The Monster Resembling You

Note: Okay so it's been a MINUTE. By that I mean two weeks (as expected). Thanks for commenting, voting, and sticking around. It's really uplifting to see how kind all of you are! 

It's 2am AKA posting time, so here's a new chapter.

I'm sorry to have skipped a week, but I think this chapter would not have come out the same way if I'd forced myself to write it last week, so hopefully you all think it was worth the wait. 

This chapter was a request from writingmina, who wanted to see Demon Dean. This very (VERY) loosely follows the first few episodes of season ten, but I didn't even look at the transcripts or rewatch the episodes before writing it, so it's not closely tied to the show at all. A lot of events from the episodes are hinted at, and you can infer what about them is different/the same as in the show. I thought long and hard about the dynamics for this chapter, and I feel like I made the right call on this stuff. But let me know what you think/if things in the chapter go how you would have expected them to.

@Musicpotterhead made another drawing today!!! And it's going with this chapter <3 Go ahead, tell her how awesome she is.

Without further ado, Anna is fifteen.

The Monster Resembling You

She bounced her foot all through first period. Today was the day. The boys were headed out to face Metatron. She'd had to coerce that information out of them and then her million pleas and arguments that she ought to go with them were met with steadfast refusals. Even when she thought she was making a pretty persuasive argument, she just got unimpressed looks and orders to get ready for school.

Knowing they were out there was hard enough. But what really haunted her, what had her bouncing her foot so energetically she nearly hit her knee on the bottom of her desk, what had her eyes flicking frantically and distractedly from the English paper she should be peer reviewing to the white board to the clock to that poster on the wall that said Let's eat Grandma! Let's eat, Grandma! Punctuation saves lives-- What really haunted her, was the way Dean had grabbed her up in a tight hug before they piled into the car this morning, the way he'd told her to be safe and mind Cas while they were gone, the way his eyes had looked when he let her go and placed a hand on the side of her face for a minute before finally patting her once on the head and getting in the car. It had felt so strangely emotional considering they were supposed to be just going to take down Metatron.

They'd told her they had a plan, that things would go according to that plan, that this was a sure thing. It wouldn't be the first time they'd lied to make her feel better. And after that bone-crushing hug, Anna wondered. She worried. What the hell were they risking today while she sat in an English classroom and read a grammar poster again and again and again?

In second period, she texted Kate under the desk for half an hour, relaying her terror over what she referred to as simply a dangerous hunt.

In third period, she felt ready to bang her head off the wall repeatedly. She thought about ditching and finding a way home so she could at least see Cas. Then again, he had a job to do before he would be at the bunker waiting for her. Really, it was a matter of biting her nails in school or at home, and at least at school there were minor distractions. Math problems, Mila's latest drama, and Kate's supportive company.

After lunch, she walked to fourth period with her hands shaking, cold, and clammy. She just knew. She just knew.

In fourth period, she was called to the office. Acid burned up her throat. Her legs wobbled like a newborn calf trying to stand to drink that first meal. But she was walking through her final moments of ignorance. She would know soon. But she already knew, really. The hug had told her.