Chapter 13: What Are You Trying to Say, Leo

I dreaded doing this big scene, lying as still as possible as I pretended to be dead. I could vaguely hear Leo's footsteps as he went across the long aisle. I carefully listened to his lines, twitching my eyelids ever so slightly as I got closer to waking up. When my eyes finally opened a delicate smile painted my lips as Leo held the small vile in his fingers. My hand was just gradually raising to touch his face with the back of it. His eyes widened as he stared at me, instantly gripping my hand as he looked horrified. I would have thought he truly did drink poison by how good his acting was, tears already formed in his blue orbs.

"Romeo," I said as he lied beside me, shaking from the effects of the poison. He was struggling to breathe as I found the tiny container in his hand, my own face turning distraught as real tears came to life.

"What's here? Drunk all, and left no friendly drop to help me after," I questioned, Leo still quivering as I felt a horrible pain in my body. This was just all too realistic, but I had to push myself to keep going. I whispered before kissing his lips gently, my palm against his cheek as he stared up at me. He was breathing his final words as his eyes barely blinked, and I didn't even realize at first that he had officially died for the scene. It wasn't until his head turned, a tear still trickling down his cheek with his blank gaze that it dawned on me. I couldn't help but gaze down at him, fighting every impulse to let myself go too soon. When it happened though the tears flowed freely, and I looked around before finding the gun. I held it up to my head to pretend I was going to kill myself, falling against Leo's side after that moment. We both just lied there together, completely stiff until the director yelled, "Cut!" I squeezed my eyes shut as I just shakily walked off the set, everyone staring at me.

"Are you okay," Paul checked since he had jogged after me.

"I'm fine," I lied, leaving him to meet Leo who had just hurried into view. "Goodness, Leo. I'm glad that you're okay," I cried, throwing my arms around him as I sobbed.

"Of course I'm okay. Did you think I wasn't," he gently asked.

"No, I knew you were, but it was all so real. We don't have to do that scene again, do we? I can't bear to see you die again. I just felt everything and it was the worst feeling I ever had."

"Sh...," he whispered, holding me close as he rubbed my back to calm me. "I don't think Baz will have us do it again. I don't think I could do it that good again." A light chuckle fell from his lips as he attempted to lighten the mood.

"That hurt so much. I mean, I thought I felt bad enough when I threatened suicide in my scene yesterday, but today... Please look at me. I need to see the light in your blue eyes." I almost laughed from nerves as I held his face in my hands, him purposely dancing his eyes between mine.

"It's all over now, Hattie, okay? I'm never going to leave you." He brought me into his embrace again as I finally noticed Paul standing to the side like a third wheel.

"I'm sorry, Paul. I just... I needed to talk to Leo to feel better," I told him.

"It's okay. I get it," Paul claimed, but I had a feeling he wasn't talking about the same thing.

"What do you mean you get it," I asked after leaving Leo down the hallway Paul turned at.

"You and Leo are more than friends. I can just see it when you look at each other. You don't have to apologize for anything. All we had was a casual date, and I would rather know now than when it got farther."

"But I don't like Leo more than a friend. I mean, at first I did when we met, but he's always giving me these mixed signals. I like how I don't have to worry about that with you."

"You know, I would be willing to give us a try."

"Then let's try," I stated.

Eventually Cecilia came for her visit with Tobey, and I had been dating Paul for a few weeks now. Leo had been acting distant from me though, and it felt like our connection was weakening.