Scouting the Catacombs

Delgan Pov

      Delgan and Rose make their way to the catacombs. They watched some soldiers climb their way out of a caravan. They stretched and yawned as they begin to set up camp for the night. Rose and Delgan avoid them and head off deeper down the dim-lit dirt path. Careful not to raise suspicion, the two leisurely walked along the outside of the catacombs while looking for the best way in. From the outside, the catacombs were dull and ancient. If they didn't know any better they would think they were abandoned. Circling to the back, Rose eyed a set of stairs. They looked to be descending directly into the catacombs. There were only two guards around and they too were circling the ruins in the opposite direction. "Only two?" Rose questioned. Delgan thought for a moment then took a breath at the realization. "Remember what that head merchant said, there's a protective barrier of some sort around it... maybe those guards aren't trying to keep people out.." he trailed off, "but trying to keep the undead in" Rose finished. He nodded. "So what are we-" Rose began but got cut off instantly by Delgan pulling her down by her arm. "Get down" He instructed. 

     They hid behind some stones as a caravan approached the entrance. With a nod, the wagoner hopped off his seat and opened the caravan door. One by one, chained slaves came out in a line. There were men, women, children, and even elders in the line. They cried as they were being escorted down the catacomb stairs and basically led to slaughter. As the group of slaves walked across the barrier, their skin sizzled and decomposed almost instantaneously. They barely had a chance to scream before they practically disintegrated into dust. The smell of their flesh lasted longer than the sound of their cries. "Shit" was all Rose could say. Delgan didn't like the sight either, but they couldn't do anything yet. "I know this sucks, but we need a plan before we jump into action alright." Rose gritted her teeth but nodded. She didn't like feeling helpless, but she knew that nothing could be done until they found a way to get past the barrier. They'd have to figure this thing out before they made a move. Delgan looks away from the piles of ash. "We got everything we could here, let's get back to Freya and come up with a plan" He announces. Quickly, he walks back with Rose to the center of town as not to raise suspicion.