Frozen Fate

Delgan Pov

    Delgan watched Rose rush off to create her distraction, and Freya go free the slaves. He had no doubt Rose would complete her mission. As for Freya, even though he just met her, he could tell she would stay focused on freeing the enslaved villagers and cut down anyone who got in her way. Delgan gave a parting nod to the backs of his comrades as he went directly to the catacombs. Wanting to pace himself, he began to lightly jog. They only saw two guards when they surveyed the area, but Delgan was cautious. He wanted to save his energy for a possible battle. All those years running drills in the military paid off. He kept his breathing steady and his feet light as he made his way to the catacombs. As he drew closer, he could hear faint yelling. "Put out the fires before they spread!" panicked one guard. "Look, another fire! Quick get the water!" yelled another. Hearing the soldiers freak out to put a smile on Delgan's face. "Nice one Rose" He praised as he finally approached the catacombs. He slowed down as he drew closer to the entrance. The smile he had quickly faded as now his plan had a small kink in it. What was only two soldiers an hour ago, now became six. They all stood posted outside the catacombs. Delgan noticed two of the soldiers were wearing black steel armor. 'First and second commanders' Delgan noted to himself. He had hoped he would get to take out a couple of soldiers, but he didn't expect six of them. He especially didn't think he would be fighting off two commanders. 'Damn it! Come on Delgan get yourself together. The girls are doing their part. I must do mine.' he scolded himself. Delgan stepped out of the shadows and walked closer to the men guarding the area of the catacombs. The ground was moist, the air was cool, and the dead trees stood unmoving in the wind.

Delgan felt nostalgic. This wasn't the first time the odds were stacked against him. He unwrapped his bandages and brought his hand to his chest, sliding his fingers along the sigil that was given to him when he first joined the military. A blue hue started to appreciate and grow bright, startling the soldiers. They had to shield their eyes from its bright light. Walking slowly, the soldiers kept their hands on their weapons as they approached him. "who goes there?" one of the commanders in the steel armor spoke. "Oh spirit of the eight, lend me your strength as I strike down my foes" Delgan whispers. As the soldier got in range, Delgan pulled out his sword. It gleamed with a blue tinge as he slid it out its holster, a slight ringing could be heard from it as if the spirits themselves sang, cheering him on. "Thank you Arcadia" Delgan smirked before slinging his sword forward cutting through the soldier's steel armor slicing him in half. Blood coated his blade in the process. Delgan stared at his sword as the slightly blue light mixed with the blood of his foes. The light grew brighter as the sword made another claim of the fallen, adding another sacrificial spirit to the mass. It merged together, strengthening the blade. A wicked smile crossed his face as the other commander foolishly drew his blade and rushed him. "You dare cast magic against us? We will put you down intruder" the commander shouted ferociously swinging his sword like a mad man. Delgan just chuckled at the sight, swiftly dodging the commander's negligent attacks. "Enough of these games" Delgan sneered slamming his elbow into the commander's face. A loud crack could be heard as Delgan's sharp elbow met the bridge of the commander's nose. "Arrgghh" the commander screamed. He falls to his knees as his hands instantly reached for his nose to stop the bleeding. With a swift motion, Delgan swings his sword forward slicing the man's head right off.

    Breathing deeply, Delgan turns to face the last of the soldiers. Flashes of fear and worry cross their faces. "Come on now, don't be a bunch of cowards" Delgan challenged walking closer. They shook their fear away and ran towards him with their weapons drawn. "Hahaha" Delgan chuckled as he impaled the ground freezing it. A thick coat of ice frosted the dead trees and blanketed the ground. The air became much colder, as did the look on Delgan's face. Some of the soldier's feet were frozen in place and the others who managed to react fast enough couldn't gain their footing, slipping and sliding as Delgan walked forward unaffected, expressionless. "The townspeople are in a state of emptiness. None of you soldiers are. This means you are fully aware of what's going on here" Delgan sneers stabbing into the soldier closest to him killing him instantly. "Soldiers are meant to protect the innocent, not sacrifice them" Delgan roared slicing another one's throat. He paused, watching him choke on his own blood. He turned to face the remaining two. "It's soldiers like you that make me sick," Delgan says harshly as he beheads another soldier making his way towards the last one. The poor soldier turned pale and quickly tried to run away, but the ice only made him run in place. The soldier trips and crashes on his butt. Delgan stood over him like a god looking down on their creations. He began to panic as Delgan lifted his sword to the soldier's throat. Blood from the fallen dripped on his helpless armor. The sword's light magnified, practically begging Delgan for another soul. Delgan was happy to oblige. The sight of the trembling man before him made an ungodly smile stretch across Delgans face. The soldier was too afraid to move, too afraid to speak. His mouth hung open, terrified. "Get up" Delgan demanded.

    The soldier shakily stood to his feet and desperately tried to find his balance. With a small smirk Delgan turned away from the man "you have three seconds to go, now" he demanded. Surprised, the man nodded vigorously and moved to run. Again the ice floor stopped him. He couldn't move any further than where he was. "One" muttered Delgan as he took a step away from the soldier. The man desperately ran in place getting nowhere. 'Wait... I can't" he tried. "Two" Delgan counted, taking another step forward. Tears streamed down the soldier's face "p-please" he begged. Delgan slowly turned around, a wicked smile still on his face. Gripping his sword with two hands he finished, "three". The soldier looked to the unforgiving heavens as Delgan slams his sword into the ground towards the last soldier. The ice became like glass. Shards sliced through the air and flung into the soldier's direction dismembering his body like it was nothing. With no more enemies left, the swords blue light dimmed. Delgan watched as the satisfied light went out, resting until his next battle. Delgan looked around at all he had done. "I hate the cold" he admitted. The ice around him melts and becomes a puddle of water, mud, and blood. Surrounded by corpses, he looks at the sigils on his hand remembering a time before they were placed there. His face becomes filled with sorrow. He could hear Rose coming up behind him. Forcing a chuckle, he quickly adjusted his mood so that she didn't see the state he was in. He turned around with a smile. "Guess we're all set" he grinned as Freya entered the field. "Those fires will keep them busy" Rose insured. Freya got a little closer "ha wait till they find out all their slaves are gone." Freya added looking around Delgans battlefield "what the hell happened here?" she asked. Delgan forced out another chuckle, "haha, nothing much, Let's get moving" he answered and headed towards the catacomb barrier. Rose and Freya shared a look before deciding not to push it further and followed behind him.