Lighting Up The Darkness

Freya Pov

   Before entering the catacombs a familiar pull from the darkness slithers up Freya's spine causing a chill to spread throughout her body. "Do you guys feel that?" Freya asked turning to Rose and Delgan. "What is it? Do you see her again?" Rose answers eyeing Freya cautiously. "No... but I swear I've felt this before" Freya says. She walked towards the darkness feeling comfort in it. "We're so close, I just have to get through this barrier" Freya decides reaching out to touch it. "Careful Freya, you know what the head merchant said. Anyone who dares to go through this barrier will literally turn to dust." Rose states moving forward to stop her. "Trust me," Freya says turning to look at Rose. "Just like I have trusted both of you" Freya added as she turn back. She placed her hands on the barrier and took a step forward. She could feel Sylvie's magic start to burn her flesh the closer she moved to the barrier. The pain was intense. 'Breath...just a little more" Freya calmed herself. She concentrated on finding the source of Sylvie's magic. Searching through the darkness, Freya finally finds it. "Sylvie" Freya mutters. As she reaches to connect her light magic, the world goes black.

    Freya finds herself in the protective bubble she was in five years ago, the pain and suffering threaten to swallow her whole as she fights for the control of her own darkness. Her mental barrier weakens as she continues to force her way through her sister's magic. 'Frey...I can't...I can't fight her much longer' Sylvie's voice echoes through her mind. 'Syl...is that you?' Freya questions the darkness.'Make it stop Frey...please, I don't want to be alone anymore' Sylvie's voice begs her. 'How can I help you?' Freya pleads, searching the darkness for her sister. 'I'LL SHOW YOU!' Sylvie's voice becomes monstrous as it roars through Freya's mind, infecting her as it slithers its way towards Freya's mental barrier and shatters it. "Arghhhh" Freya screams as she's thrown into Sylvie's memories. Flashing pictures burn through her mind. A searing pain engulfs her as she watches her sister being dragged away from their mother and Freya's body, kicking and screaming as she fights against her captors. 'Ohh..Syl' Freya chokes back her tears as the sorrow her sister felt five years ago forced its way into her body wrapping around her like a snake. Freya watches as soldiers strap Sylvie to a table. As they stab needles into her, she begs for them to stop. 'No..noo please' Freya groans as her sister's fear creeps into her forcing her body to fold, making her fall to her knees. Freya watches as her sister pleads to the darkness hitting, tugging, and pulling at the bars that kept her from escaping until finally dropping to the floor cradling her knees, sobbing silently. 'Oh, goddess...make it stop' Freya begs as her sister's loneliness hits her like a ton of bricks. Freya watches as her sister uses her death magic for the first time, tears streaming down her face as her dark mist invades an innocent villagers' body. She watched them convulse uncontrollably, blood pouring from their eyes, and mouths gasping for air as the life leaves their eyes. 'No...no more I can't' Freya gasps clutching her chest as the torture her sister feels consumes her. Freya forces herself to stand up, her heartaches as she feels all of her sister's hatred she has for everyone.

     Freya felt her legs wobble, threatening to crumble beneath her. Feeling five years of Sylvie's pain slap into her in just a few seconds was taking its toll on Freya. As the vision of Sylvie getting tortured played in her mind, Freya could feel it as if it was happening to her. She could feel her wrist be tightly bound as the vision of Sylvie gets strapped to a table. As doctors shove long needles in Sylvie's arms, sharp pains pinched Freya's. She could see people chanting around a screaming Sylvie like she was a demon they were trying to cast out. Black magic flowed through her and engulfed her eyes. They turned pitch black as a think dark cloud poured out her screaming mouth. They chanted louder, in an ancient tongue. Ruins spread all around Sylvie's body like a spell. It dug into her flesh as if it were engraved there. Her skin sizzled as the encantation completed its imprint. Freya trembled and screeched in pain as her own flesh felt as if it were on fire. As Sylvie's dark magic flew through her, so did this cursed spell. Similar ruins scribbled their way up Freyas arms and face. Steam flew into the air as the symbols started to visibly make engravings on Freya's flesh. Freya groaned as her eyes became engulfed in the dark magic. Black painful tears stained her cheeks.

    "Stop! Freya, it's too much, you won't survive if it goes on like this..." Rose demanded. Freya let out another miserable shriek. Knife-like vines gashed through the ground and uncontrollably sliced through the air. The ground began to shake threatening to crack open. Rose and Delgan dodge through the swinging vines and rush to Freya's side. Wanting to pull her out of this chaos, Rose goes to touch Freya. "NO! Don't touch her" Delgan yells and slaps Rose's hands away. "She needs our help" Rose spat, glaring at Delgan. "We can't help her if we're dead" Delgan added rationally. Rose grunted but knew he was right. "Freya, I know you can hear us! I don't know what you can see, or what exactly is going on, but I need you to push through and hurry the fuck up. You can't die doing this. You've come too far to give in to this darkness now, I've seen the shit you can do. Show your sister the badass you are now! You have to fight it!!" Rose says encouragingly. "Don't let it control you, you can't let it control you" Rose recites Freya's chant to her.

     From inside the darkness, Sylvie's death magic fought against Freya's hidden darkness and started to win. Freya couldn't see Rose, but she could hear her. "Show your sister the badass you are now!" Rose's voice called out to her. 'Who I am now?' Freya thought through the pain. Freya had always tried to control the darkness within her, but that wasn't all she was. A small light shined through the darkness.

      Freya thought about the years gone by and the fight she fought to find her sister. Battles played in her mind. Countless battles, all to make it back to Sylvie. Freya pictures the corpses she left behind, tangled in vines. 'Vines...Earth magic' Freya remembered. The light grew brighter. 'I am not all darkness, I still have life magic inside me, I made a promise to my sister to protect her, I haven't given up yet and I won't start now' Freya commanded herself. Focusing on the light, Freya called upon her life magic. The more she pulled from it, the bigger the light grew.

     The ruins on her flesh receded back up her arms and her eyes returned to normal, she could see again. Freya watched the black magic being pushed back into the bubble, but that wasn't enough. Channeling her own power, Freya pushed her life magic into the bubble. The darkness fought back trying to push her out. Freya pulled more life from within her, but she needed more. Freya shut her eyes and focused on the life around her. The wild vines stopped swinging as she regained control of them. They pushed against her back giving her more support. Freya channeled life energy from them. The earth responded, gladly to aid Freya. She had never done this before, used outside energy to fuel her own. It felt amazing and she felt stronger than she ever had before. Freya opened her eyes to see her hands glowing a bright yellow. She shut her eyes again not wanting to break concentration. Giving it everything she had, she forced the buildup of life energy through the barrier. The darkness was no match. Freya could feel it cracking. Desperately, Freya forced the last bit of energy she had. "Ahhhhh" Freya screams in exertion. The dark barrier rumbled and shattered into pieces. Freya's arms dropped heavily to her sides in exhaustion. Her legs wobbled again before giving out under her. The vines that supported her caught her and gently lowered her to the ground as they retreated back into the earth's crust. "Thank you.." She whispers to no one, and passes out.

"Frey...Frey'' a familiar voice called. "Sylvie..is that you" Freya croaked out, barely a whisper. She reaches for the voice. "Freya...Freya, wake up damn it" Rose says angrily while hiding her worry. She shakes Freya again trying to wake her. "Rose?" Freya questioned dazed and confused. "Did it work?" She asked, blinking back to consciousness. Freya opens her eyes to see Delgan and Rose smiling down at her. "You did it Freya!" Delgan commended happily, helping her to her feet. "I knew you could do it" Rose grins proudly, resting her hand on Freya's shoulder enduringly. Freya chuckles at their embraces and remembers the horrible images she saw of her sister. "Let's go kill this bastard" Freya demands with revenge on her mind.