65

"As for my story-- I met Grisha and Monika... twenty years ago, now? We met outside the walls. Right in front of Wall Maria, by Shiganshina District..." Shadis started.

.
.
.
.
.

- Year 832 -

"Hey, you two! What are you guys doing here?! How did you get past the wall?!" a younger Keith Shadis asked the two younger versions of Grisha and Monika.

Monika hid behind Grisha with a terrified look on her face. Grisha took a step back and placed his arm in front of Monika, protectively.

Both of their clothes are messy and tattered, some scratches and dirt are visible on their faces.

"Wh-What about you people? What are you doing on this side of the w-wall?" Grisha stuttered, his brows furrowed and slightly leaned in.

"You couldn't possibly fighting out here, could you?" Grisha said.

"What?" Shadis exhaled in disbelief.

"...Isn't it clear from our appearances? We're the Survey Corps." Shadis told them.

"S-Survey... Corps?" Monika's meek voice reached their ears as she peek behind Grisha.

"Huh!? Do you... do you two not know who we are?" Shadis slowly asked in surprise.

How could they not know about the Survey Corps? Their wings of freedom can be easily recognized by everyone inside the wall. Heck, even small children and elders know about them! Shadis can only furrow his brows at the two who's unfamiliar with who they are.

Grisha didn't answer as Monika slowly shook her head, her messy short black hair waved as she did so.

Shadis let out a sigh and nodded.

"Get up here for now. We can talk once we're inside the walls." Shadis said and offered a hand for them to take.

"Was they telling the truth? They both claimed not to remember how they got outside the walls. Or anything else about themselves, for that matter. All that they could remember was their names. Grisha Yeager and Monika Winter."

"Never would've guessed it was illegal to go out there without permission." a younger drunk Hannes said as he looked at Grisha and Monika, who were inside the cell.

Hannes' hair was slightly shorter and he had a skinnier appearance.

"As far as I knew, it was the first time this law had ever been applied." Hannes looked at the side to look at Shadis and chuckled.

"And I never woulda bet on anyone outside the Survey Corps bein' dumb enough to try it." Hannes said, blush covered his cheeks since he was slightly drunk.

"Well, were you aware there's also a law meant to keep idiots from drinking on duty, Hannes?" Shadis said and crossed his arms.

"Oh, don't say those things! Anyways, it's not like they would hurt anyone, that girl looks around 18! Not only they lost all their memories of everything down to who their family is, when they came to, they were outside the walls! Scary stuff!" Hannes exclaimed.

"And they're telling the truth? They could be some suicidal debtor who decided they'd go and falsify their own family register." Shadis said, still suspicious of them. It's rare to see civilian people outside the walls, who wouldn't be suspicious of them?

"Like I'd be able to figure that out! What a pain..." Hannes said and sighed.

"As I was saying earlier, it's not like they would hurt anyone, so can we keep this one between us?" Hannes told Shadis, who turned at the two.