he offered for both Cecilia and I to try out for Juliet. I was a wreck as I waited in the seats with the director and other workers for the movie. My sister was currently taking the stage, and I couldn't believe how well she was doing. She was so powerful and enunciated her words so perfectly. I held my breath when it came to a spot when she was meant to kiss Leo, who was acting alongside her. She just pecked his cheek though close to his lips, purposely trying not to kiss him for real in front of me.

"Cut! What was that? We need a real kiss," exclaimed the director. "Try the scene again."

"I'm sorry," Cecilia mouthed to me before just leaving the stage.

"I said to try it again. We haven't rejected you." The director assumed she got the wrong message.

"I'm dropping out of my audition. I think either Hattie should get the part if it's anyone. She's really talented."

"Okay, Hattie, you can go ahead and do your audition." He sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose, obviously tired from a long day.

I stood before Leo as he leaned in to whisper something to me. "Don't be afraid to kiss me. Trust me, the director hasn't found a girl that isn't just trying to gaze at the stars gracefully."

I barely nodded before we were called to action, us doing the famous lines of when Romeo and Juliet first meet and also kiss.

"If I profane with my unworthiest hand this holy shrine, the gentle sin is this. My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand to smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss," Leo said, his voice pulling me under Romeo's spell.

"Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much, which mannerly devotion shows in this. For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch, and palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss," I quoted from heart, since I had memorized my lines.

"Have not saints lips, and holy palmers, too?"

"Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer." I kept a subtle smile on my face as we kept going through the script.

"Well, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do. They pray, grant thou, lest faith turn to despair."

"Saints do not move, though grant for prayers' sake."

"Then move not, while my prayer's effect I take," Leo spoke, me bracing myself for the kiss that was set to happen next. He initiated it first as his soft lips pressed against mine. I had missed this feeling, but there was a spark of something stronger than when we were first acquaintances. We were gradually becoming friends now, which changed everything. I loved how he touched my back, causing shivers to hit me full force, but I kept my composure somehow. "Thus from my lips, by thine, my sin is purged."

"Then have my lips the sin that they have took," I managed to ask, still a bit light headed.

"Sin from my lips? O trespass sweetly urged! Give me my sin again." Our eye contact was continuous in this scene as I drowned in his ocean eyes. Another sweet kiss and my lips tingled as they formed the next words.

"You kiss by the book."

I died and went to heaven when Leo placed his mouth near my ear, pretending to kiss it, but instead whispering advice. "Kiss me now. Don't hold back..." We acted as though we were running from a fake elevator before darting back inside, me finding Leo's lips as we kissed more intimately this time. My hand ran down his arm as I swore I felt goosebumps on his bare skin, his hands resting on my lower back as I seared from his touch. Our tongues actually came into play as we kept it classy looking, the feeling the most tantalizing one I had ever experienced. I didn't want to pull away, but I forced myself as we pretended I was being whisked away.