Playing the Part

They continued on the road until the entrance of Calbridge came into view. Delgan briefly looks back at the caravan behind him. Freya sat in the wagon between the slaves and the two hunters looking off into the distance. A bit uneasy, Delgan whispers to Rose. "Are we really toting around like this? We're taking on a bunch of random helpless people who probably can't even defend themselves in a fight, and some girl who would probably kill you even if she weren't in a fight" he whines. Rose sighed "women" she only said. Delgan glanced at her "what?" he asked, confused. Rose kept her gaze straight ahead. "You're a fool if you underestimate her as just 'some girl', you saw just as easy as I did what she's capable of. And that's while she has it under control" Rose added. Delgan scoffed "control? You call that control" he retorted. Rose rolled her eyes "she could have killed you, Del, she didn't, holding that restraint to kill... especially someone as annoying as fuck...that takes some serious control" Rose added. Delgan thought on that and nodded in acknowledgment, he smirked at the memory of the poison in his veins. He was about to admit she had a point when he caught on to the 'annoying as fuck' part of her statement. "Wait, what? I'm no-" Rose chuckled "don't even lie to yourself Del, I thought about killing you once or twice myself" she admitted. Delgan rolled his eyes at Rose's amusement, cracked his knuckles, and cleared his throat speaking loudly for Freya to hear.

  "Now listen, we have to make sure to act like we're merchants and sell the slaves to the Calbridge night guard, so don't act out" Delgan instantly turned around to stare at Freya. "So control yourself," He added. Freya gave him a mocking look. Delgan shook his head and turned back to look at Rose giving her another 'here we go' annoyed look.

   As they came to the main gate, Delgan got the permit ready. The guard analyzes the group for a moment before speaking. "Which one of you is the head merchant?" the guard asks. Delgan looks at the guard. "Me" he answered. The guard raises a brow, "Oh yea?" the guard eyes the clothed caravan. "Hope that's the special shipment we've been eagerly waiting for," the guard asks suspiciously. "What took you so long, you were supposed to be here an hour ago?" he questioned. Rose eyes Delgan, with a faux smile Delgan responds. "Ate a bad bowl of potage, had to make a few stops" He responds rubbing his belly for added emphasis. The guard's keen eyes searched Delgan's for any signs of false information. After a moment he let out a hideous laugh. "Hey we've all been there" he admits. Delgan laughs along with him as the guard opens the gate."Alright, tighten up that keister until you make it to the village. Go down that dirt path, drop off the 'merchandise', then you're free to relieve yourself all night long. The next shipment won't be needed until dawn tomorrow, so you got a bit of free time. See you then" the guard smiled while waving them in, closing the door behind them.

    As they make their way towards the delivery stop, Freya takes a look around and sees makeshift buildings. Some were falling apart and other buildings were rubble made into ash. 'They're barely holding this place together' Freya thinks to herself. As they continue down the alley, Delgan nudges Rose. "You think she'll be able to handle this?" He whispers trying not to catch Freya's attention. "Based on what we've seen, she can handle herself pretty well," Rose says reassuringly while nudging Delgan back. "Oh, my goddess" Freya whispers in disbelief. Rose and Delgan look before them seeing more slaves. They were all dressed identically, in loose fitting pants and tops. There were no sharp creases and no real color but ugly shades of beige brown. Worst of all, all their faces seemed just as dull and faded; they were like zombies.

     The smell of slaves and ash mixes with the scent of the sea on a hot summer night. It's a smell that never fails to make Delgan nauseous. Three soldiers wearing black steel armor, faces covered in scars, look battle hardened and exhausted, hail to Delgan to stop. One of the soldiers came closer to the front of the caravan. "Second wagon to the back right" The soldier instructed. He eyed Delgan waiting for a response. Delgan raised his chin and puffed up his chest. "Yes, now hurry up and unload them. The smell of these slaves are beginning to make my stomach turn" Delgan scoffs. The other two soldiers come to the second wagon and begin to unload the slaves, checking their shackles to make sure no one can attempt to escape. After another look, he nodded to another guard. "We're good back here, they can go" he called out. The guard in the front opens his satchel giving Delgan 80 gold coins. Delgan's face scrunches up "What the hell is this? Only 80 gold coins!" Delgan exclaimed. The soldier frowns "listen, I'll tell you what. Why don't you open up your wagons in the center over there and sell some goods. We agreed on 80 gold coins so don't be so stingy" he offered. Freya makes a face of disgust and turns towards Delgan. "what the fuck are you doing?" Freya hissed. "Playing his role, now quiet down. We don't need to make a scene" Rose whispered back. Delgan nodded to the guard and drove the caravan to the center of the town.

     Delgan, Rose, and Freya set up the shop as Delgan explains the next part of the plan. "Freya you need to stay here and play merchant while we check out the catacombs so we know what we're up against," Delgan said sternly. "uh excuse the fuck out of me, I thought I was to go into the archives to look for any information about my sister" she cursed while grasping Delgan's hand with brute strength. " Ow ow ow hey listen once we get back you can go to the archives. If we find a way to infiltrate it, it will allow us to come up with a better plan. Now please let go of fucking my hand" Delgan hurriedly explained. He winces in pain as Freya lets go of his hand. "Damn, first burned, then broken, you girls are gonna be the death of me" he muttered. "We're wasting time here, don't worry Freya, we will be back before you know it. I promise" Rose said endearingly. Freya grumbles. "Again with the waiting, '' she grunted. Watching the two head off into the darkness, Freya annoyingly begins to unload the goods from the caravan.