Control Is a Precious Commodity (Part II)

Note: and I return with more story <3  Kinda awesome that wattpad now lets you schedule updates, how long has that been a thing???

thanks for reading and commenting and all that good stuff <3

Control Is a Precious Commodity (Part II)

Anna watches with dazed fascination as her fingers wrap around her phone. The light spitting out from underneath her phone's camera lens is weak and hued blue. It barely makes a dent in the overwhelming darkness of the alley.

It's something like dissociation. More intense, though, and impossible to break. There's a firm wall where dissociation leaves a fuzzy film. Instead of static, it's fucking brick.

And it's strange. So strange and unnatural, the second presence in her own body– hell, in her own head, her brain, her thoughts. God, her mother died like this. It would probably be karma for Anna to go the same way.

There's a sick osmotic quality to the way the demon in her head can breach the wall it's put up. Because Anna can't get a grip on the damn demon. She can't even think clearly enough to consider breaking down the barrier. But the demon is flipping through her every thought and memory like a friggin skin mag.

It's... Well, it's violating.

She can't keep up. She's in her car in what seems like seconds. The key is turning– or she's turning it– and the radio is refusing to cooperate.

"My bad." Anna would shudder if she had the capacity. That's her voice. But it doesn't belong to her.

Something loud starts to play through the car speakers, something Anna doesn't recognize. It's rhythm is bright, and the notes seem to pop. It's not a genre Anna would play in her car. It's not something she's ever listened to, not even at Kate or Ethan's houses.

But she's singing along. She feels the words in her throat. The vibration from her own vocal chords is rattling.

()()()

They let Anna pass.

Cas is breathing heavily, standing over the corpses of three demons with a bloody angel blade in his right hand. And he's focused entirely on this fact: They let Anna pass.

Three demons, and they all waited for Anna to run by before they jumped Castiel.

He knows before he even catches his breath that this was a calculated attack. He doesn't waste another second running toward the alley Anna disappeared into a few minutes ago. He's sure, though, that he'll be too late. It took too long to fight those demons off.

Whatever they wanted with Anna, they've surely already-

The alley is empty.

Anna's not lying there dead, which is a mercy in itself.

But she's not anywhere in sight either, which is quite the opposite of mercy.

He looks around with his heart racing. "Anna," he calls. The low octave of his voice doesn't make it sound any bigger when it's being swallowed by so much empty space.

It's the corpse of a young woman coated in blood that tells him for sure. This whole thing was a trap.

His phone rings, effectively fragmenting the thin veil of silence around him. Cas often forgets he's carrying the device on him until it comes to life. He should have checked earlier whether he could get service. Anna was struggling with it as he recalls. He wonders now if that was the work of the demons.

"Hello," he answers stoically. He's expecting Dean to answer, maybe Sam. He's surprised to hear Mary Winchester's voice instead.

"Castiel?" she asks mildly. "You're not at the bunker."