Aster

Note: hey my sweets <3 i hope you haven't forgotten how awesome you are

this chapter is for  @doesntknowwhyshehere who wanted to see the aftermath of "Next." i hope this is satisfying, and i truly appreciate your patience. (i'm kinda bad at getting requests done in a reasonable amount of time ) you're a pretty cool human, and i appreciate you

anna is seven

Aster

Anna glanced down to her lap for the tenth time. Halloween was still there, his leg still squished by the grip she had on him. She looked back up at the TV again to see Jerry laying a trap for Tom. Her eyelids felt heavy, but her heart was beating fast.

Restlessly, Anna glanced over her shoulder to see her brothers, both still sleeping. Maybe she could turn the volume on without waking them up. She would just have to keep it really low.

She was on her feet, partway to the TV, when she heard a noise from outside the room. A creaking sound was closely followed by a dull thud.

"Dean!" Anna screamed, running backwards away from the door and the windows. "Dean, there's something coming. It's gonna get me!" she said, already half-crying.

She launched herself onto his bed, and Dean was half-asleep as he grabbed her and pushed her behind him. Anna twisted her hands into the back of Dean's shirt as Sam sat up, knife in hand, in the other bed.

"What's going on?" he asked urgently, realizing at the same time as Dean that the room was empty.

Dean flicked his gun's safety on and looked tiredly over at Sam. This was becoming a familiar song and dance. Sam understood and closed his eyes with a sigh.

"Were you watching TV again?" Dean asked weakly and shrugged, trying to dislodge Anna from his shoulder. "C'mere," he requested, reaching back with one hand to gently take her arm. Anna went from an immovable statue to a bolt of lightning. She was curled in his lap the very next second, her arms tightly wrapped around his middle. "Rugrat, it's okay," Dean promised. "There's nothin' out there, Sweetheart. Let me show you."

Anna shook her head violently against his chest.

"It's okay," he said again. "But you know, you gotta get some sleep sometime, kiddo. You can't keep watchin' TV all night."

Anna peeked up at him with watery green eyes, and Dean's heart broke in two.

"Do you wanna sleep in my bed?" he offered.

"I can't sleep," Anna pleaded. Her small hands clenched and released repeatedly, as if Dean's t-shirt was going to somehow soothe her fears. "What if something gets in?"

"Nothing's gettin' in here," Dean told her, brushing her curly hair out of her eyes.

Sam sat up again on the other bed. "Tell you what," he offered gently. "I'll sit up with you for a while. You can watch TV for a while longer, and then it's time for bed." He slid out of bed and reached for her, and Anna went somewhat willingly. "That way Dean can sleep too," Sam said pointedly, and Dean gave him a nod of gratitude.

"Can you check the salt lines, please?" Anna asked, tugging carefully on Sam's hand. "Halloween's scared a ghost can come in."

Sam crouched in front of her, speaking quietly as Dean started to snore again. "You tell Halloween to stop worrying. As long as Dean and I are in here, you and the frog are both safe. Okay?"

"Okay," Anna said, sniffling just a little. She'd either really needed to hear that, or it hadn't been enough to comfort her. "But can you check them anyways?" she asked cautiously.