Some Memories Live in Our Blood

Note: Hey, babes. I'm posting early because I feel guilty for last week and because I have a long day tomorrow. I refuse to miss another weekend!

Honestly, though, thank you so much for your patience and support. I've been dealing with a lot of exhaustion and weakness lately. It's been difficult to even move or get out of bed some days, which, of course, makes it hard to write. It means a lot that you care about my health <33 I hope you all are doing well!

Fair warning, I've been watching way too much Criminal Minds. So... yeah... enjoy the unexpected (even to me) surprise in the middle of this story.

TRIGGER WARNING: this chapter contains sexual assault and flashbacks. 

Also, this was requested by @gkjnrtg. I think this is slightly off from what you were imagining, but it contains plenty of protective Dean. Like... scary protective. So, I hope you like it! You're a sweetheart, and I love reading your comments so much.

Anna is seventeen.

Some Memories Live in Our Blood

It was cold outside, but not so cold that it could worm its way under her skin. It was just cool enough that the air seemed to spread like fog along her arms and legs. She inhaled sharply again and again, each time letting the breath out in pants. Her fingers spread over her knees, pale with the chilly air.

"One more," Dean shouted at her from across the track. He seemed so far away, and she had to run back to him. Right now. "Come on!"

Anna turned her eyes fiercely upward and straightened her spine. Her legs were nearly numb with the effort of running nonstop for the last twenty minutes. But she didn't waste time thinking of that. Dean had taught her a lot of tricks for endurance. Her favorite one? Distraction. You focus on one thing, whatever that may be, and you don't let your mind wander from it. You chase away every other thought, because your life might depend on it.

It was hard to find that focus when you were hurt or exhausted. But it wasn't so hard keeping it. And it worked.

Anna jumped her first hurdle. Her eyes were on the track, but her mind was with the scent of the air. It was going to storm tonight, and she could feel it like a miniature crack of thunder inside her lungs.

Hurdle number two, and she felt the force of her feet against the ground. It was lightning in her veins, itching its way from her heels to her hips. She would correct that. She would stick the next landing better. The air smelled clean and thick. The rain would start sooner than the weatherman had predicted.

Hurdle number three. She was nimble this time as she landed and kept going. She smelled sweat and maybe rubber. But mostly she smelled Kansas. The native plant life spread along the edges of the track and the oncoming storm in the sky.

Hurdle number four. Just one more, and she could run freely to the end of the track. Through the cool air and its tide of natural aromas.

Hurdle number five. Her ankles buzzed when they hit the ground. She'd been too eager. The air whipped her ponytail back and forth and trapped itself in her ears as she ran.

She was so close now. Dean was just another few yards away. And then a few steps. And then she was standing still again, but the world was rocking back and forth. She pressed her palms against her knees and doubled over, feeling dry air strain against the walls of her lungs.

"That was good," Dean told her and crouched in front of her so she could see him while she caught her breath. "Here."

Anna was quick to accept the water bottle he held out. She didn't bother with words, just threw her head back and took a few sips. She had a sensitive stomach when she was exercising. Too much water always made her throw up.