Meeting the Merchants

Group Pov

Rose's fist turned pale, she was clenching them so tightly. She listened to Freya's tragic story. Freya's face was blank, almost cold like she had become numb to the pain. but Rose knew all too well what putting up that wall was like. No amount of years can take this type of pain away. It was almost permanent, a hole cut deep inside you that can never be filled. She clenched her bow even tighter trying to force back her own memories from resurfacing. Rose quickly turned on her heels and began to storm off "those guys are gonna fucking pay" she muttered. Freya scoffed "oh please, what do you care?". Rose stopped and turned to face her again. She clenched and unclenched her teeth as again the memories threatened to creep back in. "Those sons of bitches work with the military. You're not the only one who has beef with those ass holes" She spat. Rose glanced at Delgan, silencing him before he could reveal their own stories. Freya may not pose as a current threat, but that didn't instantly make her a comrade either. A sudden flash of shock crossed Freya's face "how can I trust you're not just like them?" Freya retorted. Rose couldn't hold back the smirk on her lips as she spoke, "well we've all been in this room for more than five minutes and yet we're all still breathing... at the very least, we can call this a truce". Freya laughed "I suppose I can agree to this so-called truce" Rose turned again to walk away. she paused again at the entrance. barely a whisper Rose added, "we're gonna help you get your sister back, you have my word" and left. Delgan stared after her, his mouth agape. Rose had just made a deal with a devil.

As they walk back to the so-called merchants, Delgans mind began to think back to a time when he was in the military, but before he could think on it any further he could sense the seething rage radiating off of Rose. Careful as to not anger her further he coaxed, "questions first Rose, then we kill them. Ok?". Rose nodded but said nothing, her mind was reeling. "we just wanna talk to em, we just wanna talk to em" Rose chanted quietly to herself. She sheathed and unsheathed her dagger while gritting her teeth. Trying to cut the growing tension in the air, Delgan turned to Freya. "So Freya, how long have you been a bandit leader?" Freya turns her attention to Delgan "I stopped counting the years a while ago... let's just go with forever" Freya muttered "It's not as easy as it looks" she chuckles trying to not sound so somber "believe it or not I hate this life...I hate everything about it," Freya admitted. Rose side eyeing Freya's exclamation. "So why do it?" Rose pressed. Freya opened her mouth to answer but Rose preempted her. "I mean you joined because of the money right?". Hesitating to answer Freya speaks up, "I would do anything for family, even if it means destruction.. I promise I'd protect her and I meant it" Delgan and Rose exchange a look. Unbothered, Freya turned her gaze straight ahead and added, "I never said I was a good person... I just want my sister back" Freya finished. She gave a quick glance back at Rose before refocusing on the path in front of her. She had been honest. Freya didn't see herself as a good person, but it's far too late to feel bad about it now. She had come too far, and gone through too much. Rose admired Freya's dedication to her sister. It had been just her and Delgan for many years and she knew she would do the same for him. Whatever it took, even if it made her the bad guy in someone else's story. Rose took Fryea's unwavering focused face as confirmation that she was telling the truth and only nodded to herself. Delgan wanted to say something, but what could he say? If he was honest, he hardly ever knew what to say or do in situations like this, so he decided to refocus on the objective. The one thing he knew for sure was that those merchants would have to pay for what they were doing.

As the three drew near the clearing where the merchants were, Rose held up a halting hand. "Freya, stay hidden until our...chat" She scoffed before continuing "is over. We'll go in for a few questions first''. Freya looks dumbfounded "you're insane if you think I'm staying here while those assholes hold people captive" Freya laughs moving forward before being pulled back by Rose. Eyeing Freya up and down she continued "no offense but you practically scream bandit. Besides, it wouldn't make sense to leave with two bodies and come back with a third body... well one with its head still attached to it". "Fine but I hate this plan" Freya grumbles before they all nod. Freya was reluctant but hid within the nearby trees. Delgan and Rose waited until Freya disappeared before they approached the merchants.

The four men were lazily sprung about the caravans. When the head merchant spotted the hunters he jumped up from his seat into attention. Delgan spoke first. "So we cleared out the bandits as you wanted, but before we take off, I could go for a nibble of something. What kind of cargo are you carrying?". The head merchant had a tired look on his face and looked as if he wanted nothing more than to go home. "Oh, just some clothes and tools," he replied. Delgan raised his brow in interest. Rose spoke next. "Just clothes and tools? Mind if we take a look?". The head merchant looks Rose up and down before speaking. "Oh, there are quite a few things I'd let you look at sweet cheeks". Rose rolled her eyes but took it in stride as she always did. Delgan approaches the caravans and without warning pulls back its covers. Inside were nothing but clothes, tools, old silk cloth, and a variety of spices and junk. The merchants were surprised. "whoa there boy! You can't just go messing with my stuff now". A grin formed on Delgan's face. "Now that's no way to make a Sale" Delgan added, emphasizing the word 'sale'. The merchant cleared his throat. "A sale huh? is that what you are after?" One of them asked. Delgan nodded. The merchant searched Delgans face for a few silent moments. "Then why didn't you just say so!" The merchant replied. Delgan glanced at the second covered caravan. "Had to make sure you were the right guys" He added with another innocent grin. The merchant briefly looked around and lowered his voice, "boy, I'm just here to do some trading, I sell some things that might be useful to you" He pointed at the covered wagon. Delgan turned to look at the caravan again. Rose noted that the merchant's eyes shifted left and right and his hand crept to his waist where his weapon lay. She gripped her bow a little tighter. Delgan knew if the merchant was working with the military there was no doubt in his mind that the merchant was a seasoned fighter, so as he made his way to the caravan, he stayed on his guard. Slowly, Delgan uncovers the second covered wagon. Inside, he sees poor trembling people in shackles. They looked severely malnourished, some were beaten so badly their bones were twisted in directions that didn't seem natural. Delgan noticed a dome like magic shielding the inside that cancels out sounds. Most likely to hide the fact that they were indeed slavers. A man that looked just like a guard stood at the front of the wagon. He heavily stomped his way to the caravan entrance to keep a closer eye on Delgans movements. Rose eyed the merchants and fought the urge to show her disgust. In a calm voice, Delgan turned to face the head merchant again. "Care to explain this merchant? Just what kind of 'things' are you selling?". The merchant shifts uncomfortably in his seat.