The Distraction

Rose Pov

      Rose knew exactly what to do. Using the cover of night, Rose snuck into a nearby resource tent. "ok, oil.. oil.. oil where are you oil?" she questioned the darkness. Rose made her way to the back where she found 3 barrels of lard lantern oil. "Nice" Rose smirked, "oh I can work with this" she exclaimed. Quietly, Rose rolled one barrel out of the tent. Inconspicuously, she made her way to the soldier's encampment. Rose carefully tilted the barrel to its side. Its pitch-black contents oozed out in thick streams. Its oily remains spilled on the sides of the soldier's tents. She repeated this action on three other tents as well. She made sure to connect each tent by forming a line with the oil. After connecting each tent by the streams of black liquid, Rose continued the line of oil to a distant tree where she hid. She tossed the barrel aside. "Ok focus" she instructed herself. Rose, knelt in the dirt and hovered both of her hands above the end of the oil line. With deep breaths, she channeled the fire within her. She could feel the heat rising in her chest as it made its way through her arms. Rose closed her eyes to focus her powers and not lose control. She only practice her magic throughout the years when it was necessary. And only on a small scale. When she used it too much, she could feel a piece of her slipping away. She didn't like to admit it out loud, but it made her nervous. Like something is constantly waiting for Rose to slip up, to lose control, and be lost forever to the flames.

       She shook off her nerves and continued focusing on channeling. The heat was in her palms now. She continued to breathe as she allowed the heat to increase in temperature. Rose opened her eyes. She could see her palms were illuminating a bright orange. It could have been angelic compared to the night, but Rose knew better. It was dangerous, she, was dangerous. And she needed to stay focused. Smoke could be visibly seen rising from the pool of oil. "Just a little more" Rose encouraged herself. She channeled even more power from deep within her. It's a good thing she was resistant to heat because she was sure she would be sweating profusely from the heat if she wasn't. Pulling even more energy to her palms, Rose focused on the puddle of oil in front of her. The smoke grew and suddenly the oil burst into flames. A blue fire roared and burned orange. The fire followed the path of oil to one of the tents. Rose watched as the first tent went up in flames. Rose stood to her feet at the sight, "I did it" she praised. The flames engulfed the tent and soared to the night sky creating clouds of smoke. The fire danced in her eyes. She could hear the soldiers begin to go haywire as the next tent caught on fire. "We need all hands on deck, put out the flames!" a soldier yelled as yet another tent went up in flames. "Holy hell" Rose chuckled to herself at the sight of the burning resources, tents, and men. Watching all the chaos before her sent a tingle through her. She could swear she could hear the flames talking to her, edging her to destroy more, to let go, to lose control. "Give in to me" enticed the voice. Rose could feel herself moving towards the flames as they called out to her. Had she imagined it? An alarm inside her tugged at her to snap out of it. Rose blinked and used the faint warning as a way to break out of her trance. The soldiers still struggled to put out the fires. Remembering her task, Rose used this opportunity to split off and meet Freya and Delgan at the catacombs.