Lovers, Fighters, and Military Brats

Note: Hey, thanks for all the incredible comments last week, I didn't stop smiling all the way through :) You all are amazing!

Okay, beauties, now listen up because this week, we'll be seeing a very VERY important day :)

I'm slightly early, but:

Happy 18th birthday to my girl, @Musicpotterhead !!!  Ad, tu es mon bordel preferée. Je t'aime 💜et ce chapitre est à toi.

Anna is seventeen .

Lovers, Fighters, and Military Brats

"Hey."

Anna glanced up from her laptop to see a girl in a leather jacket and red top standing in front of her. "Hey...?" she said, then looked around to make sure there was nobody else this girl might be talking to. "Have we met? I don't think I know you."

"Uh... no. I'm new here," the girl replied. She shifted her feet, clearly uncomfortable, though her expression made her appear calm. "I just, you know, I heard you talking earlier with Ethan, and he was in my first class this morning. He's funny, and you're funny. I just... I guess I just like your vibe."

Anna let a tiny smile creep onto her face. "I have a vibe?" she asked almost mischievously. "I mean, I guess, everyone has a vibe." And she liked this kid's vibe. "Tell me mine and I'll tell you yours," she bargained.

Then she gestured to the chair across from her. It wasn't like her, really, letting some random kid sit with her and strike up conversation. But she would have taken just about any excuse she could find to set aside her history paper for a few minutes.

Anyway, there was something about this girl... She felt almost familiar, but not in a déjà vu kind of way, just in a you would fit perfectly into this empty spot in my life kind of way.

The girl sat down and pulled her bag off her shoulder to set it on the floor. She tucked it against the side of her chair and slid one foot to rest protectively against it.

Anna knew paranoia when she saw it, and the thought that this chick might have something to hide suddenly made her feel guarded herself. They didn't get a lot of new kids in Lebanon. Hell, Anna was pretty sure she'd been the most recent arrival up until today. And she'd moved here with the boys about four years ago.

The sudden appearance of a new girl who felt oddly familiar... It was enough to make Anna wary now that she was thinking like a hunter instead of a teenager.

"Your vibe..." the girl trailed off. She propped her elbows on the table and scrutinized Anna's face.

The move made Anna itch. She didn't like attention, especially from people she didn't know. But, hey, she'd asked a question, so she had to wait out the answer.

"It's, like, cynical, apathetic, and hyperactive all rolled into one."

"Wow," Anna said, leaning her head back and raising her eyebrows. "That's... like, weirdly accurate. I'm a little freaked out by that."

The girl grinned and leaned back in her chair. "It's a gift," she said. "I'm Alex."

"Anna."

"What's my vibe?"

Anna was the one to lean forward this time, and she squinted at Alex. She already knew what to say, but she wanted to take this opportunity to look for secrets.

Alex had blue eyes, and they were deep, but they didn't give away any hidden truths. There were bags under her eyes, and even sitting back as she was, her posture didn't read as relaxed. Alex wasn't a normal kid. And if she was a hunter or even just came from a rough background, Anna could understand that. But if she was a monster– a vampire, a demon, a spirit, even– that was going to be a whole different ball game.