Searching the Archives

Freya's Pov

      Placing the merchandise out for the villagers to buy, Freya makes her way around to stand beside the items. 'This is fucking ridiculous' she scoffs. "I'm not a child, I shouldn't be waiting around like one. I have to find the archives and find Syl.." she began listing before being interrupted. "Excuse me little girl, how many coins would this be?" Freya looks up to find a woman staring at her holding up a silk cloth. "I don't know now go away," Freya says annoyed at the fact this woman dares to interrupt her. The woman's jaw dropped in utter surprise. "What do you mean you don't know, aren't you supposed to know what kind of merchandise you are selling? Where are your parents? Let me speak to them" the woman demanded. "No" Freya answered, taken aback the woman scoffed "no? What do you mean no? This is no way to treat a customer" the woman placed her hands on her hips angrily looking Freya up and down as if to challenge her. Freya leans in close to the woman. "I swear to goddess if you don't take your stupid ass away from my 'merchandise' I will literally shove a tree branch down your throat" Freya threatened. As the ground began to shake the woman shrieked and ran away. A smile forms on Freya's lips satisfied with frightening the woman. "This is exactly why I stay away from the villages. I can't stand dumbass people asking stupid fucking questions" Freya grunts clearly annoyed. Looking into the crowd around the caravan she couldn't help but feel as if she was being watched. Searching the crowd her eyes caught sight of a man from afar. He was standing by what looked to be an old house and he appeared to have an amused look on his face as if he had seen her arguing with the women just moments ago. She could swear he was looking right at her, and the feeling of his eyes on her made her uneasy, as if something dark and sinister lay behind those eyes that were fixed on her, tempting her own darkness to come out.

      Chills of adrenaline ran through her body, 'losing control is a death sentence' echoed through her mind. "Don't let it control you." Freya reminded herself. She had the irrational fear to turn and run, but at the same time, she was pulled forward. She felt faint as if she'd pass out at any moment. Her eyes were straining so hard that she saw gray spots and her ears were ringing, desperately trying to calm down. "Frey.. help me" Sylvie's voice snaps her back to reality. Freya looked around to match a face to her sister's voice, but she was nowhere to be found. 'Sylvie wasn't actually there' Freya told herself. 'Your losing it, You're not actually hearing her, look around, She's not here' she scolded herself. And she was right, the only noise was the lingering voices of the villagers. Freya hated this. All this waiting and for what. What was taking Delgan and Rose so long? She was tired of waiting, she needed to do something, now. As if she spoke it allowed, a sudden glimpse of shadow caught her eye. She snapped her head to look at it. It was dark, but Freya could swear it was the silhouette of a man. His grin seemed to beam in the darkness, almost daring her to follow. Before she could call out to it, it dashed away. 'No more waiting' She thought as she threw caution to the wind and ran after it.

      It was as if she was being lured away. She went down a dark path turning left and right. It seemed like forever. She found herself in a dark room lit up with only candles. Barely able to see, Freya grabs a candle and looks up to see in big words 'Calbridge archives'. "how in the hell.." Freya whispers. Making her way towards the shelves, she moved boxes and dusty objects. Everything was old and covered in piles of dust. Some papers had pages of smudged notes or faded markings. "Come on!! Give me something damn it" Freya yells. Getting irritated, she pushed a stack of papers off the shelf. "Damn it Syl...where are you?" Freya pleaded to the darkness. She had been at this for a while and still hadn't found anything. Freya leaned against the wall. Looking all around, the mountains of files and boxes seemed to taunt her. So close and yet still so far. She slid down the wall suddenly feeling the weight of the endless journey pulling her down. She could feel the sadness rising in her chest, she tried to push it down, like she always did, but for some reason, it felt ten times harder to swallow. "Syl, I will find you" she swore. Searching the pages she threw on the floor, Freya looked for anything useful. Page after page were scribbles of notes written by a doctor. He mentioned a file on subjects being tested on the barriers. Taking a breath Freya got off the ground and searched for the file. Remembering where she knocked off the papers she scanned the papers still on the desk. She felt a hint of hope when she caught sight of a document labeled *DEATHHARNESS*. Freya snatches the paper. It was written by the same doctor five years ago. 

     "Subject 321: fueled by emotion, danger to others, irrational, impulsive, NEVER seen power like this before...it's magnificent" He wrote. Freya kept reading. WEEK ONE "subject refuses to eat or move" WEEK TWO "subject doesn't comply with demands" WEEK THREE "subject shows no sign of wanting to live, general Grey is tired of waiting Treatment 5 starts today". Freya could feel her hands begin to tremble as she continued to read. WEEK FIFTHTEEN "subject no longer resists treatment". Freya didn't want to even think about what this 'treatment' was. Her teeth grit at the thought of what she wanted to do to this doctor. Fighting the urge to go on a killing spree, Freya continued reading. "it's been a year since arrival... I'm starting to wonder if this is the right place for me.. I can't be apart of this... he's a monster...she's a monster...she'll kill everyone...I can't handle the torture anymore...we're doomed, we'll all burn in the flames of hell for what we've done here" He wrote. Freya finishes the document as tears streamed down her face. "Sylvie...my goddess what did they do". Freya turned the papers over hoping for more information but there wasn't much else to go on besides a written note and some smudged initials 'Subject 321's personal guard, M-' was all she could make out. Freya crumbled the note in anger and jumped into action. "I need to head back" was all she said before Freya gathered the crumbled new information. She decided to hold on to it just in case. She quickly packed her things and headed back to the village.